Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB Magazine

Notices

Old 12th April 2016, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Williams View Post
Chas, I've explained the club's position to you in a couple of private messages to you today. However, you've asked for a statement but I'm afraid you won't like it.

As with all club publications, merchandise and services, FAB magazine will continue to serve the needs and wants of the majority of Fanderson members. Whilst we cannot guarantee that every issue will satisfy every member 100%, it is there to serve the needs of the many, not the few, or even the one.

Nick
Surely this forum is the proper place to state the clubs position anyway - not in private messages

And the majority are interested in TAG?
A while back you said that the majority who had expressed a preference but you didn't clarify just what percentage of the membership had expressed an interest. If it was only a few then it's hardly representative of the club as a whole. And where does this information come from anyway? I've not seen anything aimed at the wider membership that allows them to give their opinions on this.

Not sure why it's hard to understand why people who subscribe to a club supposed to be for studying the work of Gerry and Sylvia Anderson are not at all interested in a show that isn't the work of Gerry or Sylvia Anderson - and one that is juvenile crap at best.
Maybe we could have a Star Fleet supplement in the next issue.

Last edited by phelings; 12th April 2016 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12th April 2016, 08:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP* View Post
I suspect that if all the members who have a serious objection to TAG appearing in FAB decided not to renew their membership, we'd be talking about a handful of people.

Who knows, maybe Fanderson might even pick up a few new members from people who have watched and enjoyed the new show ?
Yeah, like it has done since the broadcasts began!!

Nick Williams posted the renewal figures for the last 3 issues. Note the figures for the last 2 which coincided with the OTT TAG coverage and it's broadcast on tv.

Membership renewals for the period:
FAB 80 - 73%
FAB 81 - 60%
FAB 82 - 67%

Personally I would take figures showing that only between half and 3/4 of the membership were happy with the content as a hint that perhaps the content that was based on something new (TAG in this instance) was not of interest and what was required was a return to only features on shows that were the remit of the club.

If every single one of those renewing members was a TAG fan then fair play and keep going in that direction but that seems unlikely and as the number of consecutive issues including TAG features increases it will be interesting to see how the renewal figures go.

It seems the club has reasoned the low renewal after issue 81 was down to people who only subscribed to buy the soundtracks.
Or maybe it was because TAG features were taking up too much space.
I'm guessing members who fail to renew are never contacted to ask why. As I'm sure some simply forget it might be worth sending a single email to these people.

Last edited by phelings; 12th April 2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12th April 2016, 08:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Williams View Post
Chas, I've explained the club's position to you in a couple of private messages to you today. However, you've asked for a statement but I'm afraid you won't like it.

As with all club publications, merchandise and services, FAB magazine will continue to serve the needs and wants of the majority of Fanderson members. Whilst we cannot guarantee that every issue will satisfy every member 100%, it is there to serve the needs of the many, not the few, or even the one.

Nick
Do you ever get "proper" complaints from members when you include features on a show they don't like?
I would assume most members are clear about the clubs aims so if this issue or next issue doesn't include anything on our particular favourite it doesn't matter because we enjoy the other shows too albeit to a lesser extent.

But in the case of TAG it is not a Gerry Anderson show and has no place in the mag on a regular basis.
It really is that simple.

With the club apparently veering away from it's original remit it is troubling to consider that once TAG has come and gone that with it being treated equally along side actual Anderson shows that regular features might still be intruding the club mag a couple of years down the line.

Sorry if I seem to be labouring the point but I'm passionate about the shows that have been part of my viewing enjoyment for nearly 50 years and FAB really is the only regular publication that covers these shows. There actually is no alternative so I want to make sure about things before I cancel my membership. I think I've been a member for over 10 years and obtained merchandise from friends who were members for at least 20 years and I've followed the club for over 30 years even getting SIG when some issues were brand new so it's not a decision taken lightly

Last edited by phelings; 12th April 2016 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12th April 2016, 09:10 PM
Dreisenberg Agent

I have exchanged private messages with Nick Williams on this subject, but he seems to miss the point regarding TAG coverage.

I have tried to explain the fundamental issue as follows.

Why I object to anything but very minimal coverage for TAG flows from the club's Constitution. Looking at its Objects, it is plain that the magazine should be the nominal, ie the accepted, environment through which members can receive information about Gerry Anderson productions, whereas the Forum is the accepted environment for sharing information about connected interests. TAG is not a Gerry Anderson production. It is a connected interest. There is no point having a club constitution if you are not going to operate in accordance with it.

What I've been saying all along is that the club sets out its stall as the official appreciation society of Gerry Anderson productions and its objects clearly set out an expectation of what its magazine should be about. That plainly doesn't include TAG, but the odd page here and there wouldn't be as objectionable as ongoing features and episode guides on a non- Anderson production.

Now if the Committee would like to change the constitution and broaden the scope of the club then please do it in a formal manner and put it to the vote, rather than do whatever you fancy and present it as an unconstitutional fait accomplit. I appreciate that having a Constitution is something of a new experience for those running the club, but as things stand you might as well tear it up if you don't abide by your own rules. It's not a case of people trying to get their own way. It's a case of people expecting the club to abide by its own rules to deal with connected interests in accordance with the Constitution.

I would rather remain a member of the club, but it's hardly the end of the world for anybody if I don't.

Chas

Last edited by CJ88; 12th April 2016 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12th April 2016, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ88 View Post
I have exchanged private messages with Nick Williams on this subject, but he seems to miss the point regarding TAG coverage.

I have tried to explain the fundamental issue as follows.

Why I object to anything but very minimal coverage for TAG flows from the club's Constitution. Looking at its Objects, it is plain that the magazine should be the nominal, ie the accepted, environment through which members can receive information about Gerry Anderson productions, whereas the Forum is the accepted environment for sharing information about connected interests. TAG is not a Gerry Anderson production. It is a connected interest. There is no point having a club constitution if you are not going to operate in accordance with it.

What I've been saying all along is that the club sets out its stall as the official appreciation society of Gerry Anderson productions and its objects clearly set out an expectation of what its magazine should be about. That plainly doesn't include TAG, but the odd page here and there wouldn't be as objectionable as ongoing features and episode guides on a non- Anderson production.

Now if the Committee would like to change the constitution and broaden the scope of the club then please do it in a formal manner and put it to the vote, rather than do whatever you fancy and present it as an unconstitutional fait accomplit. I appreciate that having a Constitution is something of a new experience for those running the club, but as things stand you might as well tear it up if you don't abide by your own rules. It's not a case of people trying to get their own way. It's a case of people expecting the club to abide by its own rules to deal with connected interests in accordance with the Constitution.

I would rather remain a member of the club, but it's hardly the end of the world for anybody if I don't.

Chas
Nicely put.
As I said in my earlier post -TAG is not a Gerry Anderson production- it really is that simple
I wonder how much coverage the show would have if Gerry was still alive. Not much is my guess.
Didn't someone at the club get access to the show from ITV? Perhaps they feel they owe it to ITV to give the show coverage

Seems like we'll both be taking a break
Old 12th April 2016, 09:20 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
Not sure why it's hard to understand why people who subscribe to a club supposed to be for studying the work of Gerry and Sylvia Anderson are not at all interested in a show that isn't the work of Gerry or Sylvia Anderson - and one that is juvenile crap at best.
Not that anyone on here will notice or care, but the TAG Facebook group has amassed a following of almost 3,000
members which is over more than half the number on the Fanderson Facebook group, which has been running a lot longer. I might add that few to none of them are juvenile.

Also, just pointing out again for the record that almost all the main characters were created by Sylvia Anderson originally, and David Graham is still playing Parker on an regular basis (please, no lame excuses about it not being the same character, it's the same guy voicing the same character with the same name, the same shady criminal past, the same function within the narrative and the same face.)

Matt Zimmerman guested in an episode and openly stated that he enjoyed doing so at both 2015 conventions. Sylvia practically had a whole episode to herself in which the original FAB 1 appeared.

The characters, vehicles and premise are directly taken from the original series in almost every respect, and it is referenced in so many ways, as are Gerry's other series (there was even an in joke involving Torchy and another referencing Straker's car licence plate from UFO).

In all likelihood Thunderbirds probably contributes at least 50% to the overall popularity of the sum of Gerry and Sylvia's series. Certainly it's one of the most instantly recognizable and beloved. Given that TAG shares the majority of its DNA with the original series, it'd be crazy not to give it it's fair share of space in FAB. Make a list of point for point similarities and differences and TAG is easily closer to Thunderbirds than NCS to Captain Scarlet. You can trounce out the "It wasn't made by Gerry" argument as often as you like, it doesn't change the sheer mass of similarities with the original series, which in themselves are reason enough for it to be featured.

Don't like TAG? Fine. No issues with that.
Gerry didn't make TAG? Correct, gold star award.
TAG is nothing to do with Gerry or Sylvia Anderson? ummm...naaah. Sylvia's in it, and 95% of it is based on what they created, so it's practically everything to do with them. It's not apples and oranges, it's apples and a fractionally different colour of apples.

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 12th April 2016, 09:31 PM
Dreisenberg Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram K Hackenbacker View Post

Don't like TAG? Fine. No issues with that.
Gerry didn't make TAG? Correct, gold star award.
TAG is nothing to do with Gerry or Sylvia Anderson? ummm...naaah. Sylvia's in it, and 95% of it is based on what they created, so it's practically everything to do with them. It's not apples and oranges, it's apples and a fractionally different colour of apples.
Although TAG is derived from an Anderson production it is plainly not of itself an Anderson production. Therefore it should be classed as a connected interest and treated accordingly.
Old 12th April 2016, 09:37 PM
Banned

How many of the members of the TAG group are paid up members of Fanderson?
How many of those willing to click on a few website buttons are also willing to stump up 30 to read about the show.

You can quote all the same old guff to justify its inclusion that you like but as has already been pointed out it is NOT an Anderson production , it's inclusion goes against the constitution of the club.

I guess we will have to see how the renewals go over the next 12 months to see just how many of those paying 30 are actually enjoying reading about a show for which Anderson had no involvement.

David Graham doing voices and Sylvia appearing in one really is clutching at straws to justify the shows inclusion.
And the fact that Gerry created the characters as justification is even weaker. All these occurrences could be covered in one page.

The 2004 movie is based on what they created too but that was also crap and it's place in Anderson history is lower than whale turds.

Last edited by phelings; 12th April 2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12th April 2016, 09:48 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ88 View Post
Although TAG is derived from an Anderson production it is plainly not of itself an Anderson production. Therefore it should be classed as a connected interest and treated accordingly.
Well considering that Gerry passed away before it started and Sylvia passed away shortly after it finished, there won't ever be any more Anderson productions. No new material. Kaput. Finito. Anything that's in production now will not be under their direction or supervision. Are we to shun Gemini Force One? Are we to shun Firestorm? Are we to shun The Last Station?

Okay, we'll do that. So what are we to do next? Continue going around in ever decreasing circles like the bunch of utter nerds that we are until everyone involved with the various shows and their pets have passed on and it gets to the point were we're analyzing individual pixels in Ultra Mega Superlative HD of every one of the series rather than admit that it makes a lot more sense to cover the closely related material grounded in the original lore?

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
https://youtu.be/P1C5JE8MZi4
Old 12th April 2016, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram K Hackenbacker View Post
Are we to shun Gemini Force One? Are we to shun Firestorm? Are we to shun The Last Station?
Pretty much yes.

A single feature on each will be fine much as other Anderson inspired productions have been.
The club remains the one we pay to read about Anderson productions not Anderson "Inspired" Productions.

I didn't join Fanderson to read about "closely related material". ( not in quantity at least)

As the clubs views now seem very clear I guess it will take a year to see who is right. That 60% renewal figure after the TAG debut issue seems clear already though.
My maths isn't great but if 67% renewed after issue 82 that sounds like you have less members now than before TAG articles became regular

Last edited by phelings; 12th April 2016 at 09:56 PM.