Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Operation - Cover Up > A Christmas To Remember 2010

Notices

Old 21st December 2010, 06:31 PM
Spacehawk

Default 2010 - A Vintage Year?

So was 2010 a good year for Gerry Anderson fans or not? UFO movie aside I don't think we came off too bad did we?

Obviously the Convention was a big focal point not only for Fanderson and the attendees but for a number of product launches, stamps, Shane Rimmer novel, Space:1999 bluray, Robert Harrop

I think what I will remember from 2010 is seeing the next generation of fans out there doing there own things - the story continues.

What do you think of 2010?
Old 22nd December 2010, 09:03 AM
Mario Coletti

Smile Total Agreement

I agree with you Derek. 2010 has been a great year for Anderson fans. Here's to 2011.
Old 22nd December 2010, 06:51 PM
Spacehawk

Location: Ham Surrey. Half way between Kingston and Richmond, Surrey.

For me 2010 was a very good year Anderson wise because I passed on the magic to a new generation personally, when purely out of curiosity I showed my six year old great nephew my Thunderbirds DVD's and ignited a flame that still burns bright within him. I went into detail about this in a post called Todays youth and the programs of Gerry Anderson, or something like that. I can't remember exactly what I called it, and it's led to him and several of his young school friends building up collections of Anderson DVD's of their own. So I'll remember 2010 as being the year I did my little bit to help the magic stay alive.
Old 22nd December 2010, 08:27 PM
Spacehawk

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61 View Post
For me 2010 was a very good year Anderson wise because I passed on the magic to a new generation personally, when purely out of curiosity I showed my six year old great nephew my Thunderbirds DVD's and ignited a flame that still burns bright within him. I went into detail about this in a post called Todays youth and the programs of Gerry Anderson, or something like that. I can't remember exactly what I called it, and it's led to him and several of his young school friends building up collections of Anderson DVD's of their own. So I'll remember 2010 as being the year I did my little bit to help the magic stay alive.
john61, that was an extremely enlightening events when you told us of this. It is really good to know that today's children can enjoy what we all did in our youth. Gerry Anderson's series are truly timeless.
Old 22nd December 2010, 10:39 PM
Shadbolt

I have my Thunderbirds dvds ready and waiting for when my granddaughters are old enough to enjoy them . :-)

2010? A great year.. My first ever Convention, and at work I spent as much time as possible teaching children to draw portraits!! Straker, Lake, Foster. etc.- (unfortunately puppets don't lend themselves to the GCSE syllabus!!) Thanks to all those people who persuaded me to go to the Con.. It was amazing. Hope to see you all again at the next one!

I just hope that 2011 brings better news of the UFO film!

UFO novellas, short stories and art work
Old 23rd December 2010, 07:36 PM
Spacehawk

Location: Ham Surrey. Half way between Kingston and Richmond, Surrey.

Another reason 2010 was a good Anderson year for me was because a flame that never really went out was re ignited, if you can actually re ignite a flame that hasn't gone out. Ok, lets say not re ignited, but made to burn even brighter. Last December, and right up to the end of this January, like half the country I caught the flu. I'm lucky enough to enjoy good health as a rule but last December and this January I was knocked for six, and my flu turned into a chest infection which led to a lung infection and I was laid low and suffering for England for quite a while. six weeks in fact. During this period, while the industrial strength antibiotics did their thing. I did virtually nothing but watch my Anderson DVD collection. Episode after episode all day long day after day, and because I was alone while my wife was at work, and because I had nothing else I could do, I was really able to concentrate on them, more so than I think I'd ever been able to do before, and I took every minute detail in, which over the course of my, lets not say illness, after all it was only a lung infection, not typhoid, I developed a greater appreciation for the work of Gerry Anderson than the massively huge great giant appreciation that I already had, and have seen his work in a different, more enjoyable light since. This total emersion into Gerrys work is what led to me showing my DVD's to my great nephew, so the two events are directly connected. My lung infection led to me developing a greater appreciation for the programs, and my greater appreciation of the programs led to me introducing them to a new younger generation. All in all two very good reasons why 2010 was a good Anderson year for me. What next I wonder. Perhaps somehow, somewhere, someway I may get to meet on or two of you in person. That would be very nice.
Can I end this by saying one of our number, our friend Virgil Tracy didn't have a very good year at all. From the information written in his posts, and a personal reply to an email I sent him, he seems to have been through the ringer somewhat this year. Stuck in hospital. having surgery. Not nice, not nice at all. So assuming and hoping he's now well on the road to recovery, because I haven't heard anything to indicate otherwise. I'd like to use this forum to wish him good health and a better healthier year in 2011.

Last edited by john61; 23rd December 2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:39 PM
Spacehawk

Thumbs up

john61 after your personal health ordeal earlier this year...hope all is well now for you? That such a low point could be a catalyst to such a high point of "re-discovering" appreciation of your Gerry Anderson series collection is enlightening.

I remember of VirgilTracy mid-year we discussed his health and like you I think it right as a fellow Fanderson Forum member this forum is a fine place to wish him good health and a better healthier year in 2011. We do hope that VirgilTracy is recovering, as you have, and that he will be posting regularly in the new year.

It is always a good see our members active and well.