Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Runway 29

Notices

Old 21st November 2017, 08:57 PM
Mexican Bandit

Default Terrahawks - BD or DVD?

Hey folks,

Just wanted to get a read from people who may have been able to directly compare Network's Terrahawks remaster.

I got volume 1 of the BluRay release to check the quality. Sadly, other than some richer colours, it basically didn't look much better than the VHS quality that my memory is based off.

Now that the complete sets have been released, I was wondering if it would be better to simply buy the DVD boxset? It would contain remastered material, and I think the upscaling of my BD player might honestly look better than inferior BD transfers (several episodes of which are upscaled anyway.

So, would 'boosting' a 480p resolution look better than what the BD does?
Old 21st November 2017, 09:14 PM
Paradox Pilot

I will assume you are not joking.
I don't recall the specific episodes but there are a handful for which decent materials are lost and the Bluray had to make do with a broadcast master and this would look disappointing.
However the majority of the episodes are like chalk and cheese to the dvd's which remain among some of the most appalling released. I can't see why anyone would choose to watch them again.
Are you sure you sampled more than one episode?

Better quality from upscaling is a myth. While player or tv will upscale lower definition to fill your higher definition screen it won't do anything to improve the quality. Crap will remain crap - as the Terrahawks dvd's demonstrate.
The fact that some people try and claim their dvd when upscaled looks as good as Bluray just shows that some people don't know good quality when they see it.

The one time you could say that upscaling does improve the quality a tad is when some studios (thankfully mostly in Germany) put standard definition material onto Bluray discs. In these cases the extra capacity allows for less compression and high bitrates but SD still remains SD and won't look like HD even then.

Last edited by theinspector; 21st November 2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 3rd December 2017, 08:37 PM
Cloudbase Doctor

If that's your case, you're better off getting the Blu-ray release. It looks better than a DVD upscaled on a Blu-ray player.

Though to me, I buy both formats. That way if you feel like watching or in a situation where you can only watch a DVD, you have that box set.