Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > FAB Magazine

Notices

Old 25th April 2012, 12:34 PM
Mexican Bandit

Default Any issue of FAB cover this?

My first post.

I have been a member of Fanderson in the past,but not for a few years.
Hopefully this does not reflect on my enthusiasm for Gerry Anderson's shows.Although my interest really only extends from Supercar to UFO.

I wonder does anyone know of any issuess of FAB that goes into detail about the problems regarding setup,lighting,filming and special effects involved on the miniature effects sequences in UFO.

Now I have Derek Meddings 21st Century Visions,Mike Trim's and Alan Shubrook's books.
But neither of them go into any technical detail about creating any of the effects.

For example.Derek mentions how filming the UFO saucers was very difficult,but nowhere can I find how they overcame these problems,the problems they encountered,how the problems were solved.How they managed to fly three objects at once,and keep everything perfectly stable.

Similarly how do they light night time miniature effects sequences for shows such as UFO.

Personally I don't feel that a really in depth book has covered this.I think Alan Shubrook,Mike Trim Ian Wingrove et al perhaps might have covered this by now.As they haven't I thought perhaps an issue of FAB may have,as this would seem the ideal place to discuss it in a series of articles.

Am I perhaps expecting too much?

Glad to be on the forum.

For info I am also a member of Eagletransporter's Forum and the Archive forum over on Mausoleum Club,where I disuss UFO (being an absolute nut on the series) when the opportunity presents.
Old 26th April 2012, 04:28 AM
R.A.T.

There was a 3 part 'Making of UFO' feature, and the latest issue of FAB has a full interview with Derek Meddings that was edited for use elsewhere, doesn't it?

I think there was another 2 part interview with Derek Meddings in the old 'SIG' magazine but I'm not sure this would have gone into explicit technical detail.

I thought there were a few magazines, possibly American, which looked more into effects and the technical side, and I'm wondering if Derek Meddings was ever interviewed by any of them? Starlog did several guidebook volumes on effects and I'm sure one featured the Anderson series but again I'm uncertain how detailed or technical the coverage was.
Old 26th April 2012, 12:31 PM
Mexican Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technodelic View Post
There was a 3 part 'Making of UFO' feature, and the latest issue of FAB has a full interview with Derek Meddings that was edited for use elsewhere, doesn't it?

I think there was another 2 part interview with Derek Meddings in the old 'SIG' magazine but I'm not sure this would have gone into explicit technical detail.

I thought there were a few magazines, possibly American, which looked more into effects and the technical side, and I'm wondering if Derek Meddings was ever interviewed by any of them? Starlog did several guidebook volumes on effects and I'm sure one featured the Anderson series but again I'm uncertain how detailed or technical the coverage was.
Thanks for the response Techno.

I think I pretty much have everything there is available at present which is why I asked the question really,although I am not familiar with the FAB issues you refer to.

I also mentioned it as a potential possible feature,as many of the people are available to interview.Having said that I am mindful of the sad loss of Peter Wragg.
Old 27th April 2012, 06:08 AM
R.A.T.

Have you tried 'The Complete Book of UFO'?
Old 28th April 2012, 10:46 AM
Mexican Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technodelic View Post
Have you tried 'The Complete Book of UFO'?
Yes,unfortunately not much in Mr Bentley's book on the Slough side of things.