PDA

View Full Version : Gerry Anderson Legacy (The Museum)

TommoHawker
20th April 2013, 04:18 PM
Hi all

I like many of you. been inspired by the works of Gerry Anderson, and i have collected many models and props from the man's legendary shows.

I have a plan, to give back something that was given to me over the years, good childhood memories, and to give the recognition that Gerry Anderson truly deserves.

A Gerry Anderson Legacy (Museum). I have located the original warehouse that was the studios at the time. and most say it is still has the original look, I plan to obtain these premises and recreate the studio as was, with all the puppets, props and anything else Gerry Anderson related.

So with some help from my friends, we can and will get this up and running.

Many Thanks Tommohawker

air terrainean
20th April 2013, 05:50 PM
Sounds like an exxcellent idea. But which studios do you mean ? The tyre fitters or the plastics factory ? And what does your collection of props and models consist of ? I imagine it must be pretty large to fill a warehouse.

TommoHawker
20th April 2013, 06:03 PM
Firstly copies of all the Thunderbird puppets characters, sourcing photograph, and many models. so if you know any one who has a similar collection, of other series Gerry Anderson related.

My collection wouldn't fill the warehouse, as we intend to recreate the studio as it was in the sixties, a working environment if you like.

well they both look the part, apart from the plastic company had new entrance fitted, Tyre company has the original features

mrthunder
20th April 2013, 09:10 PM
They're not all locked up, are they ?

Mark42
20th April 2013, 09:15 PM
Well hiring the old building and replicating the studio might be an interesting idea and something worth seeing... but the setting up cost would be pretty high, and then with monthly rent, business rates, running costs, insurance, and staffing hire to boot.
Just how many members of the public would actually turn up at an industrial estate each day to visit, would traffic be a problem on such a site, and how much would the tickets have to cost to make it all viable.

Also with the new Thunderbirds series in pre-production the ITC/ITV rights holders are getting very touchy about any sort of Thunderbirds type shows/events and are wanting payment for licences, or clearance to operate - you had better check with them to see how much you may have to pay them to run such a venture?

Also if you expect many fans to turn up they would probably only make the effort to travel there, and pay to get in, if some of the puppets/models on display were originals, together with reproductions of high quality. For example they probably would not want to see some ropey amateur made puppets or models that had been bought off ebay!

You should really have attached photographs 'of the many models and props you have collected' so that people on here could judge if what you are saying has any merit.

TommoHawker
20th April 2013, 10:36 PM
Hi mark.
Thanks for the feed back, everything you mentioned, are in place and have been accounted for. Contact re licensing are under way. This not about my collection,

As I was I was trained pro-type effects model maker, and my mentor being Eric Buckman one of the original model makers from the Anderson stable, my ropey model may just pass the test of time, but as I mentioned before it not about me but the legacy of Gerry and his team.

As to interest well who knows

TommoHawker
9th May 2013, 01:55 PM
just a quick update. In talks with Gerry Anderson Estate. and things are underway to make this Museum some to be hold..

if there are anyone with props puppets, that would like to be part of this please feel free to get in touch

mrthunder
27th May 2013, 12:31 PM
I'm sure a project of this enormity is safe in the hands of someone who can't even structure a grammatically correct sentence !

miger
27th May 2013, 05:36 PM
I'm sure a project of this enormity is safe in the hands of someone who can't even structure a grammatically correct sentence !

my very thoughts!

john61
27th May 2013, 06:09 PM
What exactly are you implying?

lightcudder
27th May 2013, 06:25 PM
I have found a couple of responses to this thread rather 'uncomfortable' to read. I thought we were all supposed to be fans of Gerry and were here to support anyone who wishes to promote his work. Perhaps I was wrong.

mrthunder
28th May 2013, 11:29 AM
What exactly are you implying?

That the poster may be the best-intentioned in the world but seems not to have a grasp on reality ! I absolutely wish I will be found to be incorrect, I really do...

john61
29th May 2013, 08:16 AM
I got the impression that a couple of members perhaps suspected some sort of con, or if not a con or anything underhand, then perhaps a suspicion of incompetence. This is human nature, we are all to a degree suspicious of something or other.
We should wait and see. I personally see this as being genuine and legitimate, and time will tell if I'm correct or not.
A museum such as this would be very welcome and I think we should all be in support of such a thing. But that's just my opinion.

mrthunder
29th May 2013, 10:02 AM
A museum such as this would be very welcome and I think we should all be in support of such a thing. But that's just my opinion.

Quite right ! But I doubt the announcement of such an exciting [and expensive] undertaking would be best served via a fan forum website rather than a properly structured media "event". If you had any financial backers this would be the first thing they insisted upon....I guess !

MLP*
30th May 2013, 08:06 AM
I think running an Anderson exhibition within an existing museum or tourist attraction would be a more realistic goal. Possibly one that runs for a few months over the school summer holidays.

Realistically, how many people would want to travel to an industrial estate to look at old props and models ? I suspect there are only a few hundred Anderson fans dedicated enough to do that.

mrthunder
30th May 2013, 01:52 PM
Strange that the original poster hasn't picked up on these less than positive vibes about his project and defended it. Especially as he wants folk to come forward with original items !!!

john61
31st May 2013, 08:03 AM
I agree with MLP. A stand alone Gerry Anderson museum wouldn't generate enough visitors to keep it open, especially one on this proposed scale. A general science fiction and fantasy museum or a science fiction and science fact museum, possibly with worksops and activities, with a section dedicated to British tv, not just Anderson, but Dr Who, Blakes Seven, Red Dwarf etc might stand a better chance of succeeding. Something that would appeal to more than just Anderson fans. I think that would be the way to do it.
As for Mrthunders comment about the original poster not responding to the threads negative vibe. Give him time, he may yet respond, and if his intentions are genuine and not some sort of scam, which I personally don't suspect, he may even find our comments helpfull.

DukeDexter
31st May 2013, 09:17 AM
The events in Leicester and at RAF Cosford over the last year have been excellent and generated a lot of interest. I prefer the idea of having such events regularly at different locations around the country to keep the flag flying, rather than have it sitting somewhere (probably London, yawn). All the stuff is in private hands so that might be more feasible for the owners.

john61
31st May 2013, 04:06 PM
Hey TommoHawker, how about a word or two from you. You started this thread, have you no comment to make. What do you think of the response? This is a public forum, you are entitled to have your say.
I think you started a good thread, so it's only right you contribute.

MLP*
1st June 2013, 12:56 AM
Hey TommoHawker, how about a word or two from you. You started this thread, have you no comment to make. What do you think of the response? This is a public forum, you are entitled to have your say.
I think you started a good thread, so it's only right you contribute.

According to his profile TommoHawker hasn't visited the forum since his last post on 9th May so he probably hasn't seen any of the subsequent discussion.

mrthunder
1st June 2013, 10:14 AM
I agree with MLP. A stand alone Gerry Anderson museum wouldn't generate enough visitors to keep it open, especially one on this proposed scale. A general science fiction and fantasy museum or a science fiction and science fact museum, possibly with worksops and activities, with a section dedicated to British tv, not just Anderson, but Dr Who, Blakes Seven, Red Dwarf etc might stand a better chance of succeeding. Something that would appeal to more than just Anderson fans. I think that would be the way to do it.

Absolutely spot on !

Mark42
1st June 2013, 09:51 PM
I have put on numerous Gerry Anderson model displays over the years, and several over the last two years, and my over-riding impression is that most children today do not have a clue what any of this stuff is! Neither are they remotely interested in it, unless their parents are fans who have force-fed them the DVDs. There can be lots of tables of interesting models, props, and merchandise and all the kids ever do is run straight past it all, usually looking for some game, or display with flashing lights, or some people dressed up in costumes. Only the parents stop to look and chat, although they are often then dragged off by their bored kids!!
Had a permanent exhibition been set up in the 1990s, when 'Thunderbirds' successfully hit the TV screen again, then I think it might have lasted for a year or two, now I simply don't believe it would have a chance.

Also I was contacted to see if I wanted to loan models & props, or if I knew of people who would loan stuff. The answer was no from both myself and my friends. All original items are now worth a fortune and good replica stuff is also worth a fair bit too. Sending your prized valuable and much loved items to a ex-factory unit on an industrial estate in Slough does not appeal. Displays like Cosford are probably the only way many owners will come together to display their items for a day, or two, before returning them safely home. I simply cannot see another big long-term display of mostly original items ever taking part again.

Unfortunately it also has to be said that the spelling has put many people off - its the first thing mentioned. Its not being snobbish or anything (and none of us here are perfect) but when someone you don't know asks you for something valuable, or makes an important public statement and they can't spell, or get names right (Eric Buckman as an example) then it simply sends out a negetive message to the people reading it. Regardless of any possible good intentions by TommoHawker it gives a bad impression to people which acts as a barrier to possible success. With hindsight the opening statement should have been proffessionally typed out using his real name, name of company, any investment backers, contact numbers and emails etc, together with linked photographs of some of the display items already prepared, that would probably have changed a few opinions here.

jjkayuk
6th June 2013, 11:18 AM
I agree there would be limited commercial sense to such a project but I do have very fond memories of the Blackpool Space city exhibition and the latest British TV events held at the National Space centre which resulted in my re-subscription to Fanderson after a 10 year holiday from the club.

To make it work I do think it needs to be in conjunction with an existing museum or attraction.

Does anyone know of a large ScFI/ Toy museum in the UK?

john61
7th June 2013, 08:43 AM
I don't know I'm afraid, but for what it's worth, in the past I have always enjoyed seeing Anderson exhibits most of all when instead of being stand alone, they've been part of a bigger event. I've liked being able to see the models and such stuff in context, maybe have a look at Sky One and then a bit further on there's Orac from Blakes Seven, then I might see an Eagle Transporter, and five minutes later I'm looking at a Star Wars light saber, so you have a bit of everything to look at and be fascinated by, and you can compare the Anderson displays with all the others. As much as I've loved Anderson all my life, it has always been much more enjoyable to see the exhibits this way. I think a mixed museum would stand a better chance of long term survival than just an Anderson museum, but I believe to stand the best chance, it would need to be very diverse and cover a great many interests, and even include things like Steeds bowler hat and umbrella from the Avengers, or Ron Elys loin cloth and knife from Tarzan, and obscure things like Clayton Moors mask from The Lone Ranger, as well as objects from Anderson and all the well known science fiction tv series and films. Something like that with many things to appeal to many interests and a few curios added for good measure, would, I think, fare better in the long term than a stand alone Anderson museum.

DukeDexter
7th June 2013, 08:47 AM
I think a mixed museum would stand a better chance of long term survival than just an Anderson museum, but I believe to stand the best chance, it would need to be very diverse and cover a great many interests.

The museum in Bradford is along those lines - bits of Dr Who, Harryhausen, Century 21 - just wish it was bigger. They probably left out more than they have on show :) Realistically, Anderson series don't have as large a following as Dr Who, Red Dwarf or Star Trek and none of those have permanent exhibitions.

Purupuss
7th June 2013, 09:35 AM
A good museum should only have a small percentage of its collection on show at any one time. And nothing should be on display for longer than six months in order to preserve the item from temperature fluctuations and humidity. Could a museum dedicated only to Gerry Anderson's works acheive this?

agbs6
7th June 2013, 04:01 PM
Not really on topic, but just thought I'd through in a mention of the Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green. I seem to remember they had a few (very few) items of interest to GA fans. Stuff from other shows and films too. Quite a nice museum to wander round anyway if you're in London. Free admission, as it's part of the V&A. http://www.museumofchildhood.org.uk/

amberdon
7th June 2013, 04:05 PM
Sadly, the museum in Bradford is apparently at risk of closure due to government budget cuts. I really must try and make the time to visit it before it closes if it does

http://www.denofgeek.com/other/national-media-museum/25884/please-help-bradfords-national-media-museum-under-threat

Agent Rebecca
16th June 2013, 08:34 PM
I suppose this isn't the time nor place to ask for donations of original (preferably soiled during broadcast) Sooty hand puppets. They would be held at the old Sooteries home for neglected toys (broken wands optional). ;)

mrthunder
28th June 2013, 01:07 PM
So just to finalise this thread - I take it we now consider the original poster a shyster or crackpot ?

john61
28th June 2013, 03:39 PM
Tomohawker, whoever that may be, has been rather silent. This may be because at heart it was nothing more than an attempt to scam people, or it may be because he was sincere and our rather suspecting response may have made him think 'Oh well if that's your attitude, forget it.' I guess we'll never know for sure.

mrthunder
29th June 2013, 11:09 AM
If Tomohawke was deflected from his ambition by just two or three posters on here being negative then thank The Lord no-one was taken in by him !

john61
29th June 2013, 01:19 PM
I know it's easy to do, but we shouldn't jump to conclusions. Nothing came of this, either good bad or indifferent, so we might be wise to just out it to bed now.

john61
30th June 2013, 09:44 AM
as a personal tribute to Gerry and to all you Fanderson devotees, I have rented an entire level of The Shard and intend opening a 'Worlds Of Gerry Anderson' museum. This museum will exhibit only the rarest most valuable Anderson memorabilia, and you can all be part of it and share in the pride of a job well done, which I know you'll all be eager to do. Here's my plan. if any of you have any Anderson related artifacts that are worth a lot of money, and for this museum they will have to be extremely valuable, just let me know through the forum, and I'll give you directions to a location where you can bring them and I'll take them there and then for my museum.you will of course be able to trust me completely with your treasured posessions, and after the exhibition has finished you will of course get them back, honest. Now I realise this may look a bit suspicious, but it isn't, honestly, it's just my way of showing my appreciation for Gerrys work and my way of sharing it with the world, and my way of letting you, my fellow forum members share the experience,which I know you'll all want to do. You can trust me. They don't call me honest John for nothing, and public records openly show none of those charges against me came to anything and the case was thrown out of court. I'm one of your own, would I con you?

deklerkt
4th July 2013, 02:41 AM
If such a museum would exist I may visit it once or twice. If all fans did it, there would not be enough people to make it a financially sound idea. Fan wishes will collide with financial (and copyright) reality as some pointed out.

I think I concur with David that the original poster was either living on cloud Nine or is not to be taken serious. A statement like "the original TB puppet cast" seems to contradict my belief the Tracy family is spread over many current owners.

As a last point: the admins of this site must be able to track down whoever the original poster was... no response upto now does make for the worst fears.
Perhaps the Bishop should investigate...

john61
4th July 2013, 12:20 PM
My last post may have been sent with humour in mind, but in all seriousness, if, and I repeat IF Tomohawks original post was intended as some sort of scam, then he (assuming a man posted it and not a woman) poses no threat now because we are all wise to it. I don't think another attempt will be made. People aren't daft, they can instinctively smell a rat when one is present, and if Tomo comes back in another guise and tries another scam ( again, benefit of doubt is important, so I again must say 'If the original post was indeed a scam') I think we'll all recognise it as one and be wary of it. Should someone ever post an idea or suggestion about a genuine exhibition or museum, I think we'll all be able to tell the difference.

mrthunder
4th July 2013, 12:26 PM
Personally, I think they were off their chump ! A true scammer would have presented a far more convincing "pitch". Maybe it was one of Alan Sugar's [unfilmed] tasks on this year's The Apprentice. Mind you, if it was, I wouldn't say no to an of the three lady finalists popping round for a look at what was on offer...

Sadly, in truth, not so flamin' much these days

john61
5th July 2013, 05:23 PM
Real scammer or not, nothing bad came of it which we can all be thankful for.

Mark42
5th July 2013, 07:35 PM
..........just remember that there will be a sci-fi model and props display at Smallspace this very Sunday, just 2 for entry. I'll be putting on a Gerry Anderson display, and part of Moonbase Alpha will be there too courtesy of the ASA gang, should be a great day.
see latest - http://www.hamex.co.uk/smallspace/smallspace-gen.html

Agent Rebecca
6th July 2013, 04:40 AM
I'll let anyone have my ashes of the original Venus for a good cause and throw in a few splinters from the true Supercar in the bargain! :p

Would you believe a slurpee cup from the last supper of the Space 1999 crew signed by all seventeen apostles, er I mean key-grips?

Well, if you're not laffing you're probably doing something less enjoyable.

Derek Eaton
10th July 2013, 08:34 PM
I've got 'soap suds' from the Space:1999 episode that might have had a working title of the same name.

john61
11th July 2013, 03:06 PM
Remember the episode of UFO when Foster passed out in the sauna and dreamed he was abducted by aliens? Well I've got the steam that came off the sauna stones, and it's the genuine steam from the episode too, the man in the pub who sold it to me said so. I'll gladly lend that to anyone putting an exhibition together. Any takers?