Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB News

Notices

Old 12th October 2018, 01:31 AM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Desica View Post
Richard Farrell did a really funny TBAG series 1 parody episode guide in Andersonic - and hopefully there'll be more to come..
That may not have been Richard's work. 🙂 And as for more to come, it would mean watching more episodes... 🙂🙂
Old 12th October 2018, 08:12 AM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by air terrainean View Post
That may not have been Richard's work. �� And as for more to come, it would mean watching more episodes... ����
True. Andersonic has many brilliant contributors and it could have been any one of them who wrote it. Whoever was responsible, it was spot on! And yes, you are right, some poor sod has got to sit down and watch the rest of the episodes if they want to parody them accurately. Richard, as editor, has the good sense to treat TBAG with the respect (i.e. contempt) it deserves.

As far as Beyond the Horizon goes, I don't think anyone should be holding their breath...

Last edited by Commander Desica; 12th October 2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12th October 2018, 09:56 AM
R.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Desica View Post
True. Andersonic has many brilliant contributors and it could have been any one of them who wrote it. Whoever was responsible, it was spot on!
I'm glad you liked it :-) The spoof was the work of someone not a million miles from this thread who took one for the team and watched them all. There's no way I could have ploughed through that many episodes of TBAG even to poke fun at it, I threw the towel in after 10 or 12.
Old 12th October 2018, 10:43 AM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDexter View Post
I'm glad you liked it :-) The spoof was the work of someone not a million miles from this thread who took one for the team and watched them all. There's no way I could have ploughed through that many episodes of TBAG even to poke fun at it, I threw the towel in after 10 or 12.
Well, the scribe responsible has my respect and sympathy. Hopefully they have now recovered.

I have seen maybe six episodes of TBAG and that was enough. And I speak as someone who has just watched every episode (all 26) of 'The Adventurer' - so I know a thing or two about pain and endurance!

Tee hee!!!
Old 12th October 2018, 11:15 AM
Spacehawk

At the end of the day it had nothing to do with Gerry or APF/Century 21, so I was never going to be interested.
After three series, in my opinion, it has come across as a misguided attempt to take an original concept and mess with it just to sell more toys!
Old 12th October 2018, 12:45 PM
Shadbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
At the end of the day it had nothing to do with Gerry or APF/Century 21, so I was never going to be interested.
Does that imply that you would also avoid any other remakes/reboots or whatever of any of Gerry's ideas?
Old 12th October 2018, 12:52 PM
The Snake

Probably the same as avoiding remakes of The Magnificent 7 or Total Recall. Can't improve on perfection.

Keith
Old 12th October 2018, 01:04 PM
Shadbolt

Perhaps it needs a new thread, but since this one is now off track anyway:

I've always wondered exactly what it is about TAG that gets everyone so wound up - the the extent that it seems to get hated just beacuse it's "not the original".

Well, unless somehow someone did a new set of episodes exactly the same way was the original it never would be (and that's probably a separate debate; with it's own diversions, for example the 3 Thunderbirds65 episodes that were done from the original audio versions).

Specifically TAG though, what would have actually been "acceptable" to all those that don't like it? The main issues in my mind are:

1) Mix of models and CGI - does it actually work?
2) Changing the ages of the Tracy brothers (and their personalities)
3) Getting rid of Jeff (wait and see on that one I suspect)
4) Changing the design of the main vehicles
5) Missing "classic" pod vehicles (Firefly for example)

Trying to discuss all of the above rapidly gets tangled up with the story writing - which has had some high spots but in general is not what it could have been.

I've wondered what would happen, for example if you either:

a) took one of the TAG episodes and used the CGI to "reskin" the characters to look like the originals, and tweaked the dialogue to make them more like the originals.

or

b) properly remade one of the classic episodes using TAG technology

Would either of those have met with any better reception?

FAB_61
Old 12th October 2018, 06:57 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAB_61 View Post
Does that imply that you would also avoid any other remakes/reboots or whatever of any of Gerry's ideas?
Yes it does, I have no interest in reboots or remakes of other Anderson shows. New Scarlet was different as that was Gerry's vision.
Old 12th October 2018, 08:00 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAB_61 View Post

Specifically TAG though, what would have actually been "acceptable" to all those that don't like it? The main issues in my mind are:

1) Mix of models and CGI - does it actually work?
2) Changing the ages of the Tracy brothers (and their personalities)
3) Getting rid of Jeff (wait and see on that one I suspect)
4) Changing the design of the main vehicles
5) Missing "classic" pod vehicles (Firefly for example)
I didn't particularly mind any of those changes. My main problems with the show were that it wasn't consistently good enough, had no real sense of direction, lacked the wit and sophistication of the original and didn't create a world that I could believe in. The problems really stemmed from the top down (if that's not a contradiction in terms), leaving those involved at the 'coal face' the job of turning a pig's ear into a silk purse. New Captain Scarlet may have had some duff animation, but the premise was pretty sound. Thunderbirds are Go may have had some brilliantly animated shirts and cables, but its producers really didn't seem to know who they were aiming the show at or how to develop the concept.

Last edited by air terrainean; 12th October 2018 at 10:04 PM.