Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB Magazine

Notices

Old 19th November 2016, 03:31 PM
Dreisenberg Agent

A nice surprise to receive FAB 85 today but like others I'm not happy about the attention given to Thunderbirds Are Go - 12 pages in all including 4 dedicated to TAG The Comic. OK make mention of TAG currently being on ITV but not quite as much as this please. I'm 55 now so I therefore grew up with most of the Gerry Anderson series but not this show which has nothing to do with the man.

Last edited by Matthew Harding; 22nd November 2016 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Altering 10 pages to 12 pages
Old 19th November 2016, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAB_61 View Post

The "Peppa Pig" comment is perhaps an interesting one from a "trivia" point of view though - David Graham provides the voice for Grandpa Pig - so perhaps it would warrant a mention in any article about his work on the Anderson shows and what he's done since (inc TAG of course)....

Regards

FAB_61
David Graham does quite a few other voices in the show too although I find they are all instantly recognisable as the great man.
The new issue covers Sylvia Anderson voice work. I can't recall offhand if we already have one but a look at the entire career of David Graham would be interesting as he was in Timeslip and his voice work covers a lot of things including much uncredited work on ITC shows like The Champions

Last edited by phelings; 19th November 2016 at 04:31 PM.
Old 19th November 2016, 04:57 PM
Zarin

I agree totally with what's been said about needing to review TAG to engage the younger members, but i'd rather that this meant we'd have extra pages in an issue (in this case it needed 12 pages?) and not water down the original Anderson content.
Still always a good read though
Old 19th November 2016, 07:34 PM
Zarin

"I got my copy today aswell cant wait for the ufo book now and the article on fireball xl5 looks good tbag I love hate it I have got the dvds of series 1 seris 2 dose seem better I have to agree its never going to beat the original thunderbirds as the new doctor dosent beat the original the letters page gets smaller each issue looks a good read
Old 23rd November 2016, 04:04 PM
General Strond

Default Got mine too

Love the Stingray article (my fave show)
Old 23rd November 2016, 09:21 PM
Protector

Default Fab 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
The loss of 12 pages ( in addition to the 12 pages on TAG) is more of a concern this issue though
FAB 85 (52 pages) landed on my doormat in The Netherlands today. Great - albeit a bit heavy on TAG - I understand youth might enjoy it, but I'm from 1959...

As for the 12 missing pages, compared to isse 84 (64 pages) there are 12 pages less. Compared to issues 82 and 83 (60 pages) there are only 8 pages less. Never actually bothered about the exact number of pages, but considering the full 12 pages spent on TAG and fewer pages this issues in general, one wonders...

FAB
Old 23rd November 2016, 10:18 PM
Banned

Yes I never actually checked the number of pages before and always assumed it was the same each issue but 12 pages on TAG made me notice this time.
Old 24th November 2016, 01:13 PM
Spacehawk

How do you come up with new material and new angles for a subject ('Andersonism', if I could use that term) that has been around for over 50 years and had thousands if not millions of fans who have come and gone? Along of course with various fanzines, books and magazines that have covered the subject and also come and gone?

I have watched a couple of episodes of TAG and - I'm 54 - it's not really my cup of tea. But it's well done, I think done with a good heart and a clear desire to pay homage to the original.

Personally I didn't mind the coverage. I was interested in Peter Brigg's experiences as a scriptwriter and also the fact he's a fan of the original Anderson programmes (apart from - yawn - he wasn't a fan of The Protectors, Space: 1999 Year 2 or Terrahawks). Put him down as someone else who has been a fan and who has to some extent been shaped by that in his professional life.

Likewise I found the article about the TAG comic quite interesting. Stephen Baxter has covered Anderson related comics before and this is only an extension of that. OK, so Anderson wasn't personally involved in TAG but the antecedents of the new series are clear to see. Some of the article inevitably of course sounded like an advert for the magazine/comic. And these comments apply similarly to the article on the comic artist Martin Baines - ie, I can always find something of interest.

The alternative is to have umpteen different episode guides of all the traditional series but try to disguise them as something else (again) in the hope that people won't remember that episode guides now - in their simplest form anyway - have been done to death but - hey - it's still the 'old' Anderson stuff and fills up a few pages.
Old 24th November 2016, 09:37 PM
Butler

Personally I enjoyed the TAG articles. I also enjoy the series, but sometimes think they are trying to pack too much into the half hour (if only it was half an hour).
BTW I'm 60 now and have vivid memory of the 2nd programme I saw on our first TV was Supercar (the first was Robin Hood), so Gerry was an inspiration for me from the off.
Old 24th November 2016, 11:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Morris View Post
How do you come up with new material and new angles for a subject ('Andersonism', if I could use that term) that has been around for over 50 years and had thousands if not millions of fans who have come and gone?
I'm sure that is a problem discussed regularly by the committee but if the solution is to fill more pages with material inspired by Gerry and Sylvia rather than the real thing then that would be time for the club to close.
Of course the problem is not helped by the majority of the people involved in the shows having passed away