Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Thunderbirds Are Go!

Notices

Old 13th August 2016, 03:22 PM
Commissioner Simmonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purupuss View Post
Hi FAB 61

I had an absolutely brilliant time, thanks to the folks at Weta Workshop and Pukeko Pictures, something that I'm hoping to show in my report, which, once again, I will send to Weta Workshop for approval before I submit it here.

As for the answers to everyone's questions, I do have a confession to make. Because I thought it was highly unlikely that our guide would know the answers, I forwarded them to my friendly contact at Weta Workshop. I had an email from him last week to let me know that I haven't been forgotten and when I get those answers, you'll be one of the first to know.

My one regret - that I've got no photos to remind me of exactly what I saw.

But one thing I can reveal - if you ever get the chance to attend the Thunderbirds are Go experience - GO!
Hello Purupuss,

Thanks for the reply - glad to hear you had a good time. Sounds like I need to get to NZ again........

Hopefully some answers will emerge soon, especially now that news on Series 2 is starting to appear.

Regards

FAB_61
Old 25th October 2016, 09:51 AM
Supreme Commander

Location: An island in the South Pacific Ocean... Well, several, actually.
Smile Reporting back

At long last my report on my trip to Weta Workshop and the Thunderbirds are Go Experience has been completed - along with the answers to your questions and others. You can check out the full - Purupuss-length - report here:

https://purupuss.kiwi.nz/2016/10/25/...go-experience/

I thought I'd better get it up since some of you have already had the chance to watch the opening two episodes of season two. Goodness knows when New Zealand's going to get it.

Last edited by Purupuss; 25th October 2016 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Jealousy
Old 1st November 2016, 09:12 PM
Supreme Commander

Default Thank You and Congratulations!

Purupus,

I can't say enough, - Thank You so much for this. I have read over the article twice and know I still have not taken everything in properly.
Its not just your own detail and enthusiasm, its the clear joy the people of Pukekko and Weta have in what they do, and that sense of privilege that comes across in their happiness at not only making Thunderbirds TAG, but being able to share how they make it too. I really hope I can get the chance to see it myself one day, but even if I don't what you have experienced is wonderful to read.

I'd also like to note a couple of specific points.

The Maori lexicon. -
Thanks for this. I love leaning about cultures from other parts of the world, and getting their pronunciation and context right is a big part of that for me.

Nikau Trees -
Several episodes show Tracy Island's location on the monitor map inside the Operation dome of Thunderbird 5.2. Usually when John calls home. (Ring Of Fire II and Breakdown spring to mind) - It confirms that the TAG Island is indeed close to New Zealand!

Virgil's Shirt -
I looked up Swanndri online. I have seen similar styles of padded outdoor work shirt here in the UK but lacking the length. Judging by the rolled up sleeves, button front and the fact he has an undershirt, Virgil's shirt is probably a more conventional thin cotton print plaid shirt. (I have worn one in a similar way, with a t-shirt underneath._ - They are incredibly thin.)

Once more a huge Thank You, (If you were within reach you'd get a massive hug.) for sharing this experience with us all. It really is Fabulously Appreciated, Brilliant.

Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 1st November 2016 at 11:10 PM.
Old 2nd November 2016, 08:42 AM
Supreme Commander

Location: An island in the South Pacific Ocean... Well, several, actually.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird 2 View Post
Purupus,

...Nikau Trees -
Several episodes show Tracy Island's location on the monitor map inside the Operation dome of Thunderbird 5.2. Usually when John calls home. (Ring Of Fire II and Breakdown spring to mind) - It confirms that the TAG Island is indeed close to New Zealand!

Virgil's Shirt -
I looked up Swanndri online. I have seen similar styles of padded outdoor work shirt here in the UK but lacking the length. Judging by the rolled up sleeves, button front and the fact he has an undershirt, Virgil's shirt is probably a more conventional thin cotton print plaid shirt. (I have worn one in a similar way, with a t-shirt underneath._ - They are incredibly thin.)...

Once more a huge Thank You, (If you were within reach you'd get a massive hug.) for sharing this experience with us all. It really is Fabulously Appreciated, Brilliant.
Aw, gee, thank you. (The closest the forum has to a blushing emoticon). I'm pleased that someone enjoyed my report and was able to feel a fraction of the excitement that I felt.

There were at least six people from Weta Workshop / Pukeko Pictures (including the bus driver) who went out of their way to give me a FAB time, when they would have been well within their rights to take my $25 and give me the basic experience. And I can't thank them enough. Even four months afterwards I'm still buzzing. (And keep thinking "I did that" when I see the palm trees fall back. )

It's clear that the people making the show are doing their best to be as true to the original as they can, and the detail and scale of their models is breathtaking. I'd go back tomorrow if I could, and I dare say I'd see things that I didn't get to see last time. - Like the photographic opportunity with "Virgil". (The original's always going to be my favourite, but V.2 is a good substitute.)

A couple of notes about your notes: I think that Tracy Island is close to Niue. If not actually there after the sea level has risen. My reasoning is that when NZ Mint released a series of coins to mark Thunderbirds 50th anniversary, they were Niuean currency. One of the guys at work is part Niuean and he was astounded to learn this, and wondered why his small island nation would choose to mint such a niche coin. Then Ring of Fire showed Tracy Island's location in the Pacific. I said to him: "Guess where it was."

"The homeland?"

"Yep."

Swanndri: I think you're probably right, as a woollen bush shirt would be a bit much for a tropical island. I think that it's more likely to be a cotton work shirt, suitable for an engineer to wear and get dirty. However I did read an article about the Thunderbirds are Go Experience in the New Zealand Herald yesterday, and the reporter said it was a Swanndri, so either he was following my logic, or his guide told him that.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment. Even a virtual hug is appreciated.

Last edited by Purupuss; 2nd November 2016 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Notes about notes
Old 2nd November 2016, 05:25 PM
Commissioner Simmonds

Hello Sereena,

I'd also like to say a big thanks for all your efforts on this - hopefully I'll be able to get to the exhibit at some point to see all of this in person.

ITV are, as usually, not giving much away in the answers - but at least they seem to have a plan.

I note your comment about all the enthusiasm for all of this at Weta, it was obvious when I was there last year, and that they are trying to keep as much as possible from the original.

I think however that we have to accept that this series is never going to be "the same" - it's targetted at a specific audience, and in that respect ITV/Pukeko seem to be succeeding - given how many countries this has now been sold to.

My main disappointment however is that Weta doesn't seem to have ended up with a licence to make some decent figures etc from the series (which they would be very capable of doing given the other stuff they make). Looks like we might be reliant on either Robert Harrops or the range that Big Chief Studies announced recently (though I'm not sure either of those licences extends to the new series either).

Thanks Again

FAB_61
Old 2nd November 2016, 07:38 PM
Supreme Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAB_61 View Post
My main disappointment however is that Weta doesn't seem to have ended up with a licence to make some decent figures etc from the series (which they would be very capable of doing given the other stuff they make). Looks like we might be reliant on either Robert Harrops or the range that Big Chief Studies announced recently (though I'm not sure either of those licences extends to the new series either).
FAB_61
I would not worry too much FAB 61. What with Vivid Toys, Takara Tomy and others getting licenses on TAG-15, I would not be surprised if Weta do get some license opportunities. -They made The LOTR film series after all! -
Especially since they are now using miniatures of the Thunderbirds and FAB1.2 on their Bigatures sets! I admit I am guessing, but it may only be a matter of time. - Especially with the palpable feeling of enthusiasm and love Weta have for their work that comes across in Purupus's report.

Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 2nd November 2016 at 09:21 PM.