Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Runway 29

Notices

Old 10th October 2016, 09:55 PM
Skybase Engineer

Default Supermarionation Title Fonts

I didn't know where this thread should be placed, but I apologise if I'm in the wrong place.

I've often wondered what the title fonts are for some of Gerry Anderson's shows are called.

I'm not referring to show title fonts, of course, as they're well known, but the fonts used for title cards of each episodes.

I know what the fonts are for Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet and Supercar, but does anyone know the names of the fonts for Fireball XL5, Stingray, Joe 90 and Secret Service's title cards are?

It's the Stingray title card fonts that I'm most interested in knowing. I'm making my own re-editing of "The Reunion Party" and I'm hoping to find the original episode font for the show, to make the title cards more authentic, if you know what I mean.
Old 14th October 2016, 11:24 AM
Zarin

Not sure if this is any help but I found a site that has loads of fonts that can be downloaded.
I've selected the Fireball font for you....

http://www.1001freefonts.com/search....&search=search
Old 18th October 2016, 12:21 PM
Agent Blake

Joe 90 - Futura Display
The Secret Service - Clarendon Bold

Not sure about Stingray - I was wondering whether it might be hand drawn. There's a font called 'Mouse Memoirs' which is pretty near if you're stuck.
Old 18th October 2016, 09:59 PM
Griselda

Stingray one definitely isn't bespoke - I see it all over the place, Supermarket Sweep for one!
Old 19th October 2016, 11:17 AM
Agent Blake

Fireball XL5 - Mistral (this one was bugging me because I recognised it!)

Stingray - the genius called Steve Ferrera who created the font in David's link has also created one simply called 'Anderson Stingray Font'! The 'lower case' option (the second set on the linked page) is the title card font - it loses the upper horizontal slab serifs of the main font.

http://www.dafont.com/anderson-stingray.font

Last edited by Deep Joy; 19th October 2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 23rd October 2016, 11:25 PM
Skybase Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Joy View Post
Fireball XL5 - Mistral (this one was bugging me because I recognised it!)

Stingray - the genius called Steve Ferrera who created the font in David's link has also created one simply called 'Anderson Stingray Font'! The 'lower case' option (the second set on the linked page) is the title card font - it loses the upper horizontal slab serifs of the main font.

http://www.dafont.com/anderson-stingray.font
Nah, it's not the one.

The Stingray Font seems to have variants on "Catseye" and "Arab Brushstroke", but it isn't either.
Old 28th October 2016, 05:57 PM
Skybase Engineer

I believe the Stingray title card typeface is Handy Casual Condensed.

Some of the letters are off (the H and the O for instance), but everything else accurately matches that of the letters on the show's titles.
Old 3rd November 2016, 07:58 AM
Skybase Engineer

One final note.

Because I have been unsuccessful in finding the real typeface for Stingray's title cards, I've made the decision to make it myself.

I've had experience as a cartoonist, so I'm sure getting a few letters done will be a breeze for me. It's just so that anyone who is trying to complete the collection of Supermarionation typefaces can do so.

So, if anyone's interested, I can share the typeface, should I succeed in getting it made.
Old 3rd November 2016, 10:16 AM
Spacehawk

I am certainly interested, as i like to use the correct fonts when titling my artwork. Thanks in advance.
Old 31st May 2017, 04:10 PM
Skybase Engineer

Here are 26 letters from the Stingray font, which I cut from the episode credits sequences by brightening the images up to remove the lilac backgrounds.

The "Q" was taken from the on-screen title for "Aquanaut of the Year".

Now, I know there are some lower case letters available in the end credits, an "n" and an "r" for most (Richard Best Jnr.), but for episodes written by Gerry and Sylvia, we also get "a" and "d". The Barry Gray music books seen in the soundtrack CDs spell his name in lower-case and uses this font too. The additional lower-case letters we get there are "b", "g" and "y".

But hopefully this image will help give an idea on what the font looks like, and maybe then someone here will know of a match. So far, I've been told Arab Brushstroke, Amber and Handy Casual are the ones, and some have even suggested "Simpson" and "Impress", but I have NO matches there.

I'm really keen to get hold of this font. Does ANYONE know what it is?