Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Harlington Straker Studios

Notices

Old 28th March 2016, 06:43 PM
Jason Smith

Default did ITV companies originally begin 'thunderbirds' with '5'?

when grampian used to show 'thunderbirds' in the late 70s/early 80s an announcer would say 'and now 'thunderbirds' fade to black & start with peter dyneley saying '5!' and a full view of thunderbird 5 which became one of the most iconic opening title sequences in TV history.i'm asking anyone if you're reading this,how did your local ITV station would open each episode of 'thunderbirds' from 1965 to 1984? i've seen some continuity announcements on youtube including TSW's roger shaw introducing the christmas episode & start with a full view of thunderbird 5 missing out the '5' & some continuity of LWT showing it on saturday mornings in 1981 in between the LWT information & begin with a static holding slide of the 1978 LWT ident & i'm not sure as the clips were blocked LWT may cut to the '5' shot or slow fade to a full view of TB5. if the vision mixers at all the ITV companies at the time may not begin at '5' but started probably at '4' and a full view of TB4!
Old 28th March 2016, 09:28 PM
Banned

I suspect any anomalies were a simple case of cutting to the opening titles a brief moment later than intended.
Back then some ITV regions would present a regional ident caption before the start of any imported movie or non ITV tv show. ( and ITC shows were treated as non ITV)
ATV did it with every movie. I don't recall Anglia ever doing it although a movie being shown only by Anglia would end with "An Anglia Presentation".
If TB5 was ever skipped I doubt it was a regular thing
Old 29th March 2016, 12:21 PM
Main Mission Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
I suspect any anomalies were a simple case of cutting to the opening titles a brief moment later than intended.
Back then some ITV regions would present a regional ident caption before the start of any imported movie or non ITV tv show. ( and ITC shows were treated as non ITV)
ATV did it with every movie. I don't recall Anglia ever doing it although a movie being shown only by Anglia would end with "An Anglia Presentation".
If TB5 was ever skipped I doubt it was a regular thing
I thought the regional Ident and jingle was only used at the start of a programme when the region was involved in it's production.
For example ATV were linked with Gerry Anderson via Lew Grade's deals with ATV,but the famous ATV ident (probably the most impressive ) was never displayed before the start of UFO for example.

I remember this distinctly when continuity announcer Joan Palmer would say on a Saturday afternoon "now here's Ufo"
and it would just start with the usual 21st Century dart logo, sometimes not.This was in 1971.

In 1974 similarly Peter Tomlinson (another continuity announcer for ATV) on a Sunday Lunchtime stated "now we enter the world of UFO's and CONFLICT"" again the programme started immediately.

The ATV ident and the jingle for example were always played prior to the soap "Crossroads" made by ATV and which for me was always part of the UFO television landscape at the time.Like many others.

Other regions did the same thing.Like the 3 colour winding trail of the LWT ident before "On the Buses" a LWT production, yet another fond memory in the UFO TV landscape.

Last edited by elder7uk; 29th March 2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 29th March 2016, 12:45 PM
Dr. Cedric Agon

I lived in the Anglia region from late fifties till early nineties and can recall that when Thunderbirds was shown we would occasionally miss the "FIVE" as a visual with TB4 being the first craft shown. It was so frustrating.
Whether this was during the original showings or a later repeat I can't be sure.
Anglia's first Thunderbirds broadcasts were on a Saturday evening. With My father being a Dixon of Dock Green Fan the two programmes overlapped so I would occasionally miss the first 15-20 minutes.
Luckily every other week he worked a late shift so I could see complete episodes.

Steve
Old 29th March 2016, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsmith View Post
I lived in the Anglia region from late fifties till early nineties and can recall that when Thunderbirds was shown we would occasionally miss the "FIVE" as a visual with TB4 being the first craft shown. It was so frustrating.
Whether this was during the original showings or a later repeat I can't be sure.
Anglia's first Thunderbirds broadcasts were on a Saturday evening. With My father being a Dixon of Dock Green Fan the two programmes overlapped so I would occasionally miss the first 15-20 minutes.
Luckily every other week he worked a late shift so I could see complete episodes.

Steve
While Anglia began showing Thunderbirds on saturday evenings in september/october 1965 it was only for a few weeks. By December they had replaced Thunderbirds with Lost In Space and moved TB to a 7pm slot on Thursdays
Old 29th March 2016, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elder7uk View Post
I thought the regional Ident and jingle was only used at the start of a programme when the region was involved in it's production.
For example ATV were linked with Gerry Anderson via Lew Grade's deals with ATV,but the famous ATV ident (probably the most impressive ) was never displayed before the start of UFO for example.

I remember this distinctly when continuity announcer Joan Palmer would say on a Saturday afternoon "now here's Ufo"
and it would just start with the usual 21st Century dart logo, sometimes not.This was in 1971.

In 1974 similarly Peter Tomlinson (another continuity announcer for ATV) on a Sunday Lunchtime stated "now we enter the world of UFO's and CONFLICT"" again the programme started immediately.

The ATV ident and the jingle for example were always played prior to the soap "Crossroads" made by ATV and which for me was always part of the UFO television landscape at the time.Like many others.

Other regions did the same thing.Like the 3 colour winding trail of the LWT ident before "On the Buses" a LWT production, yet another fond memory in the UFO TV landscape.
ATV wouldn't have used the ATV jingle for ITC shows.
At the time it seemed a strange quirk that ATV and ITV itself didn't like to acknowledge that ITC was a subsidiary of ATV.

From what I saw the use of regional jingles for product the region didn't produce was a locally made decision that didn't apply across the whole network.

I don't recall the Anglia or Thames jingles before movies but always for ATV although they all had the logo with the word "presentation" at the end although that never seemed to appear on any networked movies
Old 30th March 2016, 12:02 PM
Main Mission Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
ATV wouldn't have used the ATV jingle for ITC shows.
At the time it seemed a strange quirk that ATV and ITV itself didn't like to acknowledge that ITC was a subsidiary of ATV.

From what I saw the use of regional jingles for product the region didn't produce was a locally made decision that didn't apply across the whole network.

I don't recall the Anglia or Thames jingles before movies but always for ATV although they all had the logo with the word "presentation" at the end although that never seemed to appear on any networked movies
Apologies Phelings,we may be getting confused here.

Yes there were no jingles or idents before ITC shows like UFO,which is what I was explaining.
You may well be right of course about production jingles prior to any programme made by one franchise or the other not being displayed generally across the whole network.But yes it was the certainly the case with ATV.

I have to say I would find it strange for the ATV jingle to be shown before any film.That wouldn't seem to fit in with the rules about not being involved in the production.

Yes I agree a logo stating being a "presentation" I recall clearly displayed at the end of many programmes.
Old 30th March 2016, 12:34 PM
R.A.T.

I distinctly recall ATV using the ATV jingle before showings of Space: 1999 Yr 2 on Sundays in the late 70s.

I'm pretty sure when I was very young, Granada didn't bother with the 5-4-3-2-1 on some screenings of Thunderbirds and would start at the point where the TB logo appeared. That would have been late 60s.

Last edited by DukeDexter; 30th March 2016 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 30th March 2016, 05:20 PM
Main Mission Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDexter View Post
I distinctly recall ATV using the ATV jingle before showings of Space: 1999 Yr 2 on Sundays in the late 70s.

I'm pretty sure when I was very young, Granada didn't bother with the 5-4-3-2-1 on some screenings of Thunderbirds and would start with the logo appearing. That would have been late 60s.
Well that suggests there were no set rules at all.
Possibly a way to make up time.Just an extra 10 to 20 second here or there.The logo not seeming out of place,making a fitting start or end to the programme.
Old 30th March 2016, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elder7uk View Post
Apologies Phelings,we may be getting confused here.

Yes there were no jingles or idents before ITC shows like UFO,which is what I was explaining.
You may well be right of course about production jingles prior to any programme made by one franchise or the other not being displayed generally across the whole network.But yes it was the certainly the case with ATV.

I have to say I would find it strange for the ATV jingle to be shown before any film.That wouldn't seem to fit in with the rules about not being involved in the production.

Yes I agree a logo stating being a "presentation" I recall clearly displayed at the end of many programmes.
I didn't get ATV until 1977 and I definitely recall them using the ATV jingle before regionally presented movies. It was something I noticed straight away because Anglia ( my local station) didn't do it.