PDA

View Full Version : Contacting Gerry Anderson?

Technodelic
1st March 2010, 06:26 AM
I gather Gerry Anderson is no longer based at Pinewood so wanted to know where I could address a snail mail query I have to him? If people 'in the know' don't want this (understandably) splashed on the forum, could someone PM me please?

I do have an email, and used it, but as I didn't receive a reply it may be this was linked to his Pinewood operation.

Also trying to trace Brian Johnson, who I believe may also be now retired.

Thanks in advance. :)

Chrisof
1st March 2010, 10:01 AM
Theres an ask Anderson section of the FAB magazine. :)
askanderson@fanderson.org.uk

Technodelic
2nd March 2010, 02:13 AM
Theres an ask Anderson section of the FAB magazine. :)
askanderson@fanderson.org.uk

With all due respect, I'd prefer to make the enquiries with a degree of privacy, as part of research for a few ongoing projects.

mrthunder
2nd March 2010, 11:32 PM
For more years than I care to remember I have been a recognised and published address for Gerry Anderson contact. If you send me your letter, plus a stamp to forward it on, I will ensure it gets sent to Gerry. What happens from that point forward is entirely out of my hands, though. I would just say I do have to read the letter beforehand as Gerry trusts me to filter out anything being sent by crackpots and scammers...if you know what I mean in the nicest possible way.

Send to Gerry Anderson c/o 332, Lytham Road, Blackpool, Lancashire, FY4 1DW

Steve Gerard
3rd March 2010, 06:43 PM
For more years than I care to remember I have been a recognised and published address for Gerry Anderson contact. If you send me your letter, plus a stamp to forward it on, I will ensure it gets sent to Gerry. What happens from that point forward is entirely out of my hands, though. I would just say I do have to read the letter beforehand as Gerry trusts me to filter out anything being sent by crackpots and scammers...if you know what I mean in the nicest possible way.

mrthunder good to know.:cool:

DanDud88
18th July 2010, 04:15 PM

Your not the Thunderbooks shop are you? Cos I live near that shop and I heard it was closing down cos they were losing customers to The Who shop in town.

Derek Eaton
18th July 2010, 05:02 PM
The Who shop - I thought this had closed? Certainly not where it was just down from the Winter Gardens?

lightcudder
18th July 2010, 05:24 PM
Hey! I intend visiting Thunderbooks soon.. I work in Bpool ! Glad to know there are other Fanderson members nearby!

roose1982
18th July 2010, 05:54 PM
Ahh good old Thunderbooks - absolutely fantastic shop. I remember visiting Thunderbooks 2 in Preston back in 1992 on boxing day armed with christmas money! I was 10 years old, and bought as many copies of SIG and Century 21 magazines that i could afford, then a few months later returning to buy Derek Meddings 21st Century Visions book and the last Thunderbirds volume on VHS (for some reason, id never seen the last 4 episodes of thunderbirds).

I live in Lincoln now, so will have to save up and make a special trip to Blackbool!

DanDud88
19th July 2010, 05:49 AM
The Who shop - I thought this had closed? Certainly not where it was just down from the Winter Gardens?

Its moved now to a bigger shop on Corronation Street accross from this new Debenhams store we have in Blackpool.

Derek Eaton
19th July 2010, 05:22 PM
Its moved now to a bigger shop on Corronation Street accross from this new Debenhams store we have in Blackpool.

Ah Corronation Street stayed in a guest house in that street many times in the 70s and 80s used to raid the newsagents for the American comics - Superman has lost his memory/super powers etc

I'd rather go and see Mr Thunder!

mrthunder
19th July 2010, 05:34 PM
For nearly 25 years I've often been amazed at how our 'fandom' seems awash with rumours ! Thunderbooks is still where it has been since 1987 with no plan to close. Last year, for personal reasons only, we might have relocated but this didn't come to pass.

It might be frustrating for some to know but WHO and Thunderbooks enjoy occasional and friendly contact with one another !

Achilles Messenger
19th July 2010, 06:45 PM
Thunderbooks is still where it has been since 1987 with no plan to close.

In that case I must take a trip there sometime as I've never been! Have bought a few SIG's and Century 21 Mags off you recently on eBay David and am hoping to complete my collection in the near future!

Richard

DanDud88
19th July 2010, 08:25 PM
It might be frustrating for some to know but WHO and Thunderbooks enjoy occasional and friendly contact with one another !

Realy I did not know that, I was on work placment there at the Who Shop in 2007 for a while it was ok but the staff changed alot in that few times I was working on work placement. It was ok but the staff kept changing 1 girl quit and they were looking for someone to replace her and we only worked together for a week (I barely spoke to her, so it wasn't my fault if that what you were thinking). Someone replaced her but they were stil looking for someone to replace somone else, so I went for an interview for a permenant place there cos some but I didn't get in they prefered some other guy who had stopped working there and wanted his old job back cos he knew more about the store than me. Made me wonder why they had so many staff changes.

DanDud88
19th July 2010, 08:33 PM
So ur telling me all this time iv lived in Blackpool and I could have contacted Gerry Anderson by sending him mail at the shop thats down the road from me. You ever thought about asking him to come down to Thunderbooks to sign Autographs in person? You proberly have and its proberly expensive and his proberly busy all the time.

mrthunder
19th July 2010, 08:52 PM
Firstly, my apologies for not already thanking those posters who made kind comments about our li'l ol' shop ! Much appreciated ! Gerry did the official opening of Thunderbooks in 1986 and then again when we opened the Preston shop two years later ! It scares me to death thinking just how long ago that was.

Blackpool is a long way from where Gerry lives and it's therefore logistically not as easy as it was. Plus we don't have a lot of room.

Save yourself a stamp, DanDud, and pop the envelope/stamp in at the counter ! I will sort it from there...

Sadly some SiGs/Century 21s are out of print but all the ones I have are on our own www.startrader.co.uk. I occasionally pick-up single copies of out of print ones...in fact just sold three or four last week.

jasonsmith
20th July 2010, 09:35 AM
Thunderbooks, Blackpool is a national institution that everyone should visit when in the North West.
As for Mr. Nightingale...well..he's just a National Treasure...(Dave...you can pay me for saying that later...)

Steve

Chrisof
20th July 2010, 09:57 AM
Could you tell me a bit more about the shop? Ive used Startrader before :)

roose1982
20th July 2010, 08:24 PM
Is the Thunderbooks shop still in Preston btw?

mrthunder
20th July 2010, 11:23 PM
Thunderbooks II became "That Comic Shop" some years ago when the guy who ran it for me took full control. It is just what it says on the tin nowadays, a comic shop !

lightcudder
21st July 2010, 06:47 AM
Yes. I was mightily miffed about that! Spent a fortune in Thunderbooks in Preston before it went...money well spent though! Need to get to Blackpool shop now!

DanDud88
21st July 2010, 01:00 PM
Need to get to Blackpool shop now!

Well if you need any more incorigement to come to Blackpool than with Blackpool now in the premireship you could always come for a weekend away to watch which ever Priemiership football team you support and stop by Thunderbooks.

Nova Quark
19th November 2010, 09:01 PM
Hi :) I know this topic hasn't been posted in for a few months, but I came on here, because I was interesting in contacting Gerry Anderson.

I read near the top of this topic that there's an email address for him. And one of you might be able to pass something on to him.

Some of you might remember that I posted in March to say that Virgil Tracy's writer was ill in hospital, well he's still there now, still very poorly. And I wanted to contact Gerry Anderson, to see if he would visit him.

So if any of you could please suggest the best way to contact him, that would be great, thanks :)

Simon Morris
20th November 2010, 12:16 PM
Well, if you see post #4 in this thread, David has offered to forward any mail. I believe Fanderson have also done this in the past. I don't think anyone who has Gerry's actual contact details would be willing to just pass them on to anyone who asks, and rightly so,

I can't find your previous post offhand, Nova - what do you mean by Virgil Tracy's writer? And I suppose it depends also whereabouts this person is in hospital too - England? Scotland? Outside the UK?

capt_ochre
20th November 2010, 11:29 PM
I think Nova is referring to Virgil Tracy, a poster on these boards who was hospitalized :(

Simon Morris
21st November 2010, 12:20 AM
I think Nova is referring to Virgil Tracy, a poster on these boards who was hospitalized :(

Ah. Well, I'm sorry to hear that, and hope that he makes a recovery.

However, I would very much doubt if that is the sort of request that Gerry Anderson would normally agree to.

Achilles Messenger
21st November 2010, 07:18 AM
Well if you don't ask, you don't get. Go for it Nova. Good luck, and wish Virgil the best from all of us!

Dunc1
21st November 2010, 09:56 PM
Gerry's a nice guy and if he cannot make a visit for any reason, I'm sure he would send greetings to the gentleman concerned.

Nova Quark
21st November 2010, 11:03 PM
Many thanks Simon, Captain Ochre, Achilles & Dunc for the information about contacting Gerry Anderson, and your good wishes to Virgil Tracy.

Yup, I can see the address, I'll get a letter posted off there.

I know that famous people sometimes visit very ill people in hospital. But I'm sure Virgil would be pleased with just a letter from Gerry Anderson. Yup Achilles, if I don't ask, I'll never know :p

I think he posted that he was on the hospital radio & won a quiz, for this prise he chose Fireball XL5 series. And for hours lying in bed, he tests us on the names of the Thunderbirds episodes (which we have to say in the correct order lol)

If you look down toward the bottom of the current page for Runway 29, you'll see a topic I started to let you all know Virgil Tracy was in hospital. Once he's better I'm sure he'll be back on here.

capt_ochre
22nd November 2010, 07:14 AM
Is Gerry generally good with replying to fan letters? Especially from Fanderson members?

Nova Quark
22nd November 2010, 09:05 AM
I have no Idea, but I thought it was worth a shot :)

Simon Morris
22nd November 2010, 10:32 AM
I have no Idea, but I thought it was worth a shot :)

Yes it is, because I am sure that if Gerry receives a letter (whether it is from a Fanderson member or not), he will reply to it. And I think a request for a morale boosting letter is really the way to go.

As regards actually visiting someone that he doesn't know...I would be very doubtful. Gerry may be a 'nice guy' as Duncan put it, but what's that got to do with it? When you agree to visit a stranger, there is the potential for all kinds of cans of worms - and it puts Gerry in an unenviable position of probably having to decline. After all, if you say yes to one request, how can you turn down any other afterwards? It's quite possible that anyone and everyone would be wanting a visit from Gerry!

Well - apart from me anyway:D

I hope Virgil Tracy is progressing well.

capt_ochre
23rd November 2010, 01:29 AM
Thanks for that Simon. If one asks for a signed photo, does he send one out? Don't really have the capabilities to print one off, at the moment.

Simon Morris
23rd November 2010, 11:41 AM
I really don't know. I suppose - as with any correspondence - a stamped, self addressed envelope would help. (Take note, Nova Quark incidentally).

Would Gerry even have a stock of photos of himself at home for signing purposes? I'm not sure that he would - he is 81 years old after all :)

Silent Bob
23rd November 2010, 02:32 PM
He was charging £20 a time for a signed photo at the last Collectormania i went to. I remember when he used to to it for free! :(

Technodelic
23rd November 2010, 02:47 PM
He was charging £20 a time for a signed photo at the last Collectormania i went to. I remember when he used to to it for free! :(

Depends on the venue, I would hazard a guess. If it was a Fanderson event, he may well not have charged. If it's a bigger venue that has to pay guests a fee (as well as cover their own costs) then you have that to consider, plus the cost of printing the photos, etc.

It all adds up.

:p

capt_ochre
24th November 2010, 12:23 AM
Ok so best bet is to send along a photo to get signed? I'm studying film for a career because of his works, so maybe he'd like to see a DVD I send...could be a good idea :)

Simon Morris
24th November 2010, 06:53 PM
Ok so best bet is to send along a photo to get signed? I'm studying film for a career because of his works, so maybe he'd like to see a DVD I send...could be a good idea :)

Hmm. We seem to have moved away from Nova's query, which was whether Gerry could be contacted to either see if he would visit someone in hospital, or perhaps write him a letter.

We now seem to have moved on to 'general' correspondence. I seem to recall reading that Gerry doesn't now look at 'submissions' - for sound legal reasons - and I suppose it could be said that sending him a DVD might be just that. On the other hand, it could equally be a flattering indication to Gerry of how he has influenced one particular person's education and career path.

As long as you don't send anything expecting him to make specific comments, or to ask him to make representations to prospective employers on your behalf (because he won't...), I don't suppose there's any harm in trying to send him a DVD.

Bear in mind he's 81 years old now and possibly less accustomed to all this stuff than he once was.

capt_ochre
24th November 2010, 09:55 PM
Yep it's pretty much just a fan film to show him, wasn't really expecting feedback or anything.

Many thanks for your help Simon, will let you know how it goes :)

Nova Quark
25th November 2010, 01:43 AM
Many thanks for all your help. I've already posted off the letter, & I didn't think to put a stamped address envelope for Gerry to send a correspondence back to Virgil Tracy. Just from the address to Gerry. Never mind, I guess he could always email me a letter to Virgil. Thanks again for all your help :)

mrthunder
25th November 2010, 10:30 PM
I remember when I was middle-manning correspondence to Gerry I started, about five or six years ago, to get letters enclosing multiple little pieces of card for Gerry to sign. Struck me these were chancers hoping to get multiple signatures which would eventually end up accompanying some sort of photograph in a nice frame and for sale in shops or online for £xxxx !

I always sent these on and don't know what Gerry did when he got them but one thing he ain't is stupid and I'm afraid this sort of 'greed' might well have tainted if not entirely queered the pitch for genuine requests from genuine fans...

capt_ochre
25th November 2010, 11:20 PM
Are you still middle man, Mr Thunder? Perhaps if I say I'm a Fanderson member (which I am) and that I've been dying to go to a con (which I have been) I can prove my genuine fandom :)

Simon Morris
25th November 2010, 11:37 PM
Are you still middle man, Mr Thunder? Perhaps if I say I'm a Fanderson member (which I am) and that I've been dying to go to a con (which I have been) I can prove my genuine fandom :)

Bwahahahaha! That old chestnut?

I bet that sort of flannel wouldn't fool Gerry for a second. A crisp £20 note might convince him though :D

capt_ochre
26th November 2010, 02:29 AM
My prospects aren't looking good, are they Simon? Of course if I ask for it personally autographed, I doubt anyone would want an autograph written to a James :p

Will get letter writing soon Mr Thunder, expect it soon :)

mrthunder
26th November 2010, 11:00 AM
Nova...

Got the letter this morning, the contents of which will remain between you and me, of course. I am sending it down to Gerry this afternoon. I have also emailed Mary in advance to ask her to look out for it and make sure it gets read and not sidelined or even, Gawd forbid, lumped in with the junk mail.

I hope everything goes OK, both with this and Virgil's recovery

Simon Morris
26th November 2010, 02:28 PM
My prospects aren't looking good, are they Simon? Of course if I ask for it personally autographed, I doubt anyone would want an autograph written to a James :p

Will get letter writing soon Mr Thunder, expect it soon :)

I was joking! ;)

I'm sure you'll be fine.

Nova Quark
28th November 2010, 12:30 AM
Nova...

Got the letter this morning, the contents of which will remain between you and me, of course. I am sending it down to Gerry this afternoon. I have also emailed Mary in advance to ask her to look out for it and make sure it gets read and not sidelined or even, Gawd forbid, lumped in with the junk mail.

I hope everything goes OK, both with this and Virgil's recovery

Many thanks Mr Thunder :) never written a letter like that before, so, hope it was ok.

I'm sure Virgil Tracy will post here once he's better, but I'll make sure he does. Let you all know he's ok.