Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Ebay The Unexpected

Notices

Old 1st January 2016, 03:23 PM
Griselda

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
Some years later Polygram then purchased ITC outright so they now owned completely the content they had spent years licencing from ITC - so with Polygram having the rights to the individual episodes aswell as the SST episodes there was no reason for the individual episodes to be blocked any longer which resulted in those becoming available on VHS a year or two ( or perhaps more) before the 20 years was up.
The only pre-Carlton release on VHS of the episodes covered by the Super Space Theatre compilations I'm aware of is the UFO ones, which Polygram must have licensed to "Digital Entertainment" very shortly before Carlton acquired ITC. Were there others?
Old 1st January 2016, 09:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPS View Post
The only pre-Carlton release on VHS of the episodes covered by the Super Space Theatre compilations I'm aware of is the UFO ones, which Polygram must have licensed to "Digital Entertainment" very shortly before Carlton acquired ITC. Were there others?
I couldn't say. I only recall UFO because it would have been something I was following.
IIRC Digital Entertainment didn't release any other Anderson shows but at the time I would say being able to complete UFO would have been a popular buying choice despite a complete run on Bravo around that time.
Old 3rd January 2016, 01:03 PM
Griselda

1998/9 would be when BBC2 were repeating UFO (then Space:1999).
Old 3rd January 2016, 10:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
1998/9 would be when BBC2 were repeating UFO (then Space:1999).
Both were on Bravo a year or two earlier and both had episodes edited on BBC2.
Most of the BBC2 ITC reruns were devalued by having episodes edited- even Joe 90 was cut for violence ( although he was on BBC1).
I think Randall & Hopkirk was the only live action series to totally escape the scissors
Old 3rd January 2016, 11:15 PM
Griselda

Quote:
Both were on Bravo a year or two earlier and both had episodes edited on BBC2.
Most of the BBC2 ITC reruns were devalued by having episodes edited- even Joe 90 was cut for violence ( although he was on BBC1).
I think Randall & Hopkirk was the only live action series to totally escape the scissors
Heh. Somebody uploaded off air recordings from the 90s showings to Dailymotion - no idea if they're still there, but I enjoyed watching a couple and reliving the grainy horrible transfer. I look back fondly because those showings (and recordings of them) were my first access to these series (child of the late 80s!).

Certainly have more affinity for them than the bloody Super Space Theatre compilations!!

Joe 90 in particular suffered as a result of the decision to hand it to the Childrens' dept. In turn, their decision to put in in the morning/birthdays slot alongside Playdays was weird. I remember watching with my Dad who was infuriated with the obvious edits.
Old 4th January 2016, 06:14 PM
Spacehawk

Joe 90 also suffered from a terrible new logo. This was allegedly due to the original Joe 90 logo looking to much like the logo for GI Joe!!!
Also the SST release of Thunderbirds in Outer Space has closing credits accompanied by a (bad) cover of Yellow Submarine.
The compilations of The Persuaders and The Champions (Legend of the Champions) were never part of the 80's ITC package. They were actually put together just after production of the said shows.

Last edited by Silent Bob; 4th January 2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 4th January 2016, 09:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Heh. Somebody uploaded off air recordings from the 90s showings to Dailymotion - no idea if they're still there, but I enjoyed watching a couple and reliving the grainy horrible transfer. I look back fondly because those showings (and recordings of them) were my first access to these series (child of the late 80s!).

Certainly have more affinity for them than the bloody Super Space Theatre compilations!!

Joe 90 in particular suffered as a result of the decision to hand it to the Childrens' dept. In turn, their decision to put in in the morning/birthdays slot alongside Playdays was weird. I remember watching with my Dad who was infuriated with the obvious edits.
Despite the edits to Joe 90 , collectors were fortunate that the 4 episodes that had been part of the SST compilations got screened uncut by BBC1 although they were all 16mm with the new logo unlike the other Anderson shows on BBC2 which were 35mm.

Bravo also aired Joe 90 around that time and while they all retained the original logo they did show a mixture of 16mm and 35mm, and Bravo did the same for Space 1999 although it did allow VHS collectors to see what we were missing out on. Most of the VHS releases were 16mm as were the Australian tv repeats I had taped for me so seeing 35mm on Bravo was quite an eye opener.
I then looked at the 35mm Laserdiscs but at the time a whole set was too expensive and there was still some episodes unreleased.

It was a real shame that the lovely 35mm copies BBC2 aired were spoilt by quite a few episodes edited for time and one edited for violence.
They also showed Bringers of Wonder as a single episode.

Last edited by phelings; 4th January 2016 at 09:56 PM.
Old 25th May 2016, 10:52 PM
Griselda

Quote:
Despite the edits to Joe 90 , collectors were fortunate that the 4 episodes that had been part of the SST compilations got screened uncut by BBC1 although they were all 16mm with the new logo unlike the other Anderson shows on BBC2 which were 35mm.

Bravo also aired Joe 90 around that time and while they all retained the original logo they did show a mixture of 16mm and 35mm, and Bravo did the same for Space 1999 although it did allow VHS collectors to see what we were missing out on. Most of the VHS releases were 16mm as were the Australian tv repeats I had taped for me so seeing 35mm on Bravo was quite an eye opener.
I then looked at the 35mm Laserdiscs but at the time a whole set was too expensive and there was still some episodes unreleased.

It was a real shame that the lovely 35mm copies BBC2 aired were spoilt by quite a few episodes edited for time and one edited for violence.
They also showed Bringers of Wonder as a single episode.
Which episode was edited for violence? I seem to recall the final episodes of UFO going out very late at night in the BBC2 run, presumably because of the drug use.

I'd also like to trudge up the suggestion of an album of all the various Home Video covers again. That would be fantastic.
Old 25th May 2016, 11:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Which episode was edited for violence? I seem to recall the final episodes of UFO going out very late at night in the BBC2 run, presumably because of the drug use.

I'd also like to trudge up the suggestion of an album of all the various Home Video covers again. That would be fantastic.
I couldn't specify which episodes of Joe 90 were edited for violence. All I know is that the move to saturday morning BBC1 prompted the move.

You're recalling the ITV repeats for UFO where the notorious half dozen episodes all got aired in late night slots for repeats even in the 80's.

It was very surprising when BBC2 aired them all in daytime slots.Initially 6pm . IIRC The Long Sleep was shown on a weekend afternoon.
I don't know if the famous 6 were edited though. I gave up after they screened A Question of Priorities and removed the fake strangulation that Strakers son was watching at the studio.
And in Confetti Check I was surprised they edited the word "bloody" from Marys line "Break the bloody rules".

Last edited by phelings; 25th May 2016 at 11:25 PM.