Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Runway 29

Notices

Old 22nd April 2013, 04:45 PM
Lazoon

Default Trip to England question

I am planning a ten day trip to mid-to-southern England during the latter half of the August.

My family are flying into Heathrow from New York. After spending the night in London, we will travel to Cardiff to see the Doctor Who experience, then visit the coast of Wales for a couple of days. Upon returning to England, we plan on visiting the Cotswald region and Stratford-On-Avon for a couple of days. Finally, we'll spend our last few days of our trip in London before returning to New York.

Are there any Anderson-related destinations that might be interesting to visit? I'm not necessarily talking about filming locations but rather a place with props or models on display. I'd be happy visiting an interesting toy or book store that would have Anderson-related material. I'm aware of Thunderbooks in Blackpool but unfortunately we won't be traveling that far north.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks as always!
Pierre
Old 22nd April 2013, 06:38 PM
SID

you could try here, dont think it wil be too far out of your way
Never been there myself so cant comment on it

http://www.timemachineuk.com/

besides Gerry Anderson programs, there is also dr who, red dwarf etc

youtube video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQJgkstB52Y

Old 22nd April 2013, 06:41 PM
Skybase Engineer

You should visit Comet Miniatures (models) and Forbidden Planet (books) in London if you have the time. I'm going to London myself next may. Adresses can be found on the web or I can provide them.

Hans
Old 23rd April 2013, 02:05 PM
Lazoon

Thank you both for some excellent suggestions. Our itinerary is in flux right now so we can definitely make adjustments to take in some things we'd all like to see.

Pierre
Old 24th April 2013, 03:09 PM
Spacehawk

Default Postcodes to various locations

See the link below. These are all 'around' the slough area - you need a car

http://www.fanderson.org.uk/forum/sh...mpromptu+tours
Old 9th May 2013, 01:50 PM
Lab Monkey

Default Gerry Anderson Legacy

there will be something come up for the 50th anniversary of Thunderbirds. Plus in talks with the Anderson estate regarding a Gerry Anderson Legacy Museum set in the old studios in slough. things are under way to make it all happen so stay tuned
Old 6th September 2013, 01:26 PM
Lazoon

We returned from our trip to the UK this past weekend. All in all, it was a wonderful trip with so many highlights. The UK is certainly beautiful. As much as I enjoyed London, it's the countryside that I found most beautiful. We particularly enjoyed out trip to Rhosilli Bay in Wales which was beyond spectacular.

Even though I researched some side trips to Hereford to see the Sci-Fi museum mentioned earlier, we ultimately couldn't fit it into our busy schedule.

We did see the Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff, which we all enjoyed very much. I think it would be very cool if they eventually opened up that space to other genre shows so that you might see a Gerry Anderson exhibit installed there in addition to the Doctor Who material.

I want to thank everyone for all their help and suggestions and hopefully we'll make a return trip sometime in the future.

Pierre
Old 6th September 2013, 01:44 PM
Spacehawk

Location: Ham Surrey. Half way between Kingston and Richmond, Surrey.

Tommo Hawker ! You're back. How recent is your post in this thread? I have been looking out for posts from you but I haven't seen any. It's a shame the response to your other posts about the museum were met with an air of suspicion by so many, and I looked out for a response from you in the hope of discovering all was well, above board and legit, but sadly, as stated I haven't seen any. If you read this, please let the forum know how things are progressing. If you genuinely are trying to open a museum then I would like to know how it's coming along, and I imagine others would too..
Old 8th September 2013, 05:09 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61 View Post
Tommo Hawker ! You're back. How recent is your post in this thread? I have been looking out for posts from you but I haven't seen any. It's a shame the response to your other posts about the museum were met with an air of suspicion by so many, and I looked out for a response from you in the hope of discovering all was well, above board and legit, but sadly, as stated I haven't seen any. If you read this, please let the forum know how things are progressing. If you genuinely are trying to open a museum then I would like to know how it's coming along, and I imagine others would too..
?

Well, the date is at the top of his post - 9th May - quite a while back really....and he never did respond further about his museum plans....

Pierre F - glad you had a good time in our country!
Old 8th September 2013, 07:55 PM
Spacehawk

Location: Ham Surrey. Half way between Kingston and Richmond, Surrey.

I read this thread on my Samsung Galaxy and for some reason Tomo's post date didn't display, and neither did anyone elses, so I assumed it was recent. When I looked again on ny laptop I saw the date and realised the post was months old. Funny how we never heard from him again. Was he just a con merchant, or did the suspicious response make him think stuff you lot? I suppose we'll never know.