Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB Magazine

Notices

Old 3rd June 2018, 11:30 PM
The Snake

Well, to be honest if FAB continues to devote about a third of its pages each issue to NewTBs then I would have to consider whether I can justify a sub of 30. At 10 per issue it is already quite expensive. I very nearly did not renew this year.
Old 4th June 2018, 11:26 AM
Spacehawk

I personally tend to be of the belief that although probably 'appreciative' of it to some degree, the vast majority of Fanderson members (and therefore readers of FAB) will not have any deep or lasting interest in Thunderbirds are Go.

I say this, not merely from my personal point of view and based upon the POVs of others known to me, but because it seems to me that we are all mostly here because of the multitude of shows and films that Gerry Anderson himself created and supervised during a golden 50 year period.

Of course it's great that his most successful series, Thunderbirds, is still seen as relevant to today's audience, something that could not have been predicted all those decades ago, but I strongly believe that its core audience are not FAB readers. It's important to bear in mind that TBAG contains character and plot developments that have nothing whatsoever to do with anything Gerry Anderson created or oversaw and for this reason it can never be regarded as a 'true' or 'pure' GA show.

Of course there is some merit in giving the show mention in the pages of FAB from time to time, but extensive coverage would not be justified or welcomed by the majority of FAB readers. I suspect that, if put to the vote, most of us would rather read about the original, classic, 'proper' Thunderbirds series, or the films, which we grew to love a long time ago and were shaped and guided by Gerry Anderson and his team. As such, may I say, I really enjoyed New Captain Scarlet and would welcome more coverage of this series.

In the not too distant future, TBAG will disappear and will be forgotten about by all but a small and dedicated cadre of fanatics. Unlike the original which has never really gone away. Personally I would rather read about Joe 90, never my favourite GA show, than about TBAG and I genuinely believe that the majority of FAB readers would probably agree. So, let's keep the coverage of TBAG to the minimum and to within sensible parameters that reflect its popularity and worthiness. I'm not going to slag it off (!), just point out that the non-TBAG fans here probably outweigh the fans! By a considerable margin.

On a more positive note; great to see the TVTimes UFO fashions photospread reproduced as it's highly unlikely that any copies of this TVTimes Extra still exist. I've had a good look here and there and I can't find any! I did find a Joe 90 sweet cigarette card lying in the street once, right outside our house. But that's another story... Funnily enough, now that I think about it, I can't remember whether it was a sweet cigarette card or the sweet cigarette packet itself. It was 50 years ago and I was... a lot younger than I am now! All I remember for sure was mum telling me to 'put it down' because 'it's dirty'. Which I'm sure it was! Funny how such trivial incidents stay in the mind, especially when one thinks about all the things that have happened since! But those were the days when Joe 90 and all the others weren't just vintage curiosities, but a part of everyday life! I also remember an occasion in a theme park - many years later - in which I was up on the aerial runway, and telling an American kid to watch Space: 1999 because it was 'better than Star Trek'! Oh the memories. Maybe a whole future FAB feature could be built around them? Not mine alone, just funny little things that we all remember and associate with these great programmes.

Last edited by Commander Desica; 4th June 2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 4th June 2018, 07:04 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinspector View Post
Perhaps time to survey the membership to see how many want it rather than wait for renewals to decrease. Much easier to cater for the majority than to entice them back once they're gone.
An increasing level of pages devoted to the CGI series seems to indicate that we are running out of things to say about the genuine shows.
While the threads about the new show seem to be keeping this forum from dying I wonder what the overall feeling is throughout the whole membership?

Well there's a perfectly easy solution without going to the trouble of voting.

If you want to see specific content, then start creating it. As I've said before, being part of a fan club is not a passive spectator sport, jump in and get involved. If there's a specific type of content you want to see in the magazine, "quit yappin' and make it happen!" as Jeff would say.

While I'm not planning on exclusively producing TAG content for future issues, it's going to be in there from time to time, but then so is anything else I fancy having a good old write about. Bit of variety just to shake things up. Perhaps a review of an unaired pilot episode, or an in-depth look at how they extended the first 9 episodes of Thunderbirds, or maybe even trying to get to the bottom of why the special effects crew bought so many condoms for a particular effects sequence...who knows?

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 4th June 2018, 07:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram K Hackenbacker View Post
Well there's a perfectly easy solution without going to the trouble of voting.

If you want to see specific content, then start creating it. As I've said before, being part of a fan club is not a passive spectator sport, jump in and get involved. If there's a specific type of content you want to see in the magazine, "quit yappin' and make it happen!" as Jeff would say.

While I'm not planning on exclusively producing TAG content for future issues, it's going to be in there from time to time, but then so is anything else I fancy having a good old write about. Bit of variety just to shake things up. Perhaps a review of an unaired pilot episode, or an in-depth look at how they extended the first 9 episodes of Thunderbirds, or maybe even trying to get to the bottom of why the special effects crew bought so many condoms for a particular effects sequence...who knows?
And If I had any knowledge of such things perhaps I would.

But for the same reason I don't walk into a charity shop and buy items I've donated I don't pay 30 to Fanderson to read things I've written myself. I pay to read about GA articles written by people with more knowledge than I have about any given subject.
I could fill an entire issue of FAB writing about my own personal memories of trying to catch Gerry shows across the ITV regions back in the day when they were often hard to find but I doubt many other people would be interested.

Thanks to Nick Williams trip down under and what seems to be perhaps understandable difficulties in coming at the shows from a new angle TBAG seems to be easy filler.
I think a survey of the membership is a must. If as I suspect most give it a cautious thumbs up for the occasional article then the in depth articles in every issue will simply cost renewals.
If the survey shows a major interest in the show then Fanderson can continue to cater for those members while the old timers drift away.

A start might be seeing how many of the people who post on the TBAG threads are actually members. Same goes for the Facebook entries.
Old 4th June 2018, 07:42 PM
Spacehawk

I don't mind the odd bit of TAG coverage. I haven't caught many of the episodes and they're certainly not my cup of tea at all - but then they're not meant to be; they are - I guess - supposed to appeal to the kids of today. (And if I was to be cynical about it, to be the basis of a marketing industry that brings in the dough for ITV...)

As time wears on I should think it becomes harder and harder to think up new angles for coverage of the traditional GA series and I just don't see the harm in this 'modern' coverage as long as it doesn't start to dominate. And I doubt it will - I personally doubt there's much mileage left in TAG as an ongoing series; has it really been that successful?

I can at least see that the makers of TAG have some understanding of what went before, and have paid tribute to it too, while other stuff ('Chaos Crew' etc) is little more than crap.

But it's certainly no worse than the bloody awful Jonathan Frakes feature film
Old 6th June 2018, 08:36 PM
Shadbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinspector View Post
A start might be seeing how many of the people who post on the TBAG threads are actually members. Same goes for the Facebook entries.
OK - I think that's a fair question, so for the record:

I'm one of the ones that posts things on the Forum about TBAG (I don't post on Facebook as I don't have a Facebook account), and I'm not a member of Fanderson.

When I joined the forum when TBAG was starting up I was actually planning on joining - because I thought that Fanderson's relationship with ITV to allow it to publish Anderson related material for the members might give it access to more background on the making of the series than would be available elsewhere - the fact that hasn't isn't the case reduced that idea to something I decided not to spend the money on.

If there was some evidence that ITV would provide access to "making of" info etc to Fanderson, which then made it into "FAB" then it might convince me to change that position - but as it stands I have enough info on all the old series available to push joining below the line.

Now some thoughts: I have to say I find the whole "it's not Gerry's show, he didn't endorse it, it shouldn't be in FAB" a bit of an odd aguement when I thought the headline "mission" statement of Fanderson had been updated to say the aim was to reflect the work of both Gerry and Sylvia Anderson. Given that Sylvia voiced a character in the new series it would seem to show that she endorsed the show (at least to some extent).

I'd agree that TBAG is not "Thunderbirds" - it probably couldn't be given how children's TV has evolved, and it's nowhere near as good as I'd hoped it would be. However, is it really that bad - does liking it somehow mean that you're "dis-respecting" the original?

I'll accept that there are people that don't like it, OK - but I don't like Terrahawks, and I was never really convinced by "Secret Service", "Lavender Castle" or "Space Precinct" (perhaps I was the wrong age when they came out), it wouldn't (if I was a member) however make me say "if you put more things on them in FAB I'm going to quit" unless they took over completely.

OK - that's my view; I'm not a member, so perhaps it doesn't count, but I thought the question deserved an answer.

FAB_61 (perhaps I shouldn't even be using that as a username....... but I loved all the Anderson stuff as a child - and still do - and I was born in 1961 so I thought it made sense).

Last edited by FAB_61; 6th June 2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 6th June 2018, 09:03 PM
Banned

Thanks for your response.
That TBAG isn't a genuine Anderson show IS an old argument but it's also accurate. The fact that Sylvia voiced a character way back doesn't really change whether it merits the level of coverage.
I don't think the Fanderson remit has changed and it's mission is to cover the work of Gerry and Sylvia Anderson.
Spinoffs etc are always of interest but they usually only get a feature once. Shows like Lavender Castle also get rarely mentioned because the membership isn't really that interested in deep coverage of such a show.
TBAG was always going to be of interest to see what it was about but as it has nothing to do with any Anderson show beyond the title it really merits the amount of coverage it gets as much as Star Fleet would.

I think a survey would be in the best interests of the club. Rather than allow those tiring of FAB content to drift away I think it would be good if the club got an update on what its members want from the magazine.
If there is enough call for regular TBAG then they keep going as they are. If the unspoken majority of the membership really don't want the amount about the series they are getting it's surely in the best interest of the club to put a lid on it.

I doubt anyone likes every Anderson production so every issue of FAB is likely to include features on shows that are not ones we watch regularly but everyone accepts their inclusion because they fill the remit of the club which is to cover Anderson shows.

If one single whiner on Facebook calling for an annual general meeting can get the club to waste their time arranging one then surely something that will benefit all members like a survey is a good idea?
Old 12th June 2018, 12:57 AM
House Keeper Culver Bay

Thumbs up Fab 89

Received my Fab 89 in the mail today (Mon. 6-11-18) here in the USA ... lookin' fwd. to doing some FAB readin'!

Just a note to say how much I appreciate/enjoy this forum & all who put in the hard work on your FABulous mag!!

Also have ordered these Gerry Anderson gems recently:

NETWORK

Space: 1999: The Complete First Series Blu-ray

Space: 1999 - The Complete Second Series Blu-ray

New Captain Scarlet: The Complete Series Blu-ray

Terrahawks: The Complete First Series Blu-ray

Terrahawks: The Complete Second Series Blu-ray

Terrahawks: The Complete Third Series Blu-ray

New Captain Scarlet: Original Soundtrack

Jack the Ripper [BLU-RAY]

Fireball XL5: A Day in the Life of a Space General [BLU-RAY]

HD21 [BLU-RAY]

Filmed in Supermarionation / This is Supermarionation [BLU-RAY]

AMAZON.com

Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons: The Vault

Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons Audio CD

Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons: No. 1: The Spectrum File

Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons: No. 2: The Spectrum File

Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons: No. 3: The Spectrum File

FANDERSON Sales

FAB BINDER
FAB BOOKS BINDER
SHADO window stickers
Spectrum window stickers

Last edited by Parker; 12th June 2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12th June 2018, 05:43 PM
Zarin

I have to say with a heavy heart that I have not renewed
I've been a long time member (I have every FAB issue)but I no longer find much of interest.
I have all the soundtrack CD's (apart from JTTFSOTS, but i'm not bothered about that)so what is left to justify the cost?
FAB is now packed with 'filler' and too much TBAG content-----please don't say we all can contribute because i feel it's all been said and done now.
If some find it still interests them, fair enough.
I wish the club all the very best though, i really do...
Old 12th June 2018, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Received my Fab 89 in the mail today (Mon. 6-11-18) here in the USA ... lookin' fwd. to doing some FAB readin'!

Just a note to say how much I appreciate/enjoy this forum & all who put in the hard work on your FABulous mag!!

Also have ordered these Gerry Anderson gems recently:

NETWORK

Space: 1999: The Complete First Series Blu-ray

Space: 1999 - The Complete Second Series Blu-ray

New Captain Scarlet: The Complete Series Blu-ray

Terrahawks: The Complete First Series Blu-ray

Terrahawks: The Complete Second Series Blu-ray

Terrahawks: The Complete Third Series Blu-ray

New Captain Scarlet: Original Soundtrack

Jack the Ripper [BLU-RAY]

Fireball XL5: A Day in the Life of a Space General [BLU-RAY]

HD21 [BLU-RAY]

Filmed in Supermarionation / This is Supermarionation [BLU-RAY]

AMAZON.com

Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons: The Vault

Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons Audio CD

Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons: No. 1: The Spectrum File

Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons: No. 2: The Spectrum File

Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons: No. 3: The Spectrum File

FANDERSON Sales

FAB BINDER
FAB BOOKS BINDER
SHADO window stickers
Spectrum window stickers
I assume you're multi region for Bluray as most Network titles are Region B locked and also include 50hz content incompatible with the US 60hz format.

Were these items in the Network sale?
I think it works out cheaper to buy the complete Terrahawks set than 3 separate series.

Have you spotted the Fanderson Captain Scarlet cd set? It greatly expands on the standard single disc version you get on Amazon.

Either way you've got a great haul and many happy hours ahead!!