Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Harlington Straker Studios > Exposed

Notices

Old 30th August 2013, 02:31 AM
Lazoon

Default So, About That FOX Kids Series.

Here's a question I have no doubt there probably isn't a definitive answer for, but what's the harm in trying?

As we know (or choose not to know out of sheer embarrassment), Thunderbirds underwent a modernization attempt in the mid-90's for an American audience, or so they believed. Broadcast as part of the Saturday morning line-up on the FOX network, this new version of the show was apparently a ratings smash... for a few weeks before it nosedived hard.

The question I have is: which episodes underwent the cut-and-dub treatment? Apparently there were 13 selected (or so I've heard. Mr. Bentley apparently went into detail in one of the guides, but I don't own a copy, so cannot check for myself), though I've read elsewhere the number is 6.

'Trapped In The Sky' and 'Pit Of Peril' were part of the package, and this is known for a fact, thanks to online video sharing sites of certain repute. Other episodes released on VHS at the time were 'Martian Invasion', 'Terror In New York City', and 'The Uninvited', so it's fair to assume they were dubbed as well. But what of the other stories?

It's sad when there is more information about Turbocharged Thunderbirds to work with. For a start, we know 13 episodes were broadcast, and what the source material was for all of them.
Old 8th November 2013, 03:55 PM
Lazoon

Send a message via Skype™ to Discovery Angel

I'll get back to you regarding Thunderbirds.

Here's an episode. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUBYTU_Vyl0

That I know of, likewise Trapped In The Sky and Pit of Peril, Terror In New York City, The Uninvited and Martian Invasion.

I believe that Attack Of the Alligators! was also cut and dubbed but don't quote me on that.

Last edited by Discovery Angel; 8th November 2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 9th November 2013, 12:18 PM
Spacehawk

Wink

I think that a lot of people pretty much choose not to acknowledge the existence of the series that shall not be named, and I am not referring to Star Trek. The lucky ones are the people who have never seen it!

There was a screening of a couple of episodes of Turbocharged Thunderbirds at the last Fanderson convention and being curious went in to the screening room with a couple of other attendees and watched them.

After wards I had a couple of questions regards what I had just watched.

WTF was that all about!
Why would someone do that to Thunderbirds.
Why would anyone in their right mind think that a series like that was a good idea in the first place.
What medication were the producers taking, or was the dose not strong enough!
And can I have my hour back!

You can tell I have no strong feelings about this series either way!

http://www.tnthobbies.co.uk/index.htm
Old 13th March 2014, 06:25 AM
Lazoon

Default FOX On The Run!

Discovery Angel, thanks for the response. In all honesty, I didn’t expect members to actually reply, given the FOX Kids edition is barely known to the collective fandom at large, and those of us whom are aware of its existence (along with its follow-up show ‘Turbocharged Thunderbirds’, but more on that below) barely wish to talk about it. And having seen the episode you linked to, I can certainly understand why.

To call it a ‘finished product’ would be a mistake, as the voice acting and editing leave the impression they produced a rough cut (though it was their first episode, and I’m willing to give benefit of the doubt that they would have improved as it went along). Was it general laziness? Did the network demand each episode be recorded, edited, and finished in a ridiculously limited period of time? Had a potentially limited budget resulted in hiring as little voice actors as possible? Do we even care at all? Probably not, and I doubt we’ll be getting a proper explanation anytime soon.

But I’m not here to bash a television show after seeing a single episode. Getting back on track, I’m certainly interested to hear that ‘Attack Of The Alligators!’ was potentially cut/dubbed too. It is entirely possible they did (and this is strengthened by the fact ‘Turbocharged’ did their own dub of the same episode, and believe me when I say it’s definitely quite a take on the story.), so you may be onto something with that.

If I may openly speculate, I can think of at least three more episodes that might have been part of the FOX Kids package:
-‘City Of Fire’
-‘Day Of Disaster’
-‘Operation: Crash Dive’

Granted I have no solid proof for this, but footage from all three episodes turned up in ‘Turbocharged’, yet were never part of that syndication. So what were they doing there?

For anyone curious, the clips were:
-Allington Suspension Bridge structure explodes (‘Turbocharged’ opening credits)
-Thompson Tower explodes (‘Martian Invasion’)
-Sea Rescue jets (repurposed as Martian ships of all things)

It’s bizarre that all three episodes would have footage used in ‘Turbocharged’, yet were never given the full treatment.

And for the record, neither were ‘Pit Of Peril’ or ‘Terror In New York City’, but they were ignored outright.

Again, since there is no public listing of which episodes were part of the FOX Kids series, it leads to plenty of speculation.

On the other hand, as I mentioned previously, a complete list of ‘Turbocharged’ episodes is available. The stories were as follow:

1. Trapped In The Sky
2. Martian Invasion
3. Sun Probe (broadcast as episode 7, but was produced around this period)
4. Ready, Set… Danger (AKA Desperate Intruder)
5. Ricochet
6. Attack Of The Alligators!
7. The Lost Pyramid (AKA The Uninvited)
8. Edge Of Impact
9. The Fog (AKA Danger At Ocean Deep)
10. The Brink Of Disaster
11. Code Name: Revenge (AKA The Man From MI.5)
12. The Impostors
13. Home All Alone (AKA Atlantic Inferno)

TonyB, you have to explain that bit about Star Trek to me. While I’m far from what would be considered a ‘Trekkie’, I don’t necessarily have that many problems with the series as a whole (though there have been some utterly mind-grating stories over the years), thus I’ll put it down as an in-joke that’s flown over my head.

As for the Fanderson screening, I do remember reading that ‘Sun Probe’ was shown at the 2010 gathering (and having seen it myself, I guarantee that episode must have gone down like a nice cold one, eh?).

Though your use of ‘a couple of episodes’ has immediately sparked my interest. Do you recall exactly which stories they were? The thought of possibly more episodes out there which I have yet to see fills me with hope of completing the series one day.

As for your questions, I can gladly answer them:

WTF was that all about!

The premise behind ‘Turbocharged’ is a bit of a tricky one, as there is no stable backstory. Either the series revolves around:

1. A pair of teenage space explorers in the year 2096 discover an uncharted planet named ‘Thunderworld’. They intercept an emergency call and get a job from Jeff Tracy. Our human heroes are paired with S.A.L., a ‘Simulated Artificial Lifeform’ living inside Thunderbird 5. They monitor activity below and report to ‘Mr. T’ any and all emergencies that require International Rescue’s assistance.

2. A pair of teenage gamers in the year 2096 discover a virtual reality game called ‘Thunderworld’, where they ‘Hack In’ and interact with the cast as if it were real.

Why would someone do that to Thunderbirds.

Have to admit that I too find it a bit weird they would use ‘Thunderbirds’, when something like ‘Stingray’ or dare I say ‘Terrahawks’ would at least somewhat fit the humourous direction they wanted the show to go. Though the most likely explanation is since they had the license, may as well milk it as best they could.

Why would anyone in their right mind think that a series like that was a good idea in the first place.

Four words: Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers. Yes, the multi-coloured spandex heroes were white-hot at the time, and I’m sure FOX wanted to repeat their newfound success by pulling a similar ploy; import a popular foreign show, add new cast members, and reap the profits. Funnily enough it almost worked, as the FOX version premiered to strong ratings… before it spiralled terribly.

What medication were the producers taking, or was the dose not strong enough!

From the look of things, I’d say it’s a little bit of both.

And can I have my hour back!

No, but I have heard that other members of Fanderson do have copies, and I would very much appreciate assistance getting in contact with them for copies of said episodes. Especially a duplicate of the tape that was apparently marked "don't say I didn't warn you".
Old 13th March 2014, 09:16 AM
Spacehawk

Location: That place... with the stuff... where that thing is...
Send a message via MSN to Chrisof

I've seen quite a few Turbocharged episodes. I have to admit that despite their obvious flaws some of them can be rather funny. Sunprobe and the Lost Pyramid in particular.

My deviantART - http://chrisofedf.deviantart.com/

http://chris-thompson.darkfolio.com/

Nothing could possibly go wrong ...
Old 13th March 2014, 09:51 PM
Spacehawk

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisof View Post
I've seen quite a few Turbocharged episodes. I have to admit that despite their obvious flaws some of them can be rather funny. Sunprobe and the Lost Pyramid in particular.
Agree, they had funny moments.
Old 14th March 2014, 09:50 AM
Zarin

about Turbocharged Thunderbirds,

ive seen it, it was horrible.
i swear i will never talk about it again, It never happened!
Old 20th March 2014, 12:13 AM
Griselda

I'm surprised to read that this series got a re-airing in Japan in 2009. Does anybody have any information?

I'd have thought the rights for the series would be partially with ITV and partially with Fox?
Old 28th June 2014, 05:37 AM
Lazoon

Default A Charge To The Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPS View Post
I'm surprised to read that this series got a re-airing in Japan in 2009.
That it did. Turbocharged was broadcast around mid-2009 at least once (possibly twice) in Japan. Strange how they get the show, yet other countries missed out, even when Bohbot Entertainment credited people for worldwide (and especially Europe) TV sales.

Quote:
Does anybody have any information?
How it came to be shown is a mystery I unfortunately cannot answer (though it may have to do with either keeping the rights, or simply because Japan is Anderson crazy). Nevertheless, it certainly happened, and the response to its showing was as to be expected.

Quote:
I'd have thought the rights for the series would be partially with ITV and partially with Fox?
FOX never owned the rights to Turbocharged, since they didn't aired it in the first place. The show was sold to UPN and its affiliates months after FOX pulled their version from rotation. Though you do raise an excellent point as to whom the rights for the series belong to. At the very least, it should break down to:

1. The original Thunderbirds footage: ITC America bought the rights to do whatever they wanted with the show, and today is the property of ITV (and possibly Sony for distribution rights).

2. The live-action Hack Master footage and voice actors: One would presume ITC America as well, though it's hard to say, since Polygram, Bohbot, and Propaganda worked on the show as well. Would they have a share in the rights?

3. The new special effects: Pretty sure Propaganda Films had a library of footage to work with (they used to be a major film/music video production company), and could own whatever they contributed. Or at least until they went under in 2002.

4. The new music: Having spoken to composer Ed Potokar, he confirmed it was all Work For Hire, and that the producers own his work. Except that the owners aren't necessarily ITC. The credits list the music being done for Score Productions Inc., and after sifting through the U.S. Copyright Office, they own (or co-owned) all the music for the show.

Suffice it to say, I wouldn't expect a DVD release anytime in the near future, not because of the show's quality, but on account of the possible many legal hurdles standing in its way. The fact it was shown in Japan (and after looking at the footage, their copies are most likely second generation broadcast duplicates ((one even still has the 'Amazin Adventures!' bumpers!)) that somehow survived) is a surprise in and around itself.

If you wish to learn more about either Turbocharged or the Fox Kids series, I hear the Thunderbirds Wikia has some fine articles on the subjects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisof View Post
When the series began, they pretty much played it straight. Though over time it got sillier and aimed at a lower demographic. While I myself am not fond of 'toilet humour', both episodes in particular were genuinely fun to watch. Especially the totally rocked out Dave and Paul looking to sell t-shirts at a concert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
Agree, they had funny moments.
If I ever make it to Andercon, remind me to buy you a nice cold one, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils View Post
about Turbocharged Thunderbirds,

ive seen it, it was horrible.
i swear i will never talk about it again, It never happened!
You could write the whole thing off as the Hack Masters playing a video game based on a century-old television series. It's not as if the show really gave the audience origins for the characters.