Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB Magazine

Notices

Old 24th September 2018, 08:46 AM
Spacehawk

Default Fab 90

...arrived this morning, which was a nice surprise.

Thanks everyone.
Old 24th September 2018, 09:28 AM
General Strond

Mine too FAB!
Old 25th September 2018, 12:11 AM
Zarin

Ditto, loved what they did with the logo. Very nice.

SIG is short for both my name and Spectrum Is Green!
Old 25th September 2018, 11:46 AM
Spacehawk

Just received mine. Excellent issue, beautifully designed, one of the best in a long while. Looking forward to reading the previously unpublished Gerry Anderson interview... it is gratifying to know that there are still such things out there to be discovered for the first time.

I am wondering if a new FAB logo might make its debut with issue 91, now that we've had the pleasure of seeing the special JOE90 inspired one? My suggestions would be something in the style of either the UFO or SPACE: 1999 logos. Gerry's shows always had such distinctive title logos and it's nice that FAB does reflect and pay homage to these from time to time. Just a thought.

Anyway, what more can I say other than... F.A.B.
Old 25th September 2018, 07:51 PM
Zeroid

Definitely the best issue in a while. The lack of pages on the CGI show helped.
The legal action from Anderson Entertainment is mentioned again and is apparently still current so how about letting us all in on it?
With this action still in the background I'm surprised Jamie Andersons lifetime membership has not been rescinded or that Anderson Entertainment is still being listed in the magazine as one of the companies that endorse Fanderson.
Fanderson say in the magazine they deliberately do not mention anything happening with AE but what if they are doing something that Fanderson members might be interested in?
Either there is a relationship between the two or there isn't.

And I expect because of this Fanderson have quite a stash of their excellent Investigator dvd piled up somewhere.

Browsed the Joe 90 coverage and it looks excellent.After a lull of several issues this really is back with all guns blazing

Last edited by shermeen; 25th September 2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 26th September 2018, 11:38 AM
Spacehawk

Just read the Gerry Anderson interview. Some interesting points and some nice anecdotes. For example, I had never heard the story about them rubbing their thumbs on their noses and then duly transferring the collected 'grease' onto the puppet's faces to give them a 'sheen'. Blimey, I could have kept all the puppet's faces nicely greased and shining for the entire duration of the Supermarionation era if only I'd known! The interview also has the best final line that I think I've ever read in an interview with Gerry. It's a bit more poignant now, of course, but I shan't spoil it for those who have yet to read it.

One other thing that occurs to me when reading this issue, is the title of the readers retro feature, TIMELASH. I have always been puzzled by this choice of title and whilst I can see why it might have been chosen, I don't feel that it necessarily encapsulates the 'feel' of the piece as well as it could. It also distracts slightly, in my opinion, as apart from it not really meaning anything, it is the title of one of the best and more crucially best known episodes of UFO.

So, my suggestion...

How about renaming it after another episode of another Anderson show... less well known... less well loved... but, strangely, more apt as the title of an article that is all about casting your mind back and reminiscing... How about renaming the article after an episode of The Protectors, shown way back in November 1972 (the day before my birthday in fact!)...

THINKBACK

Just a thought.

Oh and one final thing. I have just noticed, courtesy of the review on page 50... The front cover of the new itv JOE 90 DVD set doesn't actually feature a picture of Mac's car! Strange that, since it was the most recognisable and memorable vehicle in the show! And a work of design genius!
Old 26th September 2018, 03:47 PM
Dreisenberg Agent

Smile

Just received my copy of FAB 90 and the Joe 90 Close-Up booklet so a double treat for the Joe 90 anniversary on 29th September. Thanks guys!
Old 26th September 2018, 04:53 PM
Commissioner Simmonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermeen View Post
Fanderson say in the magazine they deliberately do not mention anything happening with AE but what if they are doing something that Fanderson members might be interested in?
I'd suggest looking at the AE website/twitter/facebook stuff, and getting on their e-mail distro - then you might see things like the fabulous Gerry Anderson bust that was done, the Spectum Hovercraft and MEV models that are available, and appearances at things like the event at the Leicester Space Centre last weekend.........
Old 26th September 2018, 07:43 PM
Zeroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAB_61 View Post
I'd suggest looking at the AE website/twitter/facebook stuff, and getting on their e-mail distro - then you might see things like the fabulous Gerry Anderson bust that was done, the Spectum Hovercraft and MEV models that are available, and appearances at things like the event at the Leicester Space Centre last weekend.........
I don't do Facebook but I do get emails from AE.
The point really was how can AE be listed as a company that endorses Fanderson but at the same time is completely ignored by the club yet the company is run by Gerrys son who also gets free lifetime membership of Fanderson.
Seems bizarre given that it doesn't appear likely that the 2 are able to separate business from pleasure
Old 26th September 2018, 10:33 PM
The Snake

My FAB arrived this morning. Looks like a good issue with a good diverse selection of articles - and no TAG!

Keith