Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB News

Notices

Old 1st July 2010, 12:18 PM
Picasso61

I got the Thunderbirds cover.
Old 1st July 2010, 05:01 PM
Seal Cub

I got Space 1999 cover, my least favourite of the 3 shows, but... I'm delighted because the picture is brilliant & I've never seen it before.
Old 2nd July 2010, 06:23 PM
Spacehawk

An excellent issue, I had my copy drop through the letterbox on Wednesday and had read the whole issue plus the Dinky book by mid evening.

BTW, The Dinky book is great as well, some really nice pictures and information in there, so well done to all the people involved in putting the book together.

http://www.tnthobbies.co.uk/index.htm
Old 3rd July 2010, 09:05 AM
R.A.T.

A great read as always.

The comics article was the highlight. Also enjoyed the Space : 1999 guide.

The Scarlet article made me want to immediately dust off the DVD of that episode.
Old 3rd July 2010, 09:26 AM
Squealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP* View Post
A great read as always.
I'll second that. Just finished reading and really enjoyed it, and now I'm going to begin reading Stephen Baxters comic articles from the beginning as I haven't read any of them yet. It's my mission to try and start collecting the TV21's!

The Lego article was great reading and it reminded me when I was younger and made (what I considered to be an amazing) Eagle from Space: 1999, and all the Thunderbird vehicles (Thunderbird 1 even complete with pilot and chair that adjusted for horizontal flight). I must have re-enacted the Empire State collapse over 100 times with Lego! If only I had the time to do that now...the child within me will never leave!

While I won't expect them every issue, the use of those rare pics from Thunderbirds really made this FAB for me, I know many aren't fans of black and white pics but I love them, especially if I haven't seen them before and it's really given FAB the edge this time. Plus I've always loved the pic on page 3 from Desperate Intruder, so good to see it again there.

I must try and contribute for Timelash for next issue.

Jolly good show!
Old 3rd July 2010, 09:49 AM
Supreme Commander

Location: An island in the South Pacific Ocean... Well, several, actually.

I'm amazed. My copy arrived today! Scott must have hand delivered it to New Zealand in Thunderbird One.
Old 3rd July 2010, 04:47 PM
Jason Smith

I thought the shot of the 3 classic tv sets was a nice touch

Mike
Old 4th July 2010, 03:10 PM
Lab Monkey

Cool

Excellent issue, well done guys.

A few nerdy comments on Ian's Space 1999 This Episode guide...

The episode premieres are listed, but the information (at least that known to me) is very incomplete. Little is known about the episode schedules of many ITV regions (Southern, Grampian, Border, Scottish, Tynes-Tees), and given the different episode orders I wouldn't be surprised if they broadcast one or more UK "premieres". Only 3 US regional stations are known (out of hundreds), and not complete either. In particular, as noted in the text, Matter Of life and Death seems to have been "previewed" on US stations as early as spring 1975.

There is a little too much significance attached to the dated script revisions, which are really just what survived by historical accident. Most of the amendments don't survive.

It is noted that the series was "held back" 7 months in the UK because the biggest shows were launched in September - of course the same is true in the US. Actually it was held back a year. When the series started filming at the end of 1973, they were aiming for an Autumn (Fall) 1974 premiere. But they hit various major problems, not least that production soon fell badly behind schedule.

For Black Sun- the woman's voice heard in the Black Sun was in David Weir's initial script, it wasn't a late Christopher Penfold addition.

The laser tanks (eventually seen in "Infernal Machine") were never intended to appear in Last Enemy- it was just an editing mistake (remember this episode was re-edited after Infernal Machine).

In Troubled Spirit, it is stated that RAI only confirmed their participation after the Piri set visit. To be a little more specific, it's after the Piri visit that they finally came up with the money. Group 3 hadn't cast Italian actors as proposed, and RAI had been stalling, to the point that the show was close to being shut down.

Also in Troubled Spirit, the Hydroponics Unit reuses walls from the generating area set, but it is not a "re-dress" because that set had been torn down 6 months before. Similarly, the Ultra Probe interior is not a re-dress of the Voyager (or the Altares)- it's just an effective demonstration of Keith Wilson's modular set designs!

Martin
Old 5th July 2010, 04:43 AM
R.A.T.

Thumbs down

At the risk of being over critical, could the editor/designer have a rethink about the point size of text used? I'm sure I'm not the oldest (mid 40s) reader nor the one with the worst eyesight (no longer 20/20 though prescribed glasses) but some text is getting very very small to the level of painful. The main body copy is fine but the photo captions are probably at the minimum size that should be used. Things like the info in the yellow boxes introducing each episode in the 'Space:1999' guide, the Steve Begg screenography, the TV21 Stop Press, and the editorial credits on page 3 etc, - sorry, guys but NO!

I worked in financial print for 4 years, and the minimum point size we were allowed to use for small print was 6.5 (of course that is also dependant on the font itself) because some documentation was pension updates and customers would be in their 50s, 60s, 70s etc.

Please bear in mind some of us readers are no longer in mint condition, and while I know you want to cram in as much info as possible and keep FAB a varied read, if you want that info to be easily readable then please have a reconsider over this.

Also, backgrounds. Very fine line here, and while I can understand wanting to make the pages more interesting, some pictorial backgrounds behind the small copy are also causing me problems. The straightforward graduations are fine, if you don't make them too dark (the brighter coloured ones work better) but some of the knocked back pictures, like the lunar surface for 'Space:1999' and - well I can't even tell what it is behind the Steve Begg interview - interfere with the text too much, or just make the pages look dirty.

Something to ponder on for future issues as well, please...
Old 5th July 2010, 04:48 AM
R.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
It is noted that the series was "held back" 7 months in the UK because the biggest shows were launched in September - of course the same is true in the US. Actually it was held back a year. When the series started filming at the end of 1973, they were aiming for an Autumn (Fall) 1974 premiere. But they hit various major problems, not least that production soon fell badly behind schedule.
Is that Martin from the Catacombs website? *Hi!*

I always thought it was intended to start at the beginning of 1975, which is around the time the first two novelisations were published - this being the other major 'launch window' for new shows on TV - but of course that may have been a revision from the Autumn 1974 date when things did fall behind.