Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Ebay The Unexpected

Notices

Old 17th June 2015, 07:41 PM
Mexican Bandit

Default Original Channel 5/Polygram Thunderbirds VHS Videos (Volumes 1-16)

Hello
Due to a mix of advances in technology (!) but mostly due to a forthcoming marriage and the need for space, I'm contemplating putting my original Channel 5 / Polygram Thunderbirds Volumes 1-16 video cassettes up for sale.

I've not used the internet market so would welcome opinons as to;
(1) whether they would sell?
(2) sell individually or as a complete set of 16?
(3) what would constitute a reasonable price individually or for the set?

As you may remember the Channel 5 videos, volumes 4-16 feature the wonderful artwork of Steve Kyte.
The videos are in a reasonable condition (obviously, following a number of plays on the VCR). They were originally purchased between 1986 - 1991. I believe they are a collectors item.

Any views would be greatly appreciated.

I must stress that I am NOT marketing the videos here on the Fanderson Forum (that would be inappropriate), I am merely seseking opinions for a potential sale.

I have Stingray, Captain Scarlet, Joe 90 too, but these are a mix of the original Channel 5 releases and the new Poygram ones. I also have the complete Secret Service and (to my knowledge) all of the Supercar and Fireball XL5 which were released by ITC. I am also considering the sale of these too.

Regards
Stephen (Man of Law)
Old 17th June 2015, 08:44 PM
Banned

I wouldn't expect to get very much for any of them. They are a curiosity only but a reasonable price for each complete collection should be easy enough to get.

As for the other shows , as long as they are complete I wouldn't worry if they are a mix of C5 and Polygram. List them as complete series and they should sell but bear in mind a complete boxset of TB in a nice box can be purchased for a bit over 20.
Old 17th June 2015, 09:02 PM
Mexican Bandit

A fair point made phelings; why would anyone pay a lot for old Thunderbirds VHS when the DVDs are available for 20.00 at present? I'm hoping that a budding enthusiast would be interested but who knows?

I appreciate that because of the DVD market and price and the depreciation of the property in question, a reasonable price will have to be a low one.

Thanks for your views on the other shows on VHS too.
Old 18th June 2015, 10:29 AM
Dreisenberg Agent

Somehow I'd got two sets of Channel 5's six Terrahawks VHS releases, so decided to put one of the sets on Ebay a few years ago. I don't know whether it was the subject matter or because everyone had moved on to DVD that was the reason but they failed to sell, twice, and I only started them at 1 I think. On the third attempt they finally sold, but I think it was only for about a fiver.

The one thing I really wish I'd done before getting rid of any of my sell-through VHSs was to have scanned the sleeves. They're probably of more interest than the programmes themselves now. That said, VHS is showing itself to be a remarkably resilient format, with recordings still watchable nearly 40 years on. The same can't be said for DVD-R.

The other thing you could do is donate them. My choir rehearses at a nursery school and I've never thought about how they get through children's clothes due to (ahem) mis-haps during the day and then children have nothing clean to go home in. So now, if I see anything that I think might be useful to them, I always donate it. You might find a very grateful playgroup (or even old people's home) who would take them off your hands.
Old 18th June 2015, 08:59 PM
Banned

Depending on what clearances are required, video covers might be a good subject for the next Fanderson guidebook.

You could go right back to the Precision Video releases in the easy to break plastic cases and with each volume of the C5 / Polygram/ITC video releases for all the series there would be more than enough content for a book.

Having sold them I re-purchased the second batch of Star Trek TOS VHS releases just so I could transfer the cast intros that accompanied each volume but I've never even bothered to try and sell them as I assume they won't fetch a price that makes selling them worthwhile but I would check to see if any tapes you scrap or sell contain something you might not be able to find on any other release.

I do recall that when I purchased a dvd player in Feb 98 it was not widely adopted yet so I sold my entire collection of Laserdiscs and took an entire bootful of VHS tapes to a shop in Kettering where I got the princely sum of 1 a tape. That included all my Trek tapes and Anderson also although I did have home recordings of much Anderson so I kept those in case the wait for dvd was a long time.

There are still VHS releases out there that remain unreleased on any other format (Power Themes 90 for one) and some are unlikely to get any other commercial release.

If you're desperate to get rid of the tapes list them on ebay at 20 Buy It Now . I wouldn't go with Royal Mail for postage but someone like Hermes should be able to do the set for 5.28 including up to 50 compo if they get lost.
Old 21st June 2015, 09:00 PM
Mexican Bandit

Nick and Phelings both make excellent points about the covers - and this is something that I will try to look into.

I appreciate Nick's comments on his experience of selling via eBay previously. I had considering donating them also.

I appreciate Phelings additional comments too about selling them as a buy it now for 20.00. Thanks for the postage tip too.

Further comments welcome.
Old 5th August 2015, 12:59 AM
Griselda

I'd love a guide book with decent prints of all the various cover arts and features. Would be a definite purchase for me.
Old 21st August 2015, 11:32 AM
Spacehawk

I agree with all of the above, especially if it included some of the fantastic artwork on the Japanese laserdiscs.
Old 12th November 2015, 10:40 PM
Mexican Bandit

Months on and the saga continues... I'm till no further forward with moving the videos on, but given certain previous comments, perhaps the sleeves are of greater value than the cassettes? Maybe I should keep the sleeves in a file and dispose of the cassettes and boxes?
Thoughts welcome and appreciated?
Old 13th November 2015, 01:00 PM
R.A.T.

Manoflaw, I can't advise re the sleeves, I have no idea on that score. Recently I decided to have a major junk clean out myself. If time is of the essence, and no one is biting on EBay, getting rid to a good charity may be the easiest most practical option. Alternatively the children's dept of a local hospital or youth group?

I have two video recorders that I managed to get repaired but I also decided to scale things back. I won't get them repaired again in the future, in favour of focusing on DVD and the new age of blueray. To that end, I have donated all my videos to charity except three Channel 5 Thunderbirds tapes for sentimental reasons and a few individual tapes from the Star Trek TNG era series. As They were always released as complete season sets on DVD, it's a pain if you are only after certain episodes! I have also kept any blank tapes with personal recordings, which in time will be transferred.
Everything else is now on DVD.

For sentimentality if nothing else, scanning the covers would mean you could keep a record of them for posterity if you like?

Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 13th November 2015 at 01:02 PM.