Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Harlington Straker Studios

Notices

Old 4th October 2011, 08:20 PM
Jason Smith

Default Thunderbirds are....naff ???

Well, I've thought some thoughts in my 50-odd years of existence but the following just might get me lynched ! Ever since I was a lad and a HUGE devotee of Anderson shows [there were serious concerns my obsession might impair my chances at 11-PLus] there has been a slight niggling feeling at the back of my mind that the design of the Thunderbird machines is...a bit...naff !

Okay, my own personal favourite Thunderbird 2 is fine -- it's design is suited to the role devised for it. But the others ? Thunderbird One is a reconnaisance aircraft with no windows. Thunderbird Three is a space vehicle dressed in struts and vanes which no matter what they are made of would surely burn off in re-entry.

Thunderbird Four is maybe not so bad but too small. Thunderbird Five is also not too bad but suffers the most from the 'curse' they all suffer with - no design thread or continuity. To say all five T-Birds were designed by one man [or a close-knit team] seems incongruous. I always like the fact a Hawk looked a lot like an Eagle [in "1999"] and could easily be seen to have come from the same original source.

So, there you go, I've said it. Have I committed the ultimate heresy ? Am I to be castigated forever more ?

What do other Shades tink ?
Old 4th October 2011, 08:42 PM
Squealer

You make some good points mrthunder, especially regarding the lack of similarities in the designs.

However, over the years I've heard many people say how they dislike the design of Thunderbird 3. I always thought it looked rather sleek and one of the better looking craft.

Thunderbird 5 was really just the Round House with a load of bits stuck on it!
Old 4th October 2011, 08:52 PM
Spacehawk

Location: That place... with the stuff... where that thing is...
Send a message via MSN to Chrisof

Shunn the unbelieveeeeerrrrr.

SHHHHHUUUUUNNNNNN... SHHHUUUUNNNNN

Nah fair play, like at the end of the day, the SPV couldn't turn an urban corner. The Enterprises Nacelles would snap off at impulse, the Delorean isn't particularly suited to traveling in time (besides im sure a red one would go faster) and the All terrain Rhinos greatest foe is a speed-bump.

But lets face it, they all look Damn cool.

In TB1s case I presume at the time, a glass canopy would not survive Mach 15, working everything by remote cameras makes sense.

TB3s struts are purely aesthetic (Interesting to not, the concept art for both the unmade and made film usually omits them.

TB4s the perfect size for me, can weave in and out of wreckage and get up close to where its needed. any heavy lifting can be done by TB2.

TB5... well... um... yeah

But in fairness to the team, the diversity is their strength. They're designed for totally different tasks.

My deviantART - http://chrisofedf.deviantart.com/

http://chris-thompson.darkfolio.com/

Nothing could possibly go wrong ...
Old 4th October 2011, 10:02 PM
Aquaphibian

Right , that's it you , outside now ! Didn't say this in front of me at the Birthday bash did you , ooooooh nooooo ! I'll get ya next time !
Old 4th October 2011, 10:06 PM
Spacehawk

To be fair to Derek Meddings he never really designed the Thunderbirds craft to look realistic, he designed them so they'd look good on screen. If they'd all looked completely plausible the series would never have been as memorable as it is. It's the larger than life factor that gives it impact and drama. Also, you have to remember at the time Thunderbirds was created there was much less focus on vehicles being ergonomically efficient. Cars had fins and bags of chrome, and you had amazing looking aircraft like the Rotodyne helicopter.
Old 4th October 2011, 11:25 PM
Spacehawk

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrthunder View Post
...no design thread or continuity. To say all five T-Birds were designed by one man [or a close-knit team] seems incongruous. I always like the fact a Hawk looked a lot like an Eagle [in "1999"] and could easily be seen to have come from the same original source.

So, there you go, I've said it. Have I committed the ultimate heresy ? Am I to be castigated forever more ?

What do other Shades tink ?
Good question, you make me wonder what the international Rescue Thunderbirds 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 might have looked like if they had a direct lineage design as you point out we saw on SPACE:1999 with:
Eagle
Hawk
Ultra Probe
Meta Probe
Laser Tank
Swift
Superswift
Old 5th October 2011, 10:35 AM
Spacehawk

I really do wish that you would stop sitting on the fence David and tell us what you really think!

Retroboy, calm down, take the chill pills I gave you.

http://www.tnthobbies.co.uk/index.htm
Old 5th October 2011, 10:53 AM
Aquaphibian

Grrrrrrrrrr , let me at 'im , let me at ' im !
Old 5th October 2011, 12:21 PM
Spacehawk

Location: Ham Surrey. Half way between Kingston and Richmond, Surrey.

So....Here's what I say. Some of you are incredibly talented artists...No. Don't try to deny it, you know you are. I'll have none of that modesty nonsense thank you very much. So why don't you get to work and re design the 5 main TB's in a more realistic way. The same craft, but how they'd need to look to actually work in the real world. I think you can do it. And it'll be exciting and interesting to see.
Old 5th October 2011, 08:35 PM
Jason Smith

I actually don't mind the lack of design continuity between the Thunderbird craft. I like to think that Brains followed a 'form follows function' design ethic, and was untroubled by minor considerations such as making them all look similar.

For me Thunderbird 2 works the best in purely visual terms - it looks terrific from all angles, which is no doubt why it became the 'star' vehicle of the series.

Thunderbird 1 is fine up to a point, but only looks good on screen at a 3/4 angle. Despite the impracticality of the three-engine design, TB3 looks great to my eyes from pretty well every side.

TB4 looks like a Reliant Robin, and I can't help but love it, just for that. As for TB5, it's just plain ugly, but I can admire that very quality. It has character, rather than being 'designed' into blandness.