Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB Magazine

Notices

Old 1st June 2018, 12:08 PM
Terrahawk

Default Fab 89

...arrived this morning. Together with Joe 90 booklet and a brand new sales list. Whilst looking at the news pages and the story about Captain Scarlet Bluray Vol 3, I realised, quite shamefully, that I hadn't noticed the colour change for the car in 'Special Assignment'. I am strangely impressed that they went to the trouble to do this, as even though the car is the wrong design (in close up) it is at least the right colour! A shame there is no news yet regarding volume 4.
Old 1st June 2018, 04:11 PM
Terrahawk

Being an old git (and one who was living in the Southern TV area at the time), I do remember watching The Secret Service in the early 1970s. I was slightly bemused by it, but remember accepting it as a 'Gerry Anderson show', bearing in mind that there was a lot of diversity on display in terms of style between Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Joe 90 and UFO. I'll admit that, if nothing else, the cutaway of the church and the accompanying review has made me want to watch the series again for the first time in many, many years.
Old 2nd June 2018, 12:04 PM
Squealer

FAB arrived today which was a nice surprise, including the Joe 90 Close Up book.

A slight criticism though. 20 pages out of 54 are devoted to non Gerry Anderson productions -between New TBs and Space Patrol. Articles will no doubt be interesting, but are we running out of things to say about Anderson productions?

Keith
Old 2nd June 2018, 03:45 PM
Mario Coletti

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo View Post

A slight criticism though. 20 pages out of 54 are devoted to non Gerry Anderson productions -between New TBs and Space Patrol. Articles will no doubt be interesting, but are we running out of things to say about Anderson productions?

Keith
I was thinking the same, saturnapollo but I am interested in the Space Patrol article as the show makes a good comparison with Fireball XL5 - also Arthur Provis having an involvement with this series created by Roberta Leigh. I didn't get the Joe 90 Close-Up book but that's all been sorted out now I hope.
Old 2nd June 2018, 09:38 PM
Banned

The sooner this CGI series of TAG ends the better and then we can stop discussing something with no Anderson involvement.

As Space Patrol hasn't been covered in depth before the new Bluray release seems a good moment for it to get one off coverage in the magazine. It's safe to assume that many people will have some interest in it due to its similarities to the genuine stuff.

The Doppelganger soundtrack appears in the sales list again but seems frustratingly still out of reach for an unknown amount of time

High quality mag as usual but will be pleased when service returns to normal
Old 2nd June 2018, 11:05 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinspector View Post
The sooner this CGI series of TAG ends the better and then we can stop discussing something with no Anderson involvement.
No chance of that really, once the series ends there will still be regular retrospectives as well as in-depth individual episode articles, making off features and plenty of trivia. Love it or hate it, TAG is here to stay, and with at least 78 episodes, there's a heck of a lot to cover for years to come. Huzzah!

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 2nd June 2018, 11:13 PM
Squealer

I realise you happen to like it, but it is a reimagining of a Gerry Anderson series (a much superior one I have to say). And Fanderson is set up to honour the works of Gerry Anderson, not a poor imitation in which he had no input.

Keith
Old 3rd June 2018, 11:55 AM
Alien

Location: Australia - never been anywhere else...and barely seen much of Oz come to think of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo View Post
I realise you happen to like it, but it is a reimagining of a Gerry Anderson series (a much superior one I have to say). And Fanderson is set up to honour the works of Gerry Anderson, not a poor imitation in which he had no input.

Keith
I agree. It's on TV in Oz just about every day and occasionally (when nothing else is on) I've stopped to watch it....and quickly found something else - anything else really - to watch instead. But it's Thunderbirds (sort of) so there are bound to be fans.

As for future FAB issues, I imagine it is going to be harder to find material to write about. I guess Space Patrol has a connection but I remember series very well. I hated it....to me it was a poor man's Fireball XL5. Maybe when I read the article I'll see something of merit in it....but not enough to get it on DVD. ;-)

I only recently rejoined Fanderson (after a few years in having-to-watch-the-budget-to-pay-the-bills exile and a long stretch in hospital) and it will be interesting to see where FAB goes.

Last edited by Keryn; 3rd June 2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 3rd June 2018, 08:10 PM
Lab Monkey

Default Fab 89

Received FAB89 on Friday with much delight; Joe 90 Close Up book was excellent (perhaps the best of all the Close Up books we're received to date). The clarity of Blu-Ray is allowing for all kinds of good spots, adding to the enjoyment of reading. Looking forward to FAB90 which I hope contains further Joe 90 material in this, its 50th year. I'm going to try and watch Trial at Sea so as to contribute to Timelash...

Not wanting to be controversial, but I don't mind the new Thunderbirds are Go; it's different to the original but still true to the original concept created by Gerry and Sylvia Anderson. That fact for me merits some coverage in FAB magazine. Just a view, appreciate not everyone agrees.
Old 3rd June 2018, 08:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoflaw View Post

Not wanting to be controversial, but I don't mind the new Thunderbirds are Go; it's different to the original but still true to the original concept created by Gerry and Sylvia Anderson. That fact for me merits some coverage in FAB magazine. Just a view, appreciate not everyone agrees.
I agree it merits some coverage but not to the level that the guy above seems to want.
Perhaps time to survey the membership to see how many want it rather than wait for renewals to decrease. Much easier to cater for the majority than to entice them back once they're gone.
An increasing level of pages devoted to the CGI series seems to indicate that we are running out of things to say about the genuine shows.
While the threads about the new show seem to be keeping this forum from dying I wonder what the overall feeling is throughout the whole membership?