Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB News

Notices

Old 2nd September 2016, 05:30 AM
Protector

Hello Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Morris View Post
Well said, Mr Pixley
Oh ... bless you. I do love all these amazing releases ...

Quote:
The Mission: Impossible soundtrack is indeed great, and a shame to hear that it hasn't sold in the quantities that they hoped.
Deeply sorry to hear that it hasn't sold that well. Such a shame. Jon Burlingame (ever read his books? fantastic!) did an amazing job with it to my mind. I have to admit that I was uncertain at first at such a major purchase ... but the moment my wife and I started playing the discs we were just captivated by them. It's a terrific set and I listen to it quite frequently. And I think the variety of composers - as with the FSM sets from "The Man from UNCLE" - helps a lot.

Quote:
Whoever would have thought that so much of this material would have ever seen the light of day, and so lucky that it has been treated with such care and reverance in bringing it to us!
I know! Amazing isn't it? I remember when Network contacted me about "Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)" and said "We've got about four hours of music to send you." And I said, "So, do you want me to try to pick just 75 minutes' worth ... because I don't think I'm up to making that choice." And they said - to my astonishment - "No, we're doing it as a three disc set containing everything."

There's some astounding soundtrack material available now ... and long may it continue!

All the best

Andrew
Old 2nd September 2016, 07:23 AM
Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
I must admit that apart from the main theme and one or two other well known pieces I find the music for MI quite unexciting.
I have to admit that when I ordered it and looked again at the cost, I gulped and thought "What have I done?" But I had loved the re-recordings in "The Best of Mission: Impossible ... Then and Now" ... and when the La La Land box turned up, my wife and I were so captivated. I'm a sucker for Gerald Fried's work in particular, so when we got through to material like "Odds on Evil" where he ramps up the power of Lalo Schifrin's theme, it was just bliss! In fact, much of the fun (as with the Patrick Gowers' "Sherlock Holmes" LP or John Barry's "The Ipcress File") is hearing the countless variations on Lalo Schifrin's theme. All the precise, stately harpsichord renditions of the main title in the score for "The Heir Apparent" remind you just how much the music adds to such a brilliant episode ...

Quote:
But hey, it's not surprising it hasn't done well.
Oh ... I guess so. I think I cherish these minority-appeal obscurities more than ever ...

Quote:
That incredible Star Trek set released in 2012 is still available.
I know it's pricey but I did think that there were 6000 fans in the whole world who felt the TOS music was important enough to own.
To think I ordered it within seconds of it going live because I thought it would sell out.
I'm afraid I waited ... but the "Mission: Impossible" set convinced me to take the plunge as a Christmas treat; my wife and I spent a good five days listening to the whole lot while building Lego! I'd held off because the three original score CDs had left me uncertain; I'd liked Alexander Courage's evocative scores (all buried in my memory from watching the series in my youth) but they didn't offer much variety ... so, again, it was listening again to Gerald Fried's "Shore Leave" and "Amok Time" that sold it to me. And what an amazing set it is! Beautifully presented! And now I don't have the money for that kind of treat, I'm very pleased that I took the opportunity when I did.

Quote:
The Fanderson sets are as equally impressive and I'm always surprised they sell as slowly as they do.
The music is such an important part of any show from that era.
Very much so. I still like to discover imaginative scoring these days ... but title themes have to be quick and unmemorable while incidentals now perform a different job in many ways to what they did from the 1950s to the 1970s. The scores for "Hustle" (and the amazing main theme) were terrific, and what the Foster Brothers are doing with "Thunderbirds Are Go" also makes me very happy.

Quote:
Of the 15 disc Trek set , 12 disc Lost In Space set and 4 disc Year Two set I really do have difficulty placing them in order of importance as they are all excellent.
I'd place "Space: 1999" Year 2 as my favourite - punchy and varied with some nice jazz. "Star Trek" is wonderful in scope, and often benefits from the variety of composers. "Lost in Space" is one which I've only heard twice thus far; it's again fantastically presented with lots of vivid cues from the past ... but it does lack a tad of variety at times. That's maybe why I like "The Man from UNCLE" scores, or Albert Elms' different themes on "Man in a Suitcase", or the varied approaches to "The Champions", or even (much to my own amazement) the rich range of sounds and styles offered by John Cameron on "The Protectors"!

Quote:
And welcome to the forum Andrew. Having spent decades enjoying your writing in Time Screen, SIG and a multitude of other publications it's nice to see you have a presence I can connect with.
Bless you! Hoping that this will be a fun forum to wander into when I have a moment.

"TimeScreen" was an amazing experience ... and certainly a time when I got to know so many lovely people who are still very dear friends and mean so much in my life. I think researching and understanding these shows in the horrifically crude way which we did in the 1980s was very, very exciting as we felt we were doing something fresh, building on the work of people who had inspired us like Jeremy Bentham, Roger Wilmut and Gary Gerani.

"SiG" also has a lot of happy memories. I remember being blown away by it when I first discovered it in the Sheffield Space Centre in 1982 and grabbing all the back issues I could. And Dave Nightingale was an immensely encouraging and inspiring man. Still have very great admiration for him and so much of what he achieved ... and the opportunities he gave me.

Quote:
As you may know , my opportunities on Roobarbs are usually very temporary. Knott that I'm too bothered these days as it does seem to have become a place for unqualified armchair experts.
I think the last time it threatened to become interesting they banned a long term member for posting things other than fawning love for other members. Useful for John Hodsons release updates though. Could you pass on my best wishes to him as I believe he had health issues recently.
(Your recent posts made it sound as if you might be in the same boat- hope all is well with you).
Oh ... I love finding time to visit Roobarb's Forum; lots of great people there in my experience, and I keep stumbling across brilliantly passionate threads where people have undertaken some amazing research. I always seem to be learning new things when I visit the place and I'm deeply grateful to Julian and co for running it.

I'm afraid that I don't recall John (but then my memory is poor these days ... I probably won't recall this within 48 hours!). If an opportunity arises I'll pass on the message ... but I'd far rather people interacted themselves; it always seems more meaningful.

And - yes - I have health issues, but they're generally under control. And at the moment I sort of have a choice between "So do I let these things get the better of me, give up researching/writing and lie face down going b*gg*r-b*gg*r-b*gg*r-b*gg*r" or "Okay, this is inconvenient and it's gonna hurt a bit, but, what the f***, there's an opportunity here, let's grab it with both hands - even if they do hurt! - and do the best with it that we can."

All the best

Andrew
Old 2nd September 2016, 09:09 PM
Banned

Sorry to hear you have some problems - I do hope they are only temporary.
John usually posts in the Bluray section and keeps us all up to date with upcoming titles. I've caught quite a few good ones thanks to John.
Unfortunately I'm banned from Roobarbs for some absurd 12 year old argument so I can't let John know.
When he became aware that I was contacting people via the Private Messages before I was a fully fledged member Julian decided that was not allowed either.
Unfortunately when quizzed by more than one member about what the problem was neither Julian or any of his lackies had the courage of their convictions or enough confidence in their decisions to let others decide.
I'm pretty sure its SLR cronyism that is the problem.
Old 3rd September 2016, 05:03 AM
Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
Sorry to hear you have some problems - I do hope they are only temporary.
'Fraid not. The arthritis has plagued me since I was 18 and shows no signs of abating ... but it's fundamentally manageable and could be a lot worse ...

All the best

Andrew