PDA

View Full Version : Barry Gray Poll

Derek Eaton
1st September 2011, 03:17 PM
On which show did Barry Gray do his best work.

DukeDexter
1st September 2011, 03:59 PM
On which show did Barry Gray do his best work.

Cripes, don't think I can pick one! :)

... got it narrowed down to 2.

capt_ochre
1st September 2011, 04:00 PM
Thunderbird Six, IMO.

Chrisof
1st September 2011, 04:22 PM
Had to say Stingray, brilliant fantastical sweeping scores. class theme tune.

sir-hamster
1st September 2011, 05:23 PM
It has to be Thunderbirds, i challenge anybody to watch "Trapped in the sky" fireflash landing and not be sitting on the edge of your seat by the end of it, the music through out the shows are just epic. But have to make special mention to Stingray's "March of the Oysters" a great track.

Andrew Kearley
1st September 2011, 06:00 PM
Space: 1999, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Picasso61
1st September 2011, 08:27 PM
Gee what a tough decision! :eek:

All of them I'd say but I narrowed it down to the one piece of Barry Gray music that made it to the UK Top 40 (Fireball from April 1963) so I had to choose XL5.:cool:

TonyB
1st September 2011, 09:16 PM
Got any more hard questions Derek.

Blimey where do you begin here, narrow it down to one, crikey that is hard.

That said if I absolutely had to pick just one it would be....

Stingray!

Or would it be....

UFO!

Or........

SimonG
2nd September 2011, 01:00 AM
I couldn't make up mind either between my favourite four shows; Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet..., U.F.O. or Space: 1999. Matters wasn't helped because when i was reading this thread, what should iTunes start playing but only Fireball XL5! ARRRGH!!:mad: So i plumped for Joe 90; nobody else had yet to vote for it and i love the theme anyway. So there.

Purupuss
2nd September 2011, 03:37 AM
Since the only pieces I really know are from Thunderbirds, I'm going to abstain this time.

Keryn
2nd September 2011, 09:15 AM
Choosing one is so difficult. My favourite music is from Fireball XL5 and Captain Scarlet.

As much as I could listen to the CS soundtrack over and over (especially White as Snow) I really have to vote for Fireball XL5.

Fireball is my absolute favourite song, the opening theme is fantastic too and the incidental music is typically melodic early 60s style pop tunes...which is my favourite music era, Yep, Fireball XL5 it is. :)

Derek Eaton
2nd September 2011, 09:38 AM
I realise this is a very difficult question as I only let you choose one option. Tastes change as we listen to more of the music over a period of time and its difficult to argue with Thunderbirds - however I do think Stingray has been under rated for some time as have the other earlier shows - like XL5.

Barry Gray's favourite was the theme to the Secret Service.

Lets have a few more voters please and then I might add some more polls on other subjects which might not be so hard if you can vote for more than one option.

Achilles Messenger
2nd September 2011, 10:07 AM
Yes it's a very difficult question, but for me it has to be Thunderbirds.

I've never ever tired of hearing the opening titles and I remember watching in awe at Barry's Centenary Concert (blimey, nearly 3 years ago!) just how the opening titles theme had been composed with all those violins! It was like watching a work of art.

DukeDexter
2nd September 2011, 10:31 AM
Space: 1999 (for all the emotion in those incidentals). But Stingray's a close 2nd! :)

Conrad Lefkon
2nd September 2011, 12:58 PM
I voted for Thunderbirds because it was Barry Gray's music which elevated this show from great family entertainment into a worldwide phenomenon. I also love the signature tunes of the 2 feature films, particularly "Thunderbirds Are Go!"

Having said that, the piece that I now associate most with Thunderbirds is "March of the Giant Oyster" from Stingray. In "Day of Disaster" this powerful and evocative music seems to fit the journey of the doomed space rocket to its launch site perfectly! :o

Simon Morris
2nd September 2011, 01:40 PM
I voted for Space:1999, but - what a hard decision to make!

A magnificent main theme, and as someone else has already stated, the sheer emotion of some of the pieces he composed for that show (the score for Black Sun I think is a good example....) were the deciding factors in my choice.

Runners up would be UFO (great main title) and Stingray (love that deep and menacing brass....)

TB2
3rd September 2011, 04:03 PM
I'm sorry for being bias here but due to me being a Thunderbird fan I would say that Barry Gray did his best work in Thunderbirds.

Virgil Tracy
4th September 2011, 10:24 PM
Yeah how can you ask something like that when they are all just soooo good, but as I would say that Thunderbirds is the best thing ever to be on TV I would have to go for that :p