Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB News

Notices

Old 29th September 2017, 05:06 PM
Banned

Default Captain Scarlet On Bluray - At last

A bit late in the day but Network have announced Captain Scarlet on Bluray.
November 20th is the day for Volume 1.

http://networkonair.com/exclusives/2...u-ray-pre-buy-
Old 29th September 2017, 05:53 PM
Spacehawk

Just bought it.

40 for the set is a bit more than I'd like to pay... but in 10 instalments, it might not hurt too much!

And it is his birthday!!!
Old 29th September 2017, 07:33 PM
Cloudbase Doctor

Default "Guess I'll have to buy the White Album again."

Stingray - for the love of God, Network, we need a new master of Stingray! The Carlton masters are getting close to 20 years old! Even just a new SD/480p release would be fine!

I say that only because the Scarlet masters from Carlton have held up pretty well - upscaled on my BD player they're pretty sharp. It's down to the film stock, I imagine, as well as the more 'static' nature of Scarlet photography.

While these will be welcome (plan: buy vol. 1 as a taster, then hold out for the complete boxset down the line, although I do like the most recent ITV boxart), I worry about the remastering wiping out what seems to be contrast/shadows much like the Star Trek TOS BDs.

Likewise, the Shout! Factory Thunderbirds release, which is undoubtedly superbly transferred, suffers a little in this way, as well as the transfer been so good that it practically removes the film grain altogether, leaving you with the intermittent impression you're watching HDTV video.

Hopefully they retain what I thought was an excellent 5.1 audio mix from the Carlton discs (no wheezing sfx added here!) as well as the generous extras from the DVD release.
Old 29th September 2017, 09:03 PM
Banned

We don't need a new master for Stingray before Captain Scarlet or Joe 90. I think Stingrays more juvenile nature may put off some people even though everyone here would likely pick it up.
This now makes things look more hopeful for a Joe 90 Blu next year and a Thunderbirds one in 2020. Will Bluray still be viable for Stingrays 60th?

I agree the Scarlet 5.1 was surprisingly good but they missed off the 5.1 with the New Captain Scarlet release so that means we will have to wait and see. Not got NCS so don't know if it's 50hz or not but I wonder if the change in frame rate and speed makes it difficult for the 5.1 track to be ported over from the original series. Although ITV did with Thunderbirds

Last edited by theinspector; 29th September 2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 30th September 2017, 05:38 AM
House Keeper Culver Bay

You in the UK are so lucky!

However, I informed and requested to Shout! on Facebook to make it happen in the States too.

I'll also tell you another thing you should have in the UK; an awesome Thunderbirds set on Blu-ray.
Old 30th September 2017, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Fanderson View Post
You in the UK are so lucky!

However, I informed and requested to Shout! on Facebook to make it happen in the States too.

I'll also tell you another thing you should have in the UK; an awesome Thunderbirds set on Blu-ray.
It would never have occurred to me NOT to be multi region so I got the US Thunderbirds set not long after it came out although I have kept the compromised UK edition too.
Now that Bluray editions of other shows are starting to appear I would have expected the US to follow suit so it's surprising that Thunderbirds was released yet nothing for Space 1999 and UFO - both surely more popular
Old 2nd October 2017, 07:17 PM
Paradox Pilot

I just got a dispatch notification on my Scarlet blu ray order...assuming that's a mistake, has anyone else had this? Not that I'd complain getting Vol 1 early, I've been waiting to see this show in HD for years.
Old 2nd October 2017, 09:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderbirdSix View Post
I just got a dispatch notification on my Scarlet blu ray order...assuming that's a mistake, has anyone else had this? Not that I'd complain getting Vol 1 early, I've been waiting to see this show in HD for years.
Same here. It's happened before with other titles.
Network may be the best disc label out there with a treasure trove of titles over the years that I will go to my grave thanking them for - but their website and associated use of communication remains as dire as it's always been
Old 2nd October 2017, 09:17 PM
Spacehawk

Yeah, me too.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is, indeed, on its way. But judging from the above posts, I may be disappointed. Oh well.
Old 21st November 2017, 09:38 PM
SID

Has anyone received the first volume yet? Hopefully mine will arrive tomorrow!