Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Harlington Straker Studios > Exposed

Notices

Old 8th September 2016, 08:20 AM
Spacehawk

Default Space:1999 in Look-In TV Guide

I've just been reading an issue of Look-In from January 1975, and in the TV guide at the back I was surprised to find Space:1999 was listed as due to be screened by ATV on Thursday the 16th - almost 9 months ahead of the 'official' first broadcast. Some kind of error on Look-In's part ? Or was there a special preview screening on ATV perhaps ? Or may be there were plans to start screening the series at the beginning of the year which were later changed to the autumn ? Not seen any reference to this anywhere else that I can recall.
Old 8th September 2016, 08:31 AM
Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by air terrainean View Post
I've just been reading an issue of Look-In from January 1975, and in the TV guide at the back I was surprised to find Space:1999 was listed as due to be screened by ATV on Thursday the 16th - almost 9 months ahead of the 'official' first broadcast. Some kind of error on Look-In's part ? Or was there a special preview screening on ATV perhaps ? Or may be there were plans to start screening the series at the beginning of the year which were later changed to the autumn ? Not seen any reference to this anywhere else that I can recall.
Ooooohhhh ... goodness! That's an interesting one. What time was it scheduled for? The daily listings I've seen in the papers make no reference to it ...

Fascinating find!

All the best

Andrew
Old 8th September 2016, 08:39 AM
House Keeper Culver Bay

I think Space 1999 was originally supposed to debut in January 1975. I think the first paperback novel was published in January to tie-in with the series broadcast. Also the Horizon documentary clip on special effects (on the DVDs and Blu ray as an extra) mentions the series was due to be shown in the New Year. I've never realised in was actually scheduled, before being put back to Autumn. What did ATV shown in its place? Maybe the other ITV regions didn't want to take it at that point in time.
Old 8th September 2016, 08:54 AM
Protector

I guess the obvious slot is the 7pm one where most regions were taking "The Six Million Dollar Man"; Scottish and Ulster had "Bonanza", Granada had "The Persuaders!" and HTV had "Barnaby Jones".

All the best

Andrew
Old 8th September 2016, 10:38 AM
House Keeper Culver Bay

Thanks for the info Andrew. I seem to recall that I watched the early episodes of The Six Million Dollar Man on ATV on Thursdays.

It must have a been a late decision to delay the premier of Space 1999 until September. By then the Dinky eagles and annual were in the shops so the publicity would have been higher then.

I've never seen any figures for the ratings of Space 1999, only seen various comments in books that it didn't do well in the UK
Old 8th September 2016, 11:23 AM
Spacehawk

I too recall seeing the Space: 1999 paperbacks in the shops months before the series was shown. I looked at them with awe! Great covers. By the time the series was eventually shown, the tension and sense of expectation had been ramped up nicely. Personally I tend to be of the opinion that the autumn was the most sensible time to launch the show rather than in January which always feels a bit bleak to me. Still, I had no idea that preparations for screening had reached such an advanced stage. I've got the TV Times somewhere with the first mention of the series and photos of ML, BB, an Eagle and Joan Collins and Christopher Lee. Seeing the front cover of the annual, in Kays catalogue in the late summer of '75 made me almost too excited for words! Those were the days...
Old 8th September 2016, 09:55 PM
Banned

I think this is a case of a simple misprint. ATV were showing The Six Million Dollar Man in the 7pm slot in the weeks before and the weeks after that slot and the Anglia TV Times for the week of the 16th also shows The Six Million Dollar Man on at 7pm in the ATV section of the regional variations.
Look In would often be incorrect against the TV Times listings.

Browsing the early 1975 issues of Look In I spotted ATV airing UFO at 3pm on a wednesday afternoon. This is backed up by the TV Times which shows UFO for the first 3 weeks of March in that slot then replaced for an odd episode of Department S then changed again to Bearcats.

I would suggest someone at Look In might have got some early info about the intended slot in relation to the cartoon strip they eventually featured
Old 9th September 2016, 05:35 AM
Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
I think this is a case of a simple misprint. ATV were showing The Six Million Dollar Man in the 7pm slot in the weeks before and the weeks after that slot and the Anglia TV Times for the week of the 16th also shows The Six Million Dollar Man on at 7pm in the ATV section of the regional variations.

Browsing the early 1975 issues of Look In I spotted ATV airing UFO at 3pm on a wednesday afternoon. This is backed up by the TV Times which shows UFO for the first 3 weeks of March in that slot then replaced for an odd episode of Department S then changed again to Bearcats.

I would suggest someone at Look In might have got some early info about the intended slot in relation to the cartoon strip they eventually featured
Could well be an early schedule that hadn't been corrected. But - as Sam says - it is very odd that a show which won't appear in the lists for another eight months pops up like this. But it certainly ties in with thought I'd had about "Breakaway" and "Moon Odyssey" appearing in the bookshops so early, certainly months ahead of transmission. And February publication would be about right for a January launch ... not to have blown too many plots in advance.

Certainly by January 1975 there would have been a good run of episodes ready and Lew Grade had running screenings for buyers in November 1974. It's possible that ATV's plan was to run half a season up to Easter 1975 and then run the remaining half from September (a pattern I've seen used on some of the other ATV film series).

All the best

Andrew

Last edited by AndrewP; 9th September 2016 at 05:37 AM.
Old 9th September 2016, 03:23 PM
Lab Monkey

The original plan (in December 1973) was an Autumn 1974 première (a year before we eventually saw it).
In 1974 UK press there are a few references to the start of 1975.
This Daily Mirror article from December 1974 mentioned a spring 1975 première: http://catacombs.space1999.net/press/wrefp1974.html

So, yes, it was being pushed back. Unlike the US, we don't know the real reasons for the delay. I guess as they fell behind schedule, September 1974 became difficult because they'd run out of finished episodes. As it pushed back to spring 1975, the last episodes would be in summer and risked being cancelled for sport. Maybe they were trying to get the ITV stations to show them at the same time, or they wanted more merchandise to be available (much of which was waiting for the US première in Autumn 1975).
Old 9th September 2016, 08:24 PM
Jason Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post

I do remember seeing a May 1975 comic which had the full-page colour advert for the dinky eagle transporter in the back cover which was found in a cupboard with other comics in the technical room at my old school in 1988 so the eagle transporter must be out at that time 4 months before '1999' started in the UK. It also stated in the ad 'from Gerry anderson's new TV series 'space:1999' on your TV screen soon!' So I have a feeling dinky toys were right that it was not shown yet.did dinky toys issue the transporter first then the freighter a few months later? & what was the series 'Bearcats' that ATV showed in 1975 about?