Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > Harlington Straker Studios

Notices

Old 28th February 2012, 05:48 PM
Main Mission Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by air terrainean View Post
Well, as the designer of Skyship One, he must have done !

As for TB2, I have been told that British Aerospace thought it was a perfectly airworthy design if enough power could be supplied to launch it.
TB2 is a lifting body with forward-swept winglets. The only iffy bits are the subsonic air intakes on the fuselage sides and that ginormous draggy (? engine) pod on the rear spoiler.

If you give something enough engine thrust it will fly. Just look at the F117!

TB1 has a reverse-curve hypersonic nose section. Again, the engine pods are a bit draggy, but the variable-geometry low-speed wings are spot on. My only real criticism is that it's usually shown in horizontal flight. Rather, it should have a ballistic flight profile (up, sub-urbital then down again) like a V2 rather than an F15. That gets you from frome one point on the globe to any other point in 45 minutes.

Thunderbirds was made in the mid-'60s as an early evening action-advbenture series, for frak's sake, but there's more real technology in it than anything else on the box at the time (and for a good deal after).

"Thunderbirds Are Thinking About It".

Zero-X, though. Now that was a bummer of a design...
Old 29th February 2012, 10:19 AM
Spacehawk

Thanks for that SFG - I see from your profile you've worked in the aerospace industry, so you clearly have some expertise in the area. I may pm you for some advice on a project I'm currently working on.
Old 11th March 2012, 05:27 PM
Main Mission Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by air terrainean View Post
Thanks for that SFG - I see from your profile you've worked in the aerospace industry, so you clearly have some expertise in the area. I may pm you for some advice on a project I'm currently working on.
I enjoy almost all SF by seeing why most futuristic hardware wouldn't work as advertised (there's usually not enough room to put fuel, for example) or scriptwriters simply ignoring distances, gravity and inertia effects and relative speeds.

Doesn't stop me watching it, of course, because occasionally good ideas do crop up.

A couple of favourite examples: The space suits in Destination Moon. The suits themselves were a silver-grey colour, but there were oversuits - referred to as anti-chafing suits - that anticipated the multi-layering of the Apollo Lunar suits. They were also in different colours so that the crew could tell who was who. From Apollo 14 onward, the commander's suits had red ID stripes to differentiate them from the other astronaut.

And only fairly recently I saw a real-lfe version of the car parking facility that put cars onto pallettes and used a giant fork-lift to post the cars into a racking system, like the Thunderbirds gadget ("Move and Your Dead" IIRC).