Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Thunderbirds Are Go Episode Reviews > Thunderbirds Are Go! - Series 2 - Episode Reviews

Old 10th December 2017, 01:45 PM
DT019 Pilot
Default Episode 2.25* - Brains V Brawn - Discussion

The Mechanic completes Project Sentinel, and aims to test its capabalities by making The Hood his first target.
As International Rescue try to save The Hood, Brains embarks on a dangerous mission to stop The Mechanic once and for all...

Guest Cast:

Written By:
Benjamin Townsend

Directed by:
Chad Moffitt

Season 3 of Thunderbirds Are Go will begin in the Spring of 2018.

A Review Thread for "Inferno" will be created once Season 2.2 is released on DVD on February 5th 2018.
(ITV have confirmed the episode is not going to be transmitted or released on DVD in the United Kingdom.)
This is Thunderbird 2, how can I assist?

Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 27th January 2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 16th December 2017, 09:40 AM

i think it was pretty good for a season finale, but i cant help thinking it could have been better. we still dont know what the Mechanic's relation to Brains is?

also, at the end we see the Hood get into a GDF aircraft cockpit with 2 new henchmen, could those be Transom & Mullion from TB2004?
Old 16th December 2017, 10:17 AM
Mario Coletti

An entertaining episode, but overall I’m not sure what to make of it.

As a series finale it didn’t seem that ambitious as a story (why not a 2 parter for example), and an odd mix of action and the comedy of the pod with the Hood in being thrown from vehicle to vehicle.

On the other hand it threw some twists in – the fact the Mechanic was trying to get away from being controlled by the Hood and wasn’t the super villain that he’s been made out to be (my daughter now feels really sorry for him) was an interesting idea. Whether this was the plan for the character from the start, or whether it was a change of thought is an interesting question – this latter half of the series has seen more of the focus on the type of “traditional rescues” that were mentioned in the closing scenes, perhaps the writing team have decided that we really don’t need some sort of “super threat” like Mechanic taking up too much of the story arc.

There is however still the question still of who the mechanic actually is – I’m wondering if the idea of him being some sort of AI/android created by the Hood that was speculated about when the character was revealed might be correct – and he’s been trying to break away from the Hood all along (there is potential for him to be based on some sort of modified copy of EOS that was made when “she” was still “out in the wild”).

Perhaps the whole thing doesn’t stand up to that much analysis – it’s just an enjoyable way to end the series, leave the Hood at large and perhaps move on the “real rescues” that were hinted at in the closing scenes.

Overall I’d say this second part of Series 2 has seen the whole approach settle down and mature a lot – we’ve seen a whole sequence of really solid episodes and a falling away of the repetitive annoying “guest” characters like Ned Tedford.

I’d hope that perhaps we won’t have to wait until next autumn for the next series, but I suspect that is going to be the case.
Old 16th December 2017, 10:45 AM

I thought it was good.

Quite liked the twist with The Mechanic not being a bad guy after all, but upon looking back over all of Season 2 & what the Hood said at the end of Season 1, it all makes sense. Can't help but wonder if The Mechanic is Kyrano in some way, but that's just me.

Must admit, I was getting a little frustrated at there being no sign of Virgil until he appeard with TB2 & Alan. Nice reference to The Univited with TB1 at the start. Shame we never got to see TB3. It would've been cool to see it going up against The Sentinal.

Season 3 is due to begin in Spring according to the Offical Facebook & Twitter accounts.

Overall I'd say this half of Season 2 has been pretty solid. Hope they keep it up. It's been a great run.
Old 16th December 2017, 02:03 PM

What an absolutely horrible episode. I can't think of a better way to describe it. The 'pass the Hood' game would have resulted in his death after the first pass or two. No reveal of the who the Mechanic is, no hint of Jeff Tracy, and the Hood immediately escapes and has new evil villains to help him, which for the billionth time is NOT what Thunderbirds is about.
How can you have amazing episodes like Grandma Tourismo and Hyperspeed and then this....pap! Ugh, probably the least satisfying season finale of anything ever.
War Of Nerves: A Sci-Fi Short Film

Thunderbirds Are Go! - Comin' To The Rescue
Old 16th December 2017, 06:56 PM
Skybase Engineer

As a standard episode, I'd have called it an enjoyable romp. But given it's importance - Project Sentinel being complete, the revelations about The Mechanic, and, you know, it being the series finale, it was definitely rather disappointing.

It wasn't a badly made episode by any means, but context is everything and damn did it feel out of place. Series 1's finale felt appropriately epic and hit the right tone, serving as a culmination of the little story arc they had going over the last few episodes.

By comparison, this episode paid off more like an obligation than anything else; almost like the writers ran out of steam and/or time and just wrapped everything up without actually wrapping anything up.

Sure you can compare the new information on The Mechanic to the Tracys learning about Kayo's relation to The Hood, but in this case it doesn't actually go anywhere - we still don't learn who The Mechanic is, how long The Hood has had this control over him, or really anything of any interest of relevance.

There's been theories and hints that there's a connection between Brains and the Mechanic, and with this episode's title and synopsis I was so sure we'd finally get a pay-off, but nope.

A real shame, because as others have said, the recent run of episodes have had such a consistently high level of quality, leading us to expect an equally high-quality finale.

Again, as an episode? Not bad. As a series finale? Definitely way below par.
Old 7th January 2018, 08:00 PM
DT019 Pilot

When I wrote the review for “Legacy” at the end of Season 1, I noted that the closing episode of the season is a critical one. It is often the one that lingers in the audiences mind. Well considering what The Mechanic was supposed to represent as the serious new Big Bad at the beginning of Season 2, my reaction to this episode can be summed up in just six words. “Just what the Hell was that?!”

A string of disappointments from beginning to end. Project Sentinel is another James Bond style “Satellite Of Doom,” and it has no subtlety or originality to it whatsoever. An anticlimax like no other too. There is no motivation behind why The Mechanic went to so much trouble to get it made, and the one tentative link to “Power Play” – the Power Cells, is dismissed out of hand because its now solar powered. We are led to believe it is The Mechanic's way of getting rid of The Hood once and for all, but considering The Mechanic has done more damage in his appearances than The Hood has over the course of TAG (and most of The Original Series to boot) it feels an overblown extreme.

This is made all the worse by the fact that IR's way of protecting the The Hood and without second guessing him, is a sadistic game of Pass The Parcel. Yes it's funny, but for all the wrong reasons.
The main characters are given some good one liners... “Goodbye Uncle!” which neatly underlines that Kayo has no divided loyalties, but we knew that already. Also “'Flippin Strewth!' - 'Parker! Language!'” which is Parker and Lady P to a tee. However, the sequence is so out of context of who and what IR are all about. Its meaningless padding and shamelessly blatant as such. Such a fall from grace compared to “Legacy,” where Scott, Virgil and John use Thunderbirds 1.2, 2.2 and 5.2 to tear apart The Flying Fortress moments after they learn how Kayo is literally related to The Hood, and cite they have to take a stand against him.

I did fear this might be case since the odd writing in “Escape Proof”– this episode makes clear The Mechanic IS a stop gap villain. Not created to be a bad guy in his own right, he has been used as filler to tell non-Hood baddie stories any old how. With no practical end game or plot structure involved. All the hints, nods and supposition as to who he is or may be, why he can do what he achieves and the rationale of what he is supposed to be about has been thrown away with no rime or reason, right down to no clarity at all on how Brains was able to get through to him, or the significance of his promise to help him.
This is what happens when writers don't talk to each other and make things up as they go along.

No one expects Thunderbirds to be written with the long term planning and complex story arcs of say, Babylon 5 or The X Files. Perhaps Dr Who would be an acceptable template. We can all read into the visual aspects of scenes and the intonation in the actors dialogue, but this is a season finale. Considering how often The Mechanic appeared over the season and what he did..., -
  • Thwarted the GDF repeatedly.
  • Invented the Holograph cloak tech.
  • Implemented several dangerous high tech vehicles.
  • Has an army of AI Mecha robots.
  • Stole the TV21, captured the Iridum Vault, and executed a jail break from the Unbreachable Parkmoor Scrubs.

Most critically though, he...
  • Hacked IR's security several times.
  • Crippled Thunderbird 1.2 and Thunderbird 2.2,
  • Badly damaged Thunderbird 3.2,
  • Actually destroyed Thunderbird 4.2!

There should be a sense of progress if not closure here! Instead this storyline has been put on a shelf and in a very clumsy, thoughtless, blatant way. The Hood has been ham fistedly re-established as the supposed big bad for no good reason. The fact the two associates he escapes with in the final scene could well be the new TAG versions of Trasnom and Mullion from TB2004 do not inspire any justification for this huge dropping the ball either.

Op top of all of this though - we are STILL left with all the unanswered questions from Season 1 as well! There is no way to know if this episode was written before or after season 3 was given the green light. It has all the feel of a story thrown together, maybe because season 3 will give room to tidy things up. There is no sense of conclusion, no sense of progress and no satisfaction that anything has been achieved. Instead, it simply means everything to do with The Mechanic has been nothing more than a colossal waste of everyone's time. - That is contemptible. The Writers should be ashamed to have their names on this amateur hour mess!!

A Plus Point?:
The Opening Shot of Thunderbird 5.2 with The Sentinel in the foreground.

Iffy Elements:
The Sentinel is a massive satellite weapon cliché. To no end.
Mrs Tracy's exposition heavy “We have to help The Hood” dialogue.
IR Style, (allegedly) Pass The Parcel.
Thunderbird 1.2 takes laser damage, but can still operate as normal?

Iffy to Excruciating Elements:
Alan stupidly suggesting Thunderbird 3.2 could take on The Sentinel. - Totally out of character.
The Pass The Parcel seems to cover a vast area is a very short timeframe.
The throwing away of The Mechanic as a serious baddie.
The “baddie” subplot of Season 2 has no clarity, no reason, no payoff.
The Hood allegedly re-established as THE Big Bad. So poor, its almost funny.

Possible TOS Reference:
The doors in the underground complex remind me of the Zombites Monotrain in “The Uninvited”

Undeniably Blatant References:
James Bond Films You Only Live Twice, Diamonds Are Forever, and by a long way, Die Another Day.

Continuity Good & Bad:
We finally see the previously mentioned Project Sentinel.
The IR Rescue Capsule is a “Standing room only” version of the escape pod seen back in “Fireflash.”

Thunderbird 5.2's Space Elevator capsule can operate independently. - No prior indication of this.
What happened to Thunderbird 5.2's previously seen pod vehicle?
The Mechanic says The Hood controls him. - How, and since when?!
This is the first time we have seen Colonel Casey since “Escape Proof” - Did the writers forget her?!

(Unanswered) Questions....
Who is the biker in the desert at the start of the story? Was she there for any reason?
Who IS The Mechanic?
What did The Mechanic want – if anything?
Why was The Hood controlling The Mechanic, and to what extent was that control?
If The mechanic wanted The Hood dead, why did he not kill him already? (He had opportunities)

STILL (Unanswered) Questions....

What actually DID happen to Jeff Tracy?
Was anyone actually responsible for what happened to Jeff Tracy?
Who was Jeff's wife / the boys Mother and what is, or was, her story?
If Lady P's Father is still viable, where is he and what is he doing?
This is Thunderbird 2, how can I assist?

Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 7th January 2018 at 10:30 PM.
Old 8th January 2018, 03:54 PM
Skybase Engineer

Having thought about the finale over the past month, and reading Thunderbird 2's brilliant review of it above, I can't help but wonder if there was some tangible behind the scenes reason for the episode turning out as it did.

There's been divisive episodes before, where some love it and others hate it, and some where the episode might not be fantastic but it's appreciated for what it was trying to do, but this is the first time I can recall an episode of TAG that seems to be pretty much universally considered a let-down.

And it's not just us on here - I keep an eye on the TAG tumblr fandom too and the reactions were pretty much the same.

It just feels like various plans and plot threads that were meant to lead somewhere else were just cut short because ?????
Old 8th January 2018, 04:25 PM
Mario Coletti

Originally Posted by OrbitalWings View Post
..... It just feels like various plans and plot threads that were meant to lead somewhere else were just cut short because ?????......
I'm tempted to ask if they have the same planning team as "The Last Jedi".........

As has been noted it's all a bit odd, and various theories could point to:

1) There never was a plan
2) The was plan and they decided part way in that it didn't work
3) There is a plan and the Mechanic will be back in Series 3 (any evidence of that from anything Chris Jarman has said?)
4) There was a plan but it conflicts with what they now want to do with Series 3 (which raises a question: Has there been any evidence that ITV are going to order a Series 4? - i.e 3 will be the last one and they need a different focus)

At least we don't need to wait too long this time to start to find out.

Last edited by FAB_61; 8th January 2018 at 04:30 PM.