Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Runway 29

Notices

Old 28th May 2017, 12:11 PM
Lazoon

Default Barry Gray Centenary Concert

Hi,

Having been able to see the footage of this at the Convention in 2010, I have to ask if there are any plans to make this available in any way ?

I seem to remember asking this at the time and the answer being it was in the pipeline.

Would appreciate it if anyone can shed some light on this.

Thanks !
Old 18th July 2017, 11:07 PM
Butler

I asked Ralph Titterton about this, and he had quite a complex answer. However, to boil it down:

- it was possible to edit together the footage, add titles etc. but there would be an associated cost

- in order to publically release the film, the producer would have to retro-actively agree to performance payments, residuals, etc. etc. for every performing member of the orchestra and other accompanists/soloists

- the effort, and the total cost of these activities would make the project uneconomical and unlikely to recoup it's costs.

Ralph explained it quite carefully, and it was apparent he was sad about it, but he was also very realistic and had accepted the situation. He has more recently directed his energies into transcription and professional scoring/arrangement of Barry's music, and the results are quite excellent. If you have any musical inclination, I can highly recommend them.

I suspect it would be best to get a proper explanation from Ralph himself - he is friendly and approachable (especially if you buy him a pint!)