Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Runway 29

Notices

Old 9th July 2018, 01:10 PM
Terrahawk

Default Space: 1976

42 years ago, in 1976, we were sweltering in the heatwave (some things don't change!) and eating Space: 1999 ice lollies in the park. We were also between series 1 and 2 of this programme.

The only messy thing about series 1, for me, was the introduction of the planet Meta - a huge story point in 'Breakaway' - which literally went nowhere and was left unexplained and unexplored. Breakway ends with Keonig saying 'Maybe Meta... Maybe there' as he speculates as to where the Alphans will end up. And yet it is never followed up in any way. The mysterious planet of Meta is never so much as mentioned again. Where did it come from? Why was it hurtling through space? Did it ever encounter Earth? We are never told.

Funnily enough, with a bit of re-writing, Terra Nova, from ' Matter of Life and Death' (the second episode filmed) could have been Meta. The first planet they encounter after being blasted from Earth's orbit and one that defies all logic and explanation.

A missed opportunity, a rare one at that, that could have tied up a very big loose end.

The Space: 1999 ice lollies have all long since gone. But the mystery of Meta is still out there.

Last edited by Commander Desica; 9th July 2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 9th July 2018, 02:54 PM
Spacehawk

Didn't E.C. Tubb link the two stories in his first novelisation?

It's been a long time since I read it, mind you...
Old 9th July 2018, 04:36 PM
Terrahawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Morris View Post
Didn't E.C. Tubb link the two stories in his first novelisation?

It's been a long time since I read it, mind you...
He seems to have done, yes. Despite, on page 47, Koenig musing that their trajectory would probably now not take them close to Meta, by pages 48/49 they have encountered a signal-emitting planet that has been 'torn from its primary'... a planet which, having reconnoitred, they name (or rename) Terra Nova.

I wonder what the chances were of the Moon encountering two wandering planets within a matter of days? Probably zero. So, yes, I'd say that, in E.C. Tubb's book at least, Meta and Terra Nova are one and the same.

Last edited by Commander Desica; 9th July 2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 9th July 2018, 04:52 PM
Spacehawk

Could be completely wrong about this, but doesn't Message From Moonbase Alpha reveal that the signal they received in Breakaway was actually the one sent by their future selves when they finally found a suitable planet and settled down?

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4