Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Harlington Straker Studios > Every Wednesday

Notices

Old 21st November 2017, 09:04 PM
Mexican Bandit

Default S.I.G and Century 21

Hey folks,

I was wondering if someone could tell me a bit about the Century 21 magazine and if it was in any way connected with Supermarionation Is Go, since one seems to start shortly after the other stops.

I love my copies of S.I.G, and basically want to know if it's worth scouring ebay for Century 21's, and if they differ content-wise much?
Old 21st November 2017, 09:26 PM
Paradox Pilot

If you like SIG you'll love Century 21.
IIRC the start of the latter coincided with the end of the former because the publisher and some contributors wanted to move to a better quality magazine.
C21 could have been amazing but there's a fair bit of padding. Not least of which is the All Series Encyclopeadia which tries to tie all the shows and episodes together into one world and then goes way beyond the episodes into creating backgrounds for characters to a level that is too far for most people.
It was an expansion of the All Series Guide in which IMO covered the ground as deeply as necessary.
I think its because of this padding that back issues don't fetch very much at all. It shouldn't cost you a lot to get a complete set. There is much to enjoy in each issue but it's the OTT elements which spoil it and to your benefit devalue it.
However, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend you pick them up.

I got SIG and C21 as they came out as new publications so there is the added element of nostalgia but I still think to the modern eye new to them you'll be glad you got them.
Old 22nd November 2017, 12:41 PM
DT019 Pilot

For some reason, despite the fact that it was basically typed and cut and paste with Letraset for the headlines and titles... I always loved S.I.G. and much preferred it to Century 21. Physically the quality of C21 was better, but I could just never quite get into it in the way that I had its illustrious predecessor.

It's impossible now to give any real reasons for this, since I only have three copies of S.I.G. and maybe two of C21 - but I tend to think that it may well have been simply that the quality of writing in the former was better. That's not to say that C21 was without merit, far from it, but I have, as they say, very fond memories of S.I.G. and none really of C21. There may, of course, be many reasons for this, above and beyond the question of the magazines' quality. There was a certain 'innocence' about S.I.G. which seemed to suit the times in which it was produced - it was a true pioneer at a time when Anderson fandom was only just really starting to get going.

I believe that C21 lasted for 15 issues - although I cannot find a copy of 15 anywhere. Dave Nightingale was one of the 'originals', who produced the magazine due to his deep and genuine love for Gerry Anderson's work. I had a couple of things published in S.I.G., but by the time C21 came along, I had moved on to other things - which may help to explain why it didn't mean so much to me.

Nowadays we have FAB and Andersonic... but 'Supermarionation is GO' will never be forgotten. Cheers Dave.
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:41 AM
Moid

I have complete sets of each. The last C21 was issue 14.

Keith
Old 23rd November 2017, 03:59 AM
Alien

Location: Australia - never been anywhere else...and barely seen much of Oz come to think of it.

Century 21 - Issue 15
Special Captain Scarlet Edition.

I have them all too and this was the hardest one to find.
Attached Thumbnails
century21mag15.JPG  
Old 23rd November 2017, 08:08 AM
DT019 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keryn View Post
Century 21 - Issue 15
Special Captain Scarlet Edition.

I have them all too and this was the hardest one to find.
Thanks. Copies of number 15 do seem to be a rare as hens teeth, I only knew it existed because Dave sent me a jpeg image of it.

I wouldn't mind getting a copy, but as it never seems to appear on ebay, I think the chances are remote. But I'll keep on looking...
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:06 PM
Moid

Sorry you are right enough. Just checked my collection and it had got out of order. Must have replaced it in the wrong order (next to issue 3) after using it for reference purposes for building a CS model.

I was on subscription so I knew I had them all.

Keith