PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

ChamCham
31st August 2010, 09:18 AM
Hi, just joined after a bit of a lurk, love UFO and Thunderbirds and I have a sneaking love for Captain Scarlet even though it really is a very dark story.

UFO in particular is great entertainment, and it always disappoints me when people can't get past its 1969ishness to see the amazing stories. :)

Chrisof
31st August 2010, 09:29 AM
Hi welcome to the forum :).

There all are really good shows. I particularly love Thunderbirds.

ChamCham
31st August 2010, 09:43 AM
The sheer imagination- and how often its predictions for the future came true, some in subtle ways- has always amazed me about Gerry Anderson's creations. Really clever, far beyond anything else I have encountered, even Star Trek. And Star Trek had RAND Corp feeding it predictive programming whereas the Anderson worlds seem to have just been sheer exercises in exuberance (on a budget) :)

TonyB
31st August 2010, 12:16 PM
Hello ChamCham and welcome to the forum.

The series of Gerry Anderson never seem to age and they are as fresh now as when they were first transmitted, not many series can say that, and long may it continue.

Picasso61
31st August 2010, 02:46 PM
Hi ChamCham and welcome to the forum. All great shows you mentioned there - my favourite amongst them is Captain Scarlet and The Mysterons as you can tell by my avatar and signature!:p

Steve Gerard
31st August 2010, 02:52 PM
Hi, just joined after a bit of a lurk, love UFO and Thunderbirds and I have a sneaking love for Captain Scarlet even though it really is a very dark story.

UFO in particular is great entertainment, and it always disappoints me when people can't get past its 1969ishness to see the amazing stories. :)

Welcome ChamCham to the FF, you are among friends here. Gerry Anderson's series are like a fine wine and continue to get better with age. I agree with your opinion of UFO, the 1969ishness adds to the cool charm of the series. You might want to watch Space:1999, it is another gem in Gerry Anderson's career.

lightcudder
31st August 2010, 03:11 PM
hi ChamCham.. you might enjoy looking on these sites if you love UFO ( oh, and mine as well?) The Nessierie one links to loads of UFO sites including the new Shado forum for writers

http://ufoseries.com/
http://shadolibrary.org
http://www.wix.com/Neesierie/UFO-Forever
Louise!

john61
31st August 2010, 06:12 PM
CLEAR OFF! You're not wanted here. Only joking. Welcome welcome welcome. You wont find a better forum on the net. Please stay with us, you'll love it, and we'll love having you as a contributer.

lightcudder
31st August 2010, 06:52 PM
John 61 ... me?
Surely Washington Square, not Rupert!

john61
31st August 2010, 07:20 PM
The Rupert Square thing wasn't me. My nephew got on my computer and personalised things on the forum a bit for me. I wondered why he put it on there, and have been racking my brains to figure out what it means. I thought Paul Foster when he first met Straker, he was told to go to some square or other, but couldn't remember what it was, but I really doubt my nephew would even know about that, let alone remember the name of the square, so it can't be that. therefore the mystery remains. When I ask my nephew to explain, he laughs and says "You'll remember." Sadly though, as yet I don't.

lightcudder
31st August 2010, 07:27 PM
Ah, but do you remember Washington Square?
Yes, Rupert Sq was where Foster was told Straker would meet him . ( Exposed)
Washington Sq was the code for complete shutdown of all lunar flights ( Conflict)
Sad eh?
(and I watched Responsibility Seat today while doing the ironing!)

john61
31st August 2010, 09:03 PM
I'm surprised. I never expected him to know a thing like that. Even I wasn't certain. I think I'll leave it there, it makes an amusing sign off signature. Not sure about the photo he chose for my profile though, not the same one as he chose for my posts. My profile photo is tiny, you can hardly make me out. I might change that.
I watched UFO at the beginning of the year as part of my mammoth six month 'Watch every Anderson DVD I've got' marathon that started last October and finished this April. It made my winter a little less dull than winters usually are, and it was the first time I've ever watched the lot in one continuous session, it was good to see everything in the order it was made, consistant high quality all the way in my opinion, and I welcomed a new fan to Gerrys universe to boot. My six year old great nephew, who is now a firm Anderson fan. See my old posts 'Anderson programmes and the youth of today' or something like that, for the full story. So I've done him a bit of a favour. I wasn't sure how much I'd enjoy UFO after ITV4 and it's constant repeats, but I found it as enjoyable as ever, so I had no need to worry. Along with everything else from Supercar onwards, I watched it twice. Once in B&W to recapture the way I first saw them, and again in HD colour. I didn't do this with anything from Space 1999 onwards because I've only ever seen them in colour, so it wasn't necessary.

ChamCham
31st August 2010, 10:15 PM
I thought Paul Foster when he first met Straker, he was told to go to some square or other, but couldn't remember what it was,

I think that's it- it's also a track on the album and fits the sequence from the Exposed episode. :)