Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB News

Notices

Old 15th November 2018, 11:21 PM
Zeroid

Default Ufo borrows from doppelganger

We all know that many of the cast of the movie moved straight to UFO but as the long road to releasing the Doppelganger soundtrack showed the people at Universal were the reason for the delay so bearing that in mind how was it possible for the "Sleeping Astronauts" music to be reused in UFO? The cd delay seemed to indicate the rights belong to Universal and not Barry Gray. The end credits music from UFO also seems mostly lifted from the film too.
Similarly the UFO brochure from Alan Shubrook also mentioned that some rocket launch footage made for Doppelganger was reused in UFO too.

Were permissions needed or sought? Or did these instances slip by unnoticed? Did the effects footage remain owned by Anderson and Co?

Last edited by shermeen; 15th November 2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old 16th November 2018, 04:05 AM
Too Tall Tim Johnson

The closing theme in "UFO" recycles parts of the score from 'Lunarville 7' and 'Crater 101' on "Captain Scarlet". Barry must've taken those and extended them to create a new end titles track.

With "Sleeping Astronauts" in "UFO", Gerry must have retained some or all of the rights to the film's score at the time. There must've been a deal between him and Universal, as there was with United Artists on "Thunderbirds are Go".

The "Mind the Gap, Alan" cue was recycled for the teaser in 'Kill Straker!'. Sure it was heard in another episode. The droning bass from "Zero-X on Mars" is also in one of the Moon-centric episodes. Want to say it's the one where a SHADO operative blows a U-Foe away with a handheld rocket, dies and we pull back from him until he's just a lifeless body on a soulless planet.

Last edited by Martin Grant; 16th November 2018 at 04:22 AM.
Old 16th November 2018, 07:57 AM
Agent Blake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Grant View Post
The closing theme in "UFO" recycles parts of the score from 'Lunarville 7' and 'Crater 101' on "Captain Scarlet". Barry must've taken those and extended them to create a new end titles track.

The droning bass from "Zero-X on Mars" is also in one of the Moon-centric episodes. Want to say it's the one where a SHADO operative blows a U-Foe away with a handheld rocket, dies and we pull back from him until he's just a lifeless body on a soulless planet.
If I remember right, some/all of the UFO end music is from Fireball XL5. Or maybe a bit from series 2 of Supercar but I need to check that.

Is it at the end of flight path when George Cole destroys the UFO?
Old 16th November 2018, 05:10 PM
Jason Smith

Just on the subject of cross-pollination between productions, it is an understanding of mine that Gerry's relationship with Lew Grade was buggered up when the former used a "Space: 1999" major prop in "Into Infinity" [which, of course, was a non-ITC production]
Old 18th November 2018, 03:36 AM
Too Tall Tim Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cham-cham View Post
If I remember right, some/all of the UFO end music is from Fireball XL5. Or maybe a bit from series 2 of Supercar but I need to check that.

Is it at the end of flight path when George Cole destroys the UFO?
I hope not. Like to think Barry created those sounds specifically for "Scariet".

That was it. 'Flight Path'.