Go Back   Fanderson Forum > Public Forum > The Bringers of Wonder

Notices

Old 7th October 2011, 11:58 PM
Griselda

Send a message via Skype™ to Bladez636
Default Sounds snatched from "Space: 1999" used in "Star Fleet"

I started taking notice of this fact a bit ago. It seems that the non-Japanese oriented sound effects in "Star Fleet"'s English dub were taken straight from episodes of "Space: 1999". This is really shocking and I must be the first person to have taken note of this. It's really ironic considering the Anderson inspiration behind "Star Fleet"

Here's my evidence

"An Attack Beyond Tears" - The explosion sounds for the Volcano eruption were taken straight off the "Space: 1999" episode: "The Metamorph" from Season 2. During these explosions you can even still hear the Eagle taking off.

"A New Beginning for the Galaxy" - The metallic clashing sounds heard when the Skull crewmember next to Lamia gets blown up is from the episode "Space Warp" when a mutated Maya tries to launch an Eagle and it ends up flipping it over. There are the same explosions in the same place, and not to mention the last explosion was cut in "Star Fleet" because in "Space: 1999", music started there.

Anyone whose watched "Star Fleet" take notice of the similarities here?

I myself want to find that Jet diving sound from the first episode of "Star Fleet" after X-Bomber is shot down. Anyone know if it's ever been heard in "Space: 1999". Can only find a fraction of this sound in the clear in "Star Fleet".

"If We Get Out Of This Lieutenant, I'll Buy You All The Coconuts You Can Eat!"
Old 8th October 2011, 07:26 AM
Spacehawk

Location: That place... with the stuff... where that thing is...
Send a message via MSN to Chrisof

I noticed that nearly all the control panel fx and some of the explosions where brought over. Same thing happens in Thunderbirds 2086, id presume the English version didn't have the full SFX track or decided to augment it themselves.

Got quite a surprise while watching "The X from outer Space" The space craft in it sounds just like TB2.

My deviantART - http://chrisofedf.deviantart.com/

http://chris-thompson.darkfolio.com/

Nothing could possibly go wrong ...
Old 8th October 2011, 07:50 AM
Griselda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisof View Post
I noticed that nearly all the control panel fx and some of the explosions where brought over. Same thing happens in Thunderbirds 2086, id presume the English version didn't have the full SFX track or decided to augment it themselves.

Got quite a surprise while watching "The X from outer Space" The space craft in it sounds just like TB2.
Yeah, but as for TB2086 that ones not terribly surprising since the series was edited like it was a "Thunderbirds" spin-off in English. Those explosions really aren't unique to "Space: 1999", I've heard them in "Star Maidens" and "TUGS" as well. Although "Star Maidens" may have done the same. I started figuring the explosions in the series were pre edited at some point since they're almost always in the same order.

Old 8th October 2011, 09:35 AM
Dr. Cedric Agon

I noticed the 1999 sound effects in Star Fleet and (I think) Star Maidens, I assumed they were taken from a sound effects library - don't know if anyone can confirm this?
Old 19th August 2013, 11:33 PM
Griselda

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDexter View Post
I noticed the 1999 sound effects in Star Fleet and (I think) Star Maidens, I assumed they were taken from a sound effects library - don't know if anyone can confirm this?
According to Chris Bentley's overview that he wrote for Paul Bliss' soundtrack for "Star Fleet", it confirms that the sounds were taken from vocal-less (possibly musicless) library dubbing tracks for "Space: 1999". He evidently had this information somehow. His overview can be seen here: http://starfleetsoundtrack.com/sfxb-show-overview.html

I'm also assuming that the other sound effects were from some other series sound tracks because the show is full of sounds not heard in "Space: 1999". Though some are heard in Anderson's "Space Police" - as a matter of fact I feel inclined to believe Tony Lenny had something to do on the sound editing given that many sounds are the same (some still even snatched from "Space: 1999")

Old 20th August 2013, 09:35 PM
General Strond

If you go to the same sound company, and ask the same people to give you 'futuristic space sounds' then its not too surprising that they use the same recordings with a few new twists to make it a bit different. The very same sound effects appear in many productions, like the German half-track at the begining of the film 'The Battle of Britain' having the very same sound effect as the Mobiles from 'UFO'.
'Star Maidens' benefited from the sound library work done on the first series of 'Space 1999', then the second series of 'Space' benefitted from the extra sound work done on 'Star maidens'.
'Star Fleet' probably didn't have a big budget for the all new soundtrack recordings so a few corners were probably cut, hence the longer sections used.