Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Harlington Straker Studios > Exposed

Notices

Old 20th April 2011, 10:54 AM
Spacehawk

Default Dragons Domain - Space:1999

Sat down to watch this episode last night - not seen it for many years - it was like drinking a bottle of my favourite beer - brilliant.

What a great story and I normally hate flashbacks - liked how we got to see the cast in different settings back on earth and before the moon left earths orbit. Loverly music and great models - what a show!

Got to be one of the best Space:1999 stories.
Old 20th April 2011, 12:08 PM
Spacehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Eaton View Post
Sat down to watch this episode last night - not seen it for many years - it was like drinking a bottle of my favourite beer - brilliant.

What a great story and I normally hate flashbacks - liked how we got to see the cast in different settings back on earth and before the moon left earths orbit. Loverly music and great models - what a show!

Got to be one of the best Space:1999 stories.
I'll be totally honest and say that on my first (and thus far only) viewing of Dragon's Domain, I wasn't overly impressed. I expect a lot of backlash for this comment, but it really didn't wow me. I loved most of the series, and was really looking forward to Dragons Den since I'd heard nothing but good things about it. Then when it was over, I just sat there thinking "Oh, was that it?". I did enjoy seeing what appeared to be a copy or reuse of M's office set from the Bond films in the episode though.

Super Charged Stingray - Pilot Episode
http://youtu.be/STMQZbyM72c

Last edited by Hiram K Hackenbacker; 21st April 2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 21st April 2011, 02:48 PM
Spacehawk

Thumbs up

I always liked this episode and what it was trying to aspire to. In the original script it was going to be Alan Carter(not a new character Tony Cellini) that was the pilot of the Ultra Probe Mission. However, it was changed to Tony Cellini and Alan Carter was supposed to kill the alien at the end not Koenig. However, Martin Landau had that scene changed to his Koenig character being the hero. Nick Tate(Alan Carter)has discussed this.

"DRAGON'S DOMAIN" must have inspired the movies ALIEN(1979) and ALIENS(1986), but just substituted Lt. Ripley for Tony Cellini?

"DRAGON'S DOMAIN" After escaping the Ultra Probe(creature onboard[after docking to the mentioned dragon ship]), sole survivor Cellini survives in Ultra Probe Command Module until he is recovered in his small craft, but nobody believes him about the creature or the fate of the crew. Cellini returns to Ultra Probe to confront the creature and prove it existed.

ALIEN(1979) After destructing the Nostromo, sole survivor Ripley(and cat) survives in Narcissus Shuttle until she is recovered in her small craft, but nobody believes her about the alien or the fate of the crew. Ripley returns(with the USCM) to confront the alien(aliens on original movie planet the Nostromo landed on) and prove it existed in ALIENS(1986).
Old 25th April 2011, 07:00 AM
R.A.T.

My favourite Space: 1999 episode, scared the heck out of me.
Old 25th April 2011, 10:56 PM
Commissioner Simmonds

I saw this episode for the first time recently, and agree with Derek it's certainly a great show. Possibly the best I've seen. In fact, having never really seen Space: 1999 before, I'm surprised by how many great episodes there are.
Old 26th April 2012, 03:28 AM
Lab Monkey

Another interesting tie to "Alien"; On one of the American "Alien" dvds there is a reel of FX test footage. One of the models used in some shots is the blue, four docking tubed "Dragon's" ship to which the Ultra Probe was docked ! I can't remember whether it was the first DVD release of "Alien", the second release with the additional alternate edit of the film, or "The Alien Saga" documentary DVD which had this test footage as a bonus feature.

Last edited by Dep1701; 26th April 2012 at 03:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 26th April 2012, 04:20 AM
R.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dep1701 View Post
Another interesting tie to "Alien"; On one of the American "Alien" dvds there is a reel of FX test footage. One of the models used in some shots is the blue, four docking tubed "Dragon's" ship to which the Ultra Probe was docked ! I can't remember whether it was the first DVD release of "Alien", the second release with the additional alternate edit of the film, or "The Alien Saga" documentary DVD which had this test footage as a bonus feature.
Wasn't that because Brian Johnson did the effects for the film?