Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB News

Notices

Old 18th November 2018, 08:01 PM
Lab Monkey

Default John Bluthal has passed away

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a8639506.html

Was pointed in the direction of this news story today.
As well as the Vicar of Dibley, Anderson-series followers should recognise John Bluthal as the voice of Commander Zero in Fireball XL5.

R.I.P.
Old 19th November 2018, 08:30 PM
Lab Monkey

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46265181

BBC reported same tonight.
Interestingly few (if any) of the news reports mention his voice role in Fireball XL5.
Old 21st November 2018, 09:23 AM
Too Tall Tim Johnson

As time goes on the news becomes more sad than fab. As children we were fortunate to have benefited from such talented people.
Old 21st November 2018, 04:09 PM
Jason Smith

I was selling at a Fanderson one-day event back in the day and JB was a guest seeing as he was the voice of Commander Zero in "Fireball XL5". He came over and loved the XL5 T-shirt I had but not in his size. We chatted and I soon steered him on to Milligan and he related how it came about in an episode of "Q" everyone had their costume tags hanging out. I countered by relating how in similar fashion in another episode everyone had an elastoplast on their cheek. The three or four of us in class at school were big fans so, sure enough, we all turned up the following day with elastoplasts on !!!

I didn't have the size of T-shirt so got his address and sent him one along when I got home. I included an elastoplast for appropriate use. He wroite a delightful letter back saying he was meeting with Spike shortly and would take it along. Whether he did or not I will never know but I like to think he told Milligan of this bizarre fat man from Blackpool and his crazy recollections !!!