Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Runway 29

Notices

Old 31st May 2017, 06:36 PM
R.A.T.

For a long time I thought it was 'Dom Casual' but on closer inspection it's not a perfect match - the capital 'S' doesn't match for a start.
That's the best I can do. Maybe it was amended, as the Albertus font was altered slightly for 'The Prisoner'.
Old 1st June 2017, 06:50 AM
Too Tall Tim Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGRetro View Post
Here are 26 letters from the Stingray font, which I cut from the episode credits sequences by brightening the images up to remove the lilac backgrounds.

The "Q" was taken from the on-screen title for "Aquanaut of the Year".

Now, I know there are some lower case letters available in the end credits, an "n" and an "r" for most (Richard Best Jnr.), but for episodes written by Gerry and Sylvia, we also get "a" and "d". The Barry Gray music books seen in the soundtrack CDs spell his name in lower-case and uses this font too. The additional lower-case letters we get there are "b", "g" and "y".

But hopefully this image will help give an idea on what the font looks like, and maybe then someone here will know of a match. So far, I've been told Arab Brushstroke, Amber and Handy Casual are the ones, and some have even suggested "Simpson" and "Impress", but I have NO matches there.

I'm really keen to get hold of this font. Does ANYONE know what it is?

It's important to remember that this was before the days of digital fonts - the AP Films team were limited to Letraset transfers. Perhaps try browsing through some old Letraset catalogues?

Admin on the Thunderbirds Wiki.
Old 1st June 2017, 03:58 PM
Skybase Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyus24 View Post
It's important to remember that this was before the days of digital fonts - the AP Films team were limited to Letraset transfers. Perhaps try browsing through some old Letraset catalogues?
Thanks. That certainly gives me a goal, but it still remains frustrating that, of all the fonts used in the Supermarionation shows, Stingray's seems to the only one missing.
Old 2nd June 2017, 05:53 AM
Too Tall Tim Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGRetro View Post
Thanks. That certainly gives me a goal, but it still remains frustrating that, of all the fonts used in the Supermarionation shows, Stingray's seems to the only one missing.
It drives me mad, too. I've always thought it was Arab Brushstroke though...

Admin on the Thunderbirds Wiki.
Old 2nd June 2017, 08:53 AM
Skybase Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyus24 View Post
It drives me mad, too. I've always thought it was Arab Brushstroke though...
It's definitely the closest resembling one. Having autism, I tend to be rather picky with the details, though, and whenever I see a font I believe is the one, I then find out that something doesn't match, like the little bump above the S's and O's.

I believe the episode Tom Thumb Tempest has a different font altogether, as it doesn't match these ones at all.
Old 19th August 2017, 09:52 PM
Skybase Engineer

I just noticed in some of my Fanderson CDs that Barry Gray used the typeface I'm looking for as his letterhead. The lowercase "A" and "R" match those from the show's end credits sequences.

Even so, I still can't identify it. I can't find any letraset catalogues that log it, but it's possible it's a filmotype typeface that Gerry and Sylvia brought back with them from America... why they would, I don't know, and I doubt they did, but there IS a Filmotype font called 'Filmotype Wasp', but I can't find any copies of the typeface online.

The name alone makes me wonder if they used it, but it's unlikely as no other typeface on the Supermarionation shows used typefaces named after the shows they did.

Maybe the typeface is lost to time or something; why else would Stingray be the ONLY show it appeared in, and why else would ITV and everyone else just use the typeface from the series title, 'Absolutely Fabulous', instead?

It's a shame, as all the other typefaces can be identified, so it just bugs me as Stingray seems to be the ONLY one unaccounted for.