Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB Magazine

Notices

Old 29th January 2018, 12:14 PM
Seal Cub

It's bad enough that issues went down from 4 to just three a year and now we can't even get these out on time. Think I'll send an email to see what's happening because they're obviously not going to give an update on this page by the looks of it.

I mean,..really,..it's February in a couple of days and this will probably have a knock-on effect with the next issue.
Old 29th January 2018, 03:02 PM
General Strond

It's put together by people on a voluntary basis, isn't it?

Life happens man, the pricing structure ensures you aren't out of pocket.
Old 29th January 2018, 07:04 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean View Post
It's bad enough that issues went down from 4 to just three a year and now we can't even get these out on time. Think I'll send an email to see what's happening because they're obviously not going to give an update on this page by the looks of it.

I mean,..really,..it's February in a couple of days and this will probably have a knock-on effect with the next issue.
Difficult personal circumstances have resulted in a delay, it'll be a great issue when it's released.

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 29th January 2018, 07:22 PM
Aquaphibian

The club is manned completely by volunteers . It is not a proffessional body despite producing highly professional merchandise. Real life sometimes gets in the way , as it does with all of us . It'll arrive soon enough and I'm sure will be worth the wait .
As for the reduction in magazines from 4 to 3 , all the major manufacturers are doing it , from biscuits to chocolate to toilet roll , it's a cost cutting exercise to avoid passing increased pricing on to the customer. I believe the buzz word is " shrinkification "

Last edited by Retroboy; 29th January 2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 29th January 2018, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroboy View Post
The club is manned completely by volunteers . It is not a proffessional body despite producing highly professional merchandise. Real life sometimes gets in the way , as it does with all of us . It'll arrive soon enough and I'm sure will be worth the wait .
As for the reduction in magazines from 4 to 3 , all the major manufacturers are doing it , from biscuits to chocolate to toilet roll , it's a cost cutting exercise to avoid passing increased pricing on to the customer. I believe the buzz word is " shrinkification "
Assuming the price point is the most important thing then I prefer a drop from 4 to 3 rather than maintain 4 but cut them down in size like the chocolate industry is doing.
At Xmas the tins we used to get from Roses and Quality Street were 2.5kg in the 70's , now they are barely 1/3 of that.
I'd prefer to pay the going rate for the same size. As it is the existing tins are barely larger than one of the cardboard boxes so I don't bother at all.

I would have preferred Fanderson to stick with 4 and increase the sub though. But they took the second best step.
Old 29th January 2018, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:

Do you realise you have only made 15 posts on this forum in total in almost 4 years and 14 of them are complaining about the speed of items being delivered?

You're not SLR in disguise are you?

It does get a bit tiresome occasionally when the excuse is wheeled out yet again but it really is true that the whole thing is done by volunteers so while late deliveries can be a bit annoying it's sometimes worth stepping back and saying - hang on a minute, these guys don't get paid but look at the wonderful goodies they send us so better late than never.
Old 30th January 2018, 01:03 AM
The Snake

As others have said, they are all volunteers and producing a quality mag such as FAB takes as long as it takes. It's not as if we all don't have loads of other things piling up to read (I know I do).

And how often do publishers of professionally published books miss their release dates? Seems to happen more often than not these days.

Keith
Old 30th January 2018, 07:32 AM
Seal Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinspector View Post
Do you realise you have only made 15 posts on this forum in total in almost 4 years and 14 of them are complaining about the speed of items being delivered?

You're not SLR in disguise are you?

It does get a bit tiresome occasionally when the excuse is wheeled out yet again but it really is true that the whole thing is done by volunteers so while late deliveries can be a bit annoying it's sometimes worth stepping back and saying - hang on a minute, these guys don't get paid but look at the wonderful goodies they send us so better late than never.
Oh pleeeease,..for goodness sake. How sad are you that you have to check my previous comments. That in itself shows just what kind a sad lonely person you must be.

Listen. I don't care what any of you people think or say. I don't know any of you and like hundreds of others, I only ever joined this outfit to get the merchandise!!!
Old 30th January 2018, 01:07 PM
Zarin

Of course it is appreciated that the club is run by volunteers. I don't think having a go at new member Stringbean will change that or stop people voicing concerns over delivery timings. But it might put others off joining.

The issue is whether it is appropriate - both the delay and the complaint. And that will depend on how regularly publication gets delayed and by how long. Occasionally is understandable, especially bearing in mind the volunteer basis.

I'm a members of many clubs, societies and associations that are volunteer run and sometimes things they produced get delayed. But a lot of that can be mitigated by communication in letting members know the reason and how long the delay is expected to be. And, I've heard it said on other forums, etc., (for other clubs) that those volunteering should be doing so with some commitment to maintaining schedules. But getting unpaid volunteers is always a big problem and, of course, situations can change.

However, an honest explanation will always go a long way to reducing moans and disenchantment. Keeping mum just exacerbates the situation.

Z.
Old 30th January 2018, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh pleeeease,..for goodness sake. How sad are you that you have to check my previous comments. That in itself shows just what kind a sad lonely person you must be.

Listen. I don't care what any of you people think or say. I don't know any of you and like hundreds of others, I only ever joined this outfit to get the merchandise!!!
Then wait like everyone else does.

If you don't care what anyone else thinks then don't bother to post. We are all members. We all know that Fab 88 is late. We don't need you to remind us every couple of days

As you have so few posts it took one click to see if you were a regular contributor who was concerned about the late delivery or someone who only posts to whine.

Last edited by theinspector; 30th January 2018 at 10:39 PM.