Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Retro-metabolism

Notices

Old 19th July 2013, 08:07 AM
Spacehawk

Location: Ham Surrey. Half way between Kingston and Richmond, Surrey.
Default Thunderbirds 2004 movie.

It's been stupidly hot here in the UK lately, and I don't handle excessive heat very well, so I've been spending my time lately sitting in cool shady corners, and to entertain myself and take my mind off the weather I've been randomly watching Anderson episodes. A bit of that, a bit of this, nothing that has any particular pattern to it, just whatever took my fancy. Sort of like an Anderson shuffle mode, and last night while looking I saw the 2004 Jonothan Frakes TB movie and thiught why not. I have never hid the fact that I do not dislike this film. For all it's faults and imperfections, I've always enjoyed it. I have stated in previious posts that I have always put that down to me knowing from the word go that it wasn't going to be the TB I know and love, but someone elses vision of it, and when it turned out to be just that, I wasn't left feeling let down because I got exactly what I was expecting to get, and therefore was able to enjoy it for what it was. To me, an enjoyable film.
Last night was probably the third or fourth time I saw it, after a gap of maybe three years. I have to say despite the fact that they got it all wrong in every possible respect, and it just doesn't capture the spirit of TB at all. For what it is I still find it a very enjoyable film. As Thunderbirds it's rubbish. But as a film in it's own right it's fun. Very enjoyable in a Spy Kids sort of way. I think all Anderson fans should be a bit kinder to this film, because lets face it, without Gerry it was never going to be Thunderbirds, and for something that was doomed from the word go, what they ended uo with was ok. Granted it would have been a billion times better if Gerry made it, but he didn't. I enjoyed it more than ever last night, and look at it as an enjoyable film in it's own right. Totally rubbish Thunderbirds, but still an enjoyable film. Does that make me a bit of a strange Anderson fan? I don't know, but if it does, I can live with that.
Old 19th July 2013, 09:02 AM
Spacehawk

Location: That place... with the stuff... where that thing is...
Send a message via MSN to Chrisof

I would actually agree. I'd rate it just above Thunderbirds are Go (in terms of actually having a developing plot and characterisation) But below Thunderbird 6. To be honest all the Thunderbirds movies fall short of capturing the series, but they do it in different ways.TAG pretty much reduced IR to an extended cameo while the Zero X mission happened and Thunderbird 6 played out more like a spy thriller.

Thunderbirds 2004 probably has more rescue scenes than the other two put together. Yes, it can be extremely cringe worthy and it's middle act is a bit of a farce but it's at least on par with Alan's really weird dream because his dad wont let him go clubbing.

Its not a great movie but its far from a bad movie. It's very interesting researching the behind the scenes story of it and looking at the development of the production design. I learned a lot from it.

My deviantART - http://chrisofedf.deviantart.com/

http://chris-thompson.darkfolio.com/

Nothing could possibly go wrong ...
Old 19th July 2013, 07:54 PM
Spacehawk

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61 View Post
It's been stupidly hot here in the UK lately, and I don't handle excessive heat very well, so I've been spending my time lately sitting in cool shady corners, and to entertain myself and take my mind off the weather I've been randomly watching Anderson episodes. A bit of that, a bit of this, nothing that has any particular pattern to it, just whatever took my fancy. Sort of like an Anderson shuffle mode, and last night while looking I saw the 2004 Jonothan Frakes TB movie and thiught why not. I have never hid the fact that I do not dislike this film. For all it's faults and imperfections, I've always enjoyed it. I have stated in previious posts that I have always put that down to me knowing from the word go that it wasn't going to be the TB I know and love, but someone elses vision of it, and when it turned out to be just that, I wasn't left feeling let down because I got exactly what I was expecting to get, and therefore was able to enjoy it for what it was. To me, an enjoyable film.
Last night was probably the third or fourth time I saw it, after a gap of maybe three years. I have to say despite the fact that they got it all wrong in every possible respect, and it just doesn't capture the spirit of TB at all. For what it is I still find it a very enjoyable film. As Thunderbirds it's rubbish. But as a film in it's own right it's fun. Very enjoyable in a Spy Kids sort of way. I think all Anderson fans should be a bit kinder to this film, because lets face it, without Gerry it was never going to be Thunderbirds, and for something that was doomed from the word go, what they ended uo with was ok. Granted it would have been a billion times better if Gerry made it, but he didn't. I enjoyed it more than ever last night, and look at it as an enjoyable film in it's own right. Totally rubbish Thunderbirds, but still an enjoyable film. Does that make me a bit of a strange Anderson fan? I don't know, but if it does, I can live with that.
Agree. No, you are not a strange Anderson fan. I feel the same way about Thunderbirds(2004).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisof View Post
I would actually agree. I'd rate it just above Thunderbirds are Go (in terms of actually having a developing plot and characterisation) But below Thunderbird 6. To be honest all the Thunderbirds movies fall short of capturing the series, but they do it in different ways.TAG pretty much reduced IR to an extended cameo while the Zero X mission happened and Thunderbird 6 played out more like a spy thriller.

Thunderbirds 2004 probably has more rescue scenes than the other two put together. Yes, it can be extremely cringe worthy and it's middle act is a bit of a farce but it's at least on par with Alan's really weird dream because his dad wont let him go clubbing.

Its not a great movie but its far from a bad movie. It's very interesting researching the behind the scenes story of it and looking at the development of the production design. I learned a lot from it.
Good analysis of the movies. I am a fan of science-fiction production design too.

My thoughts are that we so much want a live-action Thunderbirds after experiencing the lesser Thunderbirds(2004). Until then I will still be watching Thunderbirds (2004).
Old 19th July 2013, 08:28 PM
Spacehawk

From converstions I've had with non Anderson fans and people who know Anderson but don't know a great deal about it, it seems they believe all us Anderson fans hate the 2004 film with a passion. I've even had people actually apologise for mentioning it in my company. Most peculiar in my case as I am, as you are, rather fond of it. But to 'outsiders' it appears we'd rather see the world end than watch it. I don't know whether I consider that myth funny or sad.
Old 19th July 2013, 08:46 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
From converstions I've had with non Anderson fans and people who know Anderson but don't know a great deal about it, it seems they believe all us Anderson fans hate the 2004 film with a passion. I've even had people actually apologise for mentioning it in my company. Most peculiar in my case as I am, as you are, rather fond of it. But to 'outsiders' it appears we'd rather see the world end than watch it. I don't know whether I consider that myth funny or sad.
I think it is sad. We know the Thunderbirds(2004) live-action film is not a perfect Thunderbirds film. Albeit, the script had shortcomings trending to a younger audience, the production design and casting is extremely enjoyable. I so much like that it is a live-action Thunderbirds. I know that is why I have enjoyed the live-action Thunderbirds film that Chris has made too. Chris would be a brilliant director of a new live-action Thunderbirds film.

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 19th July 2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: important thoughts
Old 19th July 2013, 10:13 PM
Jason Smith

Actually its not really a bad film and if the Thunderbirds we all know and love had never existed I would have thought this film was pretty interesting...... unfortunately as the live-action Thunderbirds movie we have waited decades to see it was a disappointment on an epic scale.
What really bugs me is that when they do a live-action movie of Scooby Doo they pretty much do a bang up job, without inventing new characters or changing things, and even get an actor who manages to look and sound like Shaggy to boot! All the super-hero films are top of the line productions and aren't done as comedies, so its clear that the producers of these films have faith in there subject material and treat it seriously, even if for example its nonsense about a teenager bitten by a radio-active spider that can then crawl walls and fight crime. Its just a pity that the people behind the Thunderbirds film didn't seem to really believe in the original or want to do it justice.
Old 20th July 2013, 07:50 AM
Spacehawk

I agree Steve. Chris sure would know the right way to make a TB movie, and realistically, there's no reason why, one day, he might not get a chance to do so. I have made no secret of how big a fan of his work I am, and what I believe he'd be capable of with the right budget and resources. But sadly, unless us Anderson fans could club together and pay for the production ourselves, we'll never get the right kind of TB movie, because no one with the money to finance such a film would allow it to be made just for Anderson fans. The money men would want the highest return on their investment they could get, so they'd insist it be made in whatever the popular money making style of the time was. Spy Kids was big back in 2004, so the Frakes film hooked into that and went that way. If made now, I suppose, they'd see what great box office the Marvel superheroes are doing, so we'd get a TB film with too much action where the Tracy brothers would be more like superheroes than rescuers, and in order to get his film made the director would have to abide by the money mens demands, and us Anderson fans still wouldn't get our idea of a correctly made TB movie, even with Chris at the helm. That sadly is the way of the world. So we'll just have to find the good in whatever we do get, and this will be the same for Thunderbirds Are Go and the UFO movie if it ever gets made. Any new production of any Anderson series could only ever be something that could have been better. That's not to say they couldn't be enjoyable. Just not as enjoyabke as they could have been.
Old 20th July 2013, 07:30 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
I agree Steve. Chris sure would know the right way to make a TB movie, and realistically, there's no reason why, one day, he might not get a chance to do so. I have made no secret of how big a fan of his work I am, and what I believe he'd be capable of with the right budget and resources. But sadly, unless us Anderson fans could club together and pay for the production ourselves, we'll never get the right kind of TB movie, because no one with the money to finance such a film would allow it to be made just for Anderson fans. The money men would want the highest return on their investment they could get, so they'd insist it be made in whatever the popular money making style of the time was. Spy Kids was big back in 2004, so the Frakes film hooked into that and went that way. If made now, I suppose, they'd see what great box office the Marvel superheroes are doing, so we'd get a TB film with too much action where the Tracy brothers would be more like superheroes than rescuers, and in order to get his film made the director would have to abide by the money mens demands, and us Anderson fans still wouldn't get our idea of a correctly made TB movie, even with Chris at the helm. That sadly is the way of the world. So we'll just have to find the good in whatever we do get, and this will be the same for Thunderbirds Are Go and the UFO movie if it ever gets made. Any new production of any Anderson series could only ever be something that could have been better. That's not to say they couldn't be enjoyable. Just not as enjoyabke as they could have been.
True. Well said John61. We always hope that a director like Chris would get the power to get hired by a studio to do it right. Maybe, one day we will get a live-action Thunderbirds that reflects the original series. I think that the Gerry Anderson franchises are so valuable if done right. I mean, e.g., who would have thought the Ironman films would have been so successful.
Old 20th July 2013, 08:57 PM
Spacehawk

Attention Chris. When you get the gig and make a proper Thunderbirds film and show them all how it should be done, remember all us forum contributors want a cameo. Well we might as well make it a team effort eh.
Old 28th February 2015, 04:18 AM
General Strond

Yes but it can be re edited with better sound effects , enhanced music, and improved with a new opening and ending sequence , less kids ,but it is a much shorter film. below link low quality but worth a look ,higher quality available

and now explodium galore futurised fun

https://vimeo.com/161594924

Last edited by r2d2r2a4; 5th April 2016 at 10:08 AM. Reason: change link