Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Runway 29

Notices

Old 7th October 2018, 12:29 PM
Spacehawk

Default Lady Penelope - The Shadows

In my younger days, I spent 11 years playing the drums in various bands, mostly hard rock, but across the whole, er, spectrum of punk, pop, acoustic/electric folky stuff, metal and suchlike. The first band was a strange fusion of avante garde 'clever b*stard rock' and blues - we had a classically trained pianist, so clearly we weren't pretentious in any way. None of the bands ever 'made it', we never became 'the new gods of metal' as one singer introduced us one fateful night in 1988. Or was it '89?

And yet, through all of this, no one could quite believe that my favourite band was The Shadows and my favourite drummer was Brian Bennett. Which is why I am excited about the release this month (October 26th) of this album.

http://www.leosden.co.uk/shop/produc...d_product=1754

The Shadows Live at the BBC comprises 21 tracks, mostly self-penned, and includes Lady Penelope. This version was recorded on Friday 9th December 1966 - which means it was probably broadcast on 'The Saturday Club' on Saturday 10th December, a few days before the release of the film Thunderbirds are Go.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am guessing that this was the only piece of ORIGINAL music heard in any Supermarionation production that wasn't composed by Barry Gray. Well, this and 'Shooting Star', which was also composed by the Shadows.

Anyway, hopefully this album will be of interest to others here and at such a ridiculously cheap price, it must be worth it even if you are only interested in the Gerry Anderson-related track...?

'Yus, m'Lady'.

Last edited by Commander Desica; 7th October 2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 8th October 2018, 03:06 AM
Shadbolt

Location: Australia - never been anywhere else...and barely seen much of Oz come to think of it.

Thanks for the info!

My favourite band is also The Shadows and watching Brian Bennett play the solo in 'Little B' in concert was worth the cost of admission alone. :-)
Old 8th October 2018, 05:34 AM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keryn View Post
Thanks for the info!

My favourite band is also The Shadows and watching Brian Bennett play the solo in 'Little B' in concert was worth the cost of admission alone. :-)
Agreed!

Glad to have been of assistance. Brian's an incredible drummer - and I've had the pleasure and privilege of meeting him a couple of times. A very nice and down to earth guy. I asked him if he still had his puppet from the film, but sadly no. I gather that Mr Marvin now lives down under, has since 1987, so please say hello from me if you bump into him!

Old 8th October 2018, 09:30 AM
Dr. Cedric Agon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Desica View Post
Agreed!

Glad to have been of assistance. Brian's an incredible drummer - and I've had the pleasure and privilege of meeting him a couple of times. A very nice and down to earth guy. I asked him if he still had his puppet from the film, but sadly no. I gather that Mr Marvin now lives down under, has since 1987, so please say hello from me if you bump into him!

The Shadows have always been in my top five bands. saw them live in Norwich around 30 years ago and more recently on the Cliff and the Shadows 50th anniversary tour.
The LP "Shadows Rarities" also features their tracks from Thunderbirds Are Go.

Steve
Old 8th October 2018, 09:33 AM
Shadbolt

Location: Australia - never been anywhere else...and barely seen much of Oz come to think of it.

Bump into Hank? I wish! Unfortunately he lives on the west coast of Oz in Perth....not somewhere I am ever likely to visit.
Old 8th October 2018, 10:20 AM
Spacehawk

Saw them twice on the Cliff/Shads 50th anniversary tour (Nottingham and Sheffield) and twice on their 2004 reunion/farewell tour (Nottingham and London Palladium). Not sure if they went as far as Oz on either of these tours, but they certainly travelled a bit!

I bought 'Rarities' in the late '70s, maybe '78 or '79, and it contains some of my favourite tracks. You don't often hear different versions of their Thunderbirds, Zero X theme or Lady Penelope recordings, so this BBC session will be worth hearing.

Just to elaborate on what I said earlier... I had been told that Brian Bennett had been given his puppet from the Thunderbirds are Go film. When I met him I asked him and it seems that I was misinformed. So one can only hope that this, along with the puppets of Cliff, Bruce, Hank and John are in the hands of some private collector somewhere and not gone the way of so many others.
Old 8th October 2018, 10:48 AM
Shadbolt

I also have the older Rarities LP and the Thunderbirds are Go Cliff and Shads EP.

I've often wondered what happened to the puppets. I particularly liked the ones made of Hank Marvin and John Rostill.

I was at a Shadows concert in Melbourne in the 80s and they asked for requests from the audience....and someone asked for Sacha. There was that awkward moment where we were torn between the embarassment of someone asking for something that wasn't a Shadows hit...and wondering if they would play it. They didn't. However the Shadows were back next year and Hank apologised for not playing Sacha the year before - he had no idea it was a hit in Oz. This time they were ready and Sacha was played. Loved it. Perhaps someone should have requested Lady Penelope as well.
Old 8th October 2018, 11:55 AM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Desica View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am guessing that this was the only piece of ORIGINAL music heard in any Supermarionation production that wasn't composed by Barry Gray. Well, this and 'Shooting Star', which was also composed by the Shadows.
A number of tracks in Supercar were composed by Edwin Astley - I suppose they might count as 'original' pieces of music, although I don't think they were composed specifically for the series.
Old 8th October 2018, 02:24 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by air terrainean View Post
A number of tracks in Supercar were composed by Edwin Astley - I suppose they might count as 'original' pieces of music, although I don't think they were composed specifically for the series.
Yeah, I meant 'composed for' as opposed to 'used in'. I can't, offhand, think of any others.
Old 8th October 2018, 02:28 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keryn View Post
I also have the older Rarities LP and the Thunderbirds are Go Cliff and Shads EP.

I've often wondered what happened to the puppets. I particularly liked the ones made of Hank Marvin and John Rostill.

I was at a Shadows concert in Melbourne in the 80s and they asked for requests from the audience....and someone asked for Sacha. There was that awkward moment where we were torn between the embarassment of someone asking for something that wasn't a Shadows hit...and wondering if they would play it. They didn't. However the Shadows were back next year and Hank apologised for not playing Sacha the year before - he had no idea it was a hit in Oz. This time they were ready and Sacha was played. Loved it. Perhaps someone should have requested Lady Penelope as well.
'Sacha' was a great tune and, yes, a big hit in Australia and, I think, NZ. I think it may have got to Number 1. Hank played it live on one of his solo tours, 1995 I think, and now you mention it, I have a funny feeling that I have got a bootleg live recording from the 1980s of the Shadows playing it live. Not sure about that though. They tended to stick to the hits and the really well known numbers when in concert, but a few surprises were often thrown in too. By the way, Brian Bennett once used the theme to JOE 90 as the intro and outro to a drum solo!

P.S. I think it might be the Australian 'Rarities' LP that has a great group shot on the front of Hank, Bruce, Brian and John Farrar and Alan Tarney. The UK version was just a plain blue cover with white lettering. Looked good though!

Last edited by Commander Desica; 8th October 2018 at 02:31 PM.