Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB Magazine

Notices

Old 10th April 2016, 11:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahame View Post
Another alternative would be to publish all the TAG content in a fourth FAB issue each year that members can subscribe to as an optional extra at an additional cost.

G.
Many clubs /magazines have over the years published additional smaller publications in between the main magazine so it seems like a good idea to do the same for TAG. There are clearly a number of members who want to read about it but at the same time there are also long time / old farts who are not interested in it one bit and with only 3 issues per year and almost 10 an issue I think it is expecting a lot for us to just simply keep paying.

Fair enough if the majority want it then Fanderson should continue as they have been and make the magazine more relevant for the new fans while us oldies slip away quietly but I don't genuinely believe that the majority are interested in seeing more than a page each issue on this ( we keep saying it) NON Gerry Anderson series.

A fill in mag would seem the ideal place to put it. A mag all to itself would be appealing to the shows fans and the numbers sold might give a true reflection on how many people are interested enough.

Unless the interview mentioned is with David Graham I'm not interested in reading it.
As a show with no Anderson involvement it does seem appropriate for in depth features to appear outside FAB
Old 11th April 2016, 07:26 AM
R.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram K Hackenbacker View Post
Can confirm that there are another 13 episodes to guide through and an interview to follow that as well, the interview will be at least issue 84, but the episode guide may be issue 83.

I imagine there will be 52 other episodes to cover next year.
Excellent. Looking forward to reading them.
Old 11th April 2016, 08:06 PM
Slomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ88 View Post
I would really like Nick Williams to make a plain statement as to the maximum amount of space in the magazine that will in future be given over to TAG. That way I (and I suspect others too) can make an informed decision as to whether or not to renew my membership.
Which is where I am at the moment, actually. Holding off on re-joining the club until TBAG's long-term effect on the magazine becomes a little clearer.

I totally understand that it's a difficult balancing act, providing for those who are interested in the new CGI show without driving away those who aren't...but the last issue went way overboard with the TBAG coverage, to the exclusion of other interesting projects. It's an uncomfortable echo of the blanket coverage the 2004 movie received - which led me to leave the club for a number of years. I didn't want to, but issue after issue of coverage of something Gerry had no input in just meant I was paying for something I wasn't reading.

And like I said, it's a difficult balancing act; even though it's one of Gerry's shows someone who doesn't like The Protectors might feel cheated if 10 pages of their new issue of FAB are devoted to it. You can't please everybody, but turning over a number of pages to the new show when there's a significant percentage of the membership that isn't interested in it seems a bit risky. Especially since the membership fee went up and FAB went from four issues to three.

For the record I don't really have anything against the new show. Not in the way I did the 2004 film. It's clearly for little kids, so it's all pretty bland and unengaging, but it's harmless enough. I just don't really want to read about it in FAB...
Old 11th April 2016, 08:16 PM
Banned

The simple fact that it has zero Anderson involvement should mean it has a cursory mention , perhaps one feature like anything inspired by Anderson material and that should be it.
As you say, even if it's a show we don't like personally the sheer volume of episodes made by Gerry over the years means there will rarely be an issue where everybody is interested in 100% of the content but because of the club remit I don't mind and in some cases it's still a good read.
But at almost 10 an issue I don't want to see page after page wasted on a series that even if it was any good would still not have a place in FAB.

If they want to print material on it regularly I think a small supplement separate from the main magazine might be a good idea.
And if it requires people to pay for it then we might get a better idea how many are interested enough.

I shall still buy FAB but at the cheaper price as a back issue and rejoin when the Joe 90 soundtrack is up for grabs.

Do you have to be a member to buy FAB back issues? Or would I have to rely on ebay?

Last edited by phelings; 11th April 2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11th April 2016, 09:19 PM
Agent Blake

You have to be a paid up member to purchase any items
from Fanderson Sales.
Old 12th April 2016, 12:59 AM
The Snake

I'm another one who wouldn't be chuffed with over the top coverage of TAG. I couldn't bring myself to watch it after the first batch of episodes for all the reasons I've posted earlier. Even if Gerry Anderson had any involvement I still wouldn't be interested (not that I expect it would be as bad as it is if he had been involved - he would never have dumbed it down to what it is).

However I have had to really give careful consideration as to whether I was renewing my subscription the last 2 years. And I'm talking as someone who joined around the early 1990s. As I rarely buy any Fanderson merchandise - some soundtracks only not even them all - so all my sub is really just used for FAB. And now it is 10 per issue, I'm really having difficulty justifying it to myself without page upon page of TAG coverage.

Keith
Old 12th April 2016, 12:48 PM
Spacehawk

Generally, we seem to be seeing a big 'thumbs down' for more TBAG coverage within the pages of FAB. Having said that, it wasn't my intention for this thread to become an exercise in TBAG knocking! I think Duke Dexter summed it up perfectly when he suggested that those of us who don't like the series and were quite vocal (!) in our dislike of it last year, have now moved on to other more important pursuits!

As far as merchandise goes, I believe there are some exciting things in the works and I for one have always been impressed with the quality of Fanderson's merchandise.

In many ways, now seems to be a pretty exciting time to be a fan of the works of Gerry Anderson.

FAB.

P.S. I look forward to issue 83 with mounting excitement!

Last edited by Commander Desica; 12th April 2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12th April 2016, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Desica View Post
Generally, we seem to be seeing a big 'thumbs down' for more TBAG coverage within the pages of FAB. Having said that, it wasn't my intention for this thread to become an exercise in TBAG knocking! I think Duke Dexter summed it up perfectly when he suggested that those of us who don't like the series and were quite vocal (!) in our dislike of it last year, have now moved on to other more important pursuits!
Indeed we have , which is why we no longer go on the forum for that particular series, however FAB is what our subs pay for so it's content is possibly the most important issue from our view and should be also for those expecting us to carry on paying for its production.
Old 12th April 2016, 03:53 PM
Dreisenberg Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ88 View Post
I would really like Nick Williams to make a plain statement as to the maximum amount of space in the magazine that will in future be given over to TAG. That way I (and I suspect others too) can make an informed decision as to whether or not to renew my membership.
Chas, I've explained the club's position to you in a couple of private messages to you today. However, you've asked for a statement but I'm afraid you won't like it.

As with all club publications, merchandise and services, FAB magazine will continue to serve the needs and wants of the majority of Fanderson members. Whilst we cannot guarantee that every issue will satisfy every member 100%, it is there to serve the needs of the many, not the few, or even the one.

Nick
Old 12th April 2016, 05:27 PM
R.A.T.

I suspect that if all the members who have a serious objection to TAG appearing in FAB decided not to renew their membership, we'd be talking about a handful of people.

Who knows, maybe Fanderson might even pick up a few new members from people who have watched and enjoyed the new show ?